The first permanent British Representative in Tbilisi was Sir Oliver Wardrop, who was Chief British Commissioner of Transcaucasus from 1919 until Soviet invasion of Georgia in 1921. Sir Oliver and his sister Marjory, a leading scholar of Georgian, have come to personify Georgian-British relations.
Following the collapse of the Soviet Union, Britain renewed diplomatic relations with Georgia, and the British Embassy was opened in Tbilisi in October 1995, initially in offices at the Sheraton Metechi hotel. The first Ambassador was Stephen Nash (1995-1998), followed by Richard Jenkins (1998-2001), Deborah Barnes-Jones (2001-2004), Donald MacLaren of MacLaren (2004-2007) and Denis Keefe (2007-2010). The current Ambassador is Judith Gough.
The British Government has now bought a land in Krtsanisi for a new purpose-built Embassy and Ambassador's Residence. Construction began in 2008 and was completed in 2010. Embassy moved to its new building in September 2010.
British Embassy, Tbilisi, Georgia
Getting to the Embassy
How we can help