Intercollegiate Intersectional Trophies
Awarded annually to the winner of the McMillan Cup Regatta.
History: The McMillan Cup Regatta is the oldest collegiate sailing event. Originally, the McMillan Cup was known as the Oliver Hay Trophy. The latter, was established in 1928 by Mr. Briggs Cunningham as an event to honor a well known Yale alumnus sailor and was retired in 1930. The McMillan cup was donated by Mr. William McMillan of Baltimore, MD, but with the understanding that his name not appear on the Cup. As the McMillan Cup Regatta was primarily an intercollegiate large yacht racing event for New England and Middle Atlantic States, it was sailed on the East Coast. Up to 1950, the regattas were held at various sailing centers in New England. After World War II, it became apparent that the competing colleges would have difficulty in obtaining sufficient boats to carry on the McMillan Cup. and in 1950 the Naval Academy offered their 44' Luders Yawls for Intercollegiate Yacht Racing (ICYRA) competition. Since that time the regattas has been a Chesapeake Bay event.
Awarded annually to the second place team in the Kennedy Cup Regatta.
History: LT Jeff Stanley Trophy is a memorial to honor LT Jeff Stanley, USN, Class of 1970, who was killed in an aircraft over the Pacific Ocean in 1974. Throughout his four years at the Naval Academy, LT Stanley served as an excellent example as a midshipman and Corinthian yachtsman. His participation on the Varsity Dinghy Team, Class "A" Ocean Racing Team, and on four Kennedy Cup Teams, caused him to be looked upon by both his superiors and peers as rare master of the varied aspects of Yacht Racing. It was in his enthusiastic support an participation in the Kennedy Cup that he is most remembered by those who knew him well.
Awarded annually to the winner of the to the team with the best scores from two days of racing in intercollegiate competition in large yachts.
History: The intrepid Trophy was established in 1990, but then not sailed again until 1998. It is an offshore event sailed in Navy 44's on the Chesapeake Bay. Day one involves a series of fleet races, with a winner determined. Day two's format is match racing for one round robin. The winner is the team with the lowest overall score considering both days of racing.
Awarded annually to the winning team of the Truxton Umsted intercollegiate regatta held in early March.
History: The Truxton Umsted Memorial Regatta was established in 1971 and is held at the United States Naval Academy.
Awarded annually to the winner of the offshore regatta held among the service academies.
History: The Shields Trophy is awarded annually to the winner of the offshore regatta held among the Service Academies. This competition was started in 1963 and then discontinued in 1986. However in 1996, the regatta was revived with nine schools participating in the event. The event in now run every year.
Awarded annually to the college with the greatest number of Fowle Trophy points, compiled from the results of the six ICYRA Championships: Dinghy, Team Racing, Women's, Singlehanded (men's and women's), and Sloop.
History: The Fowle Trophy honors the late Graduate Secretary of the New England District and Executive Vice President of the ICYRA/NA. Len served in both posts from their creation until his death in 1973 and his devotion to college sailing is without peer. College sailing today had its very beginnings in the organizational ability and personal drive of this one man.
Awarded to the school with the best combined scores for the two divisions. This regatta must be sailed in two person dinghies not less than 11 feet, nor more than 15 feet. The regatta is run in the two division fleet racing format that has been most commonly used in the ICYRA's 50 year history.
History: The North American Dinghy Championship Trophy is a memorial to the late Henry Morss, Boston Yachtsman and 1907 Bermuda Race winner, who was an MIT alumnus and benefactor. The Morss Trophy was presented in 1937 by Charles Francis Adams, Edwin A. Beardman, Charles P. Curtis, Chandler Hovey, and Gerald B. Lambert, nationally known yachtsman. The early competitions were sailed at MIT on the Charles River, but since 1946 the site has been rotated throughout the member districts of the Intercollegiate Yacht Racing Association.
Awarded annually to the college who wins the North American Team Racing Championship.
History: A full round-robin series is sailed with each college racing all opposing colleges once. The Walter C. Wood Trophy was donated by MIT graduates and friends in honor of Walter C. "Jack" Wood of MIT for his outstanding contributions to intercollegiate sailing. Jack was MIT first sailing director and, in conjunction with Len Fowle, was founder of college racing.
Awarded annually to the first place team in women's nationals.
History: In 1961, the New England Women's Intercollegiate Sailing Association (NEWISA) was formed when New England no longer permitted women to sail in varsity regattas. Eventually NEWISA, and her sister organization, the Middle Atlantic Association of Women Sailors (MAAWS), organized the first women's nationals in 1967. Policies and procedures for the event were set at the ICYRA annual meeting in 1970, and in 1978 the results of the Women's Nationals were first included in the scoring for the Leonard Fowle Trophy. Gerald Miller was the coach at Boston University in the late 1960's and was one of the originators of the first women's nationals.
Awarded annually to the winner of the North American Intercollegiate Sloop Championships by the ICSA.
Histroy: The ICYRA/NA Sloop Championship was inaugurated in 1972 with the first championship held at the University of California, Irvine in the Shields class sloops. To commemorate that event, the Pacific Coast I.Y.R.A. donated the Cornelius Shields Trophy. The trophy was named in honor of Mr. Shield of Larchmont, New York, who was one of the most well known sailors of his time, and was one of the largest benefactors of collegiate sailing. He donated more than 80 of the Shields class sloops to colleges throughout the U.S. and was named to the collegiate Hall of Fame in its initial Year.
Awarded annually the winner of the ICYRA North American Singlehanded Championship
History: This regatta, originated in 1963, is given in appreciation to Mr. Foster for his interest in collegiate sailing and devotion to singlehanded competition, particularly in the Finn class.
Awarded annually to the best collegiate sailor as selected by the ICYRA of North America.
History: The U.S. Naval Academy and the executive committee of the Intercollegiate Yacht Racing Association annually present this trophy to the "Best Intercollegiate Sailor." Captain Everett B. Morris was a world renowned yachting journalist and editor and a member of the Naval Academy's FALES Committee.
Awarded annually to the winners of the "A" division in the ICYRA Dinghy championship.
History: The Robert M. Allan Sr. Trophy was donated in memory of Robert M. Allan, Sr, who timeless to collegiate yacht racing is represented in this trophy.
Awarded annually to the winners of the "B" division in the ICYRA Dinghy championship.
Awarded annually to the second place team in the ICYRA Dinghy Championships.
History: This trophy was presented to the ICYRA by the Oxford University Yacht Club team and its Captain Jeremy Thomas in 1954 on the occasion of the first of a continuing series of British Universities vs. North American Colleges regattas held alternately in the United States and Great Britain every two years. The trophy has become emblematic of the second place team in the ICYRA Dinghy Championships.
Awarded annually to the third place team in the Dinghy Championship.
History: This Trophy was a first presented in 1971 and is awarded to the third place team in the ICYRA Dinghy Championship.
Awarded annually to the winner of the ICYRA women's championship in the "A" division.
History: This trophy, along with the Judy Lawson Trophy, were first given in 1967. The Madeline Cup is awarded to the low point skipper of "A" division in the ICYRA Women's Dinghy Championship. Ms. Madeline was the graduate secretary of MAAWS and helped initiate the first women's nationals.
Awarded annually to the winner of the ICYRA women's championship in the "B" division.
History: This trophy, along with the Madeline Cup, was fist give in 1967. The Judy Lawson trophy is given to the low point skipper of the "B" division in the ICYRA Women's Dinghy Championship
Awarded annually to the second place team in the ICYRA Women's Dinghy Championships.
History: This trophy along with the Miller Trophy was established in 1967. It is given to the second place team in the ICYRA Women's Dinghy Championships and honors Nancy Kleckner, the first graduate secretary of NEWISA.
Awarded annually to the winner of the National Collegiate Large Yacht Championship.
History: The John F. Kennedy Memorial Trophy was presented to the U.S. Naval Academy in 1965 by Mr. C. Robert Yeager in behalf of the many friends of the late President. President Kennedy's love for sailing is perpetuated in the annual competition for the trophy.
This trophy was given for the purpose of encouraging international and intersectional team racing between bonafide colleges and associations thereof. The challenge of the competition shall be comprised of not less than three or more than six crews
History: From the estate of Sir Thomas Lipton (1850-1931) this memorial trophy was offered to the Intercollegiate Yacht Racing Association of North America (ICYRA of NA) by Robert Bartly Smallwood in 1952 for Intercollegiate Yacht Racing to perpetuate the bonds of friendship and sailing forged by the famous British sportsman.
Awarded annually to the winner of the match racing series between two teams with three races comprising the series.
History: This trophy, along with the British-America, Lipton, and Performance Sailcraft trophies, was established in 1967. It is usually sailed in larger yawls and more recently in the Navy 44's.
Awarded annually to the winner of the British and American team racing championship.
History: This trophy, presented in 1954 by Mr. Kenneth H. Preston, Commodore of the Oxford University Yacht Club, is intended to promote the sport of team racing in yachts between the Universities of Great Britain and the United States of America.
Awarded annually to the winner of the ICYRA North American Singlehanded Women's Championship.
History: This regatta, first held in the fall of 1994, was named in appreciation of Janet Lutz. Janet graduated from Bouve, Boston in 1952 and then went on to receive her masters in education from Syracuse in 1958. Janet became a teacher as well as teh sailing coach at Pembroke where in 1961 she was one of the founders of NEWISA. She remained at Pembroke, which later merged with Brown University, for 32 years. Janet retired in 1990.
Awarded annually to the third pace team in ICSA National Women's Championship.
History: Ann Campbell has been a long time graduate secretary for the MAISA Collegiate Sailing District. The award was created to recognize Ann's many years of exceptional service to Collegiate Sailing.
Awarded annually to the second place finisher in the ICSA National Singlehanded Sailing Championship.
History: The award was established in 1995 to recognize George Griswold for his three decades of outstanding service to Collegiate Sailing. George was the graduated secretary for the MCSA District and led many schools in the formation and development of their teams throughout the Midwest and United States.
Awarded annually to the winner of the Mid Atlantic Spring Dinghy Championship
History: The award was established in 1941 to recognize the top team in the Mid Atlantic District.
Awarded annually to the winner of the Mid Atlantic Fall Dinghy Championships.
History: This award was established in 1964 to recognize the top team in the Mid Atlantic District.
Awarded annually to the winner of the MAISA single handed championships.
History: This trophy was established in 1983 and is awarded in November to the winner of the MAISA single handed championships.
Awarded annually to the top team's freshman in the Mid Atlantic district.
History: This award was established in 1963 and is awarded twice a year to the top team's freshman in the spring and fall.
Awarded annually to the winner of the MAISA Women's Singlehanded Championship.
History: The award was established in 1994 to recognize Faye Bennet. A senior judge an junior championship chairman, she has been a long time participant and supporter of junior and youth activities. This award is presented in October of each year.
Awarded to the midshipman of the graduating class who has done the most for Intercollegiate Sailing at the Naval Academy. Qualities of leadership, character, spirit, sportsmanship, sailing skills, and effort are determining factors.
History: This trophy was presented to the Naval Academy by Mr. Carleton Mitchell, former Rear Commodore of the Cruising Club of America, and by Mr. Decoursey Fales, former Commodore of the New York Yacht Club. The trophy is awarded annually to the midshipman of the graduating class on the Intercollegiate team and is the team's highest honor.
Won annually by the midshipman who contributed the most to varsity double handed sailing during the year through leadership, sailing skills, and dedication to the team.
History: Mr. Albert C. Cavileer, a chartered member of the Naval Academy Sailing Squadron from 1947 to 1962, served as a sailing coach and advisor to the midshipmen on the yawls and ocean racers. The midshipmen and members of NASS presented this bowl in honor of their friend for his devotion to the midshipman sailing program.
Presented to the midshipman who has contributed the most to the intercollegiate team as a crew member through leadership, sailing skills, and dedication to the team.
History: This trophy is dedicated in memory of Coast Guard Cadet Julia Babineau, who was an exchange student to the Naval Academy in 1980. Julia sailed for the Naval Academy and became a valued and special member of the dinghy team as a varsity crew. The following spring, she was tragically killed in a sailing accident at the Coast Guard Academy.
This award honors the outstanding single handed sailor on the intercollegiate sailing team.
History: The Class of 1916 Trophy was presented to the Naval Academy Sailing Squadron by the late Harris K. Lyle in 1976. It honors six fellow students from the Class of 1916 lost in enemy action. Those remembered with this trophy include RADM Henry M. Mullinix, RADM Charles P. Cecil, CAPT Casain Young, CAPT Frank Marston, CAPT Edward C. Fuller, USMC, and LTJG Stanton F. Kalk.
Won annually by the midshipman of the intercollegiate team who contributed the most to Varsity sloop sailing through leadership, dedication to the team, and sailing skills.
History: Established by NASS in honor of Mr. Cornelius Shields, Sr., this trophy recognizes his support of the Naval Academy Sailing program. Mr. Shields donated five Shields sloops to the Academy and served a number of years on the Fales Committee as an advisor. It also honors his long and exciting career as a yachtsman. He has the rare distinction of twice winning the Seawanhaka Cup, was the first winner of the Mallory Trophy and skippered Columbia during the final part of its successful 1958 campaign for the America's Cup.
Awarded to the outstanding female sailor on the intercollegiate sailing team. In selecting the winner, the qualities of leadership, character, spirit, sportsmanship, sailing skills, and individual effort are the determining factors.
History: The Fair American Trophy was presented to the Naval Academy by the late Harris K. Lyle. Mr. Lyle was a friend and great supporter of the midshipman sailing program.
Each year, the intercollegiate sailing team holds the Mrs. Campbell intrasquad regatta. The trophy is presented to the winning crew of this event.
History: The Mrs. Campbell Regatta was initiated by the midshipmen of the intercollegiate sailing team to honor Mrs. Ann Campbell, a devoted and loyal friend of the Navy Sailing Team. She has also spent a lifetime in support of intercollegiate sailing. The trophy was designed and made by the members of the dinghy team and is presented annually by Mrs. Campbell.
Won annually by the skipper and crew of the intercollegiate team who place first in the intrasquad regatta held during Commissioning Week.
History: The Ulmer-Seelig Memorial Trophy was established in 1972 to promote the coeducational aspects of Intercollegiate Dinghy Racing. It is presented in the memory of MIlton C. Seelig, Charlotte K. Ulmer, and Charles Ulmer, Sr., by their sons, Martin Seelig, Class of 1962, and Charles Ulmer, Class of 1961. The participants are members of the intercollegiate team and/or their family members, friends, or drags.
This award was originally presented to the plebe battalion which won the summer Knockabout Championship Race. In 2000, the award was given to the Fall Intramural Sailing Battalion Champions.
History: Admiral Blakely, class of 1892, was awarded the Navy cross, rose to rank of Rear Admiral in 1926, and was commanding officer of the USS Arizona during World War I. Commodore Decoursey Fales, former Commodore of the New York Yacht Club, presented this trophy in honor of Rear Admiral Blakely, under whom whom he served on the Arizona.
This trophy is presented to the midshipman helmsman who has the best combined score in the J/24 intersquad regattas held annually during the fall season. The winner counts scores from both a fleet and match racing intrasquad event.
From 1962-2000, the Hill Trophy was awarded to the midshipman of the graduating class who had written the best paper on sailing at the Naval Academy. In 2001, the award was rededicated to the best trimmer on the Varsity Offshore Sailing Team.
History: This trophy was presented to the US Naval Academy by Mr. Decoursey Fales, former Commodore of the New York Yacht Club, in honor of Admiral Harry W. Hill, USN (RET), former superintendent of the Naval Academy. The trophy is awarded annually during May Week to the graduating midshipman who has shown outstanding achievement in the area of sail trim through leadership, skill, and dedication to the team.
Recognizes captains of both the Varsity Offshore and Intercollegiate Sailing Teams.
History: This award, established in 1981 by the Naval Academy Parents Club of Northern California, is in memory of LTJG Tony Bilotti, Class of 1977, who lost his life in a tragic accident at sea. Tony was an active and enthusiastic member of the Yawl Team while attending the Naval Academy.
Won by the skipper of the Naval Academy vessel with the best corrected time in either the Annapolis to Newport race, in odd years, or the Newport to Bermuda race, in even years.
This trophy is awarded biannually to the Naval Academy Yacht with the second best corrected time in the Newport Bermuda Race.
History: The Scarritt Adams Shield was presented to the USNA in June of 1980 by Mrs. Scarritt Adams of Paget, Bermuda. This shield is given in memory of her late husband Captain Scarritt, USN, class of '30, who was the first midshipman from Bermuda to graduate from the USNA. The wood of this plaque is Bermuda cedar and came from a tree which was on the Adams's property in Paget. Capt. Adams was always keenly interested in sailing and was a member of the New York Yacht Club as well as the Royal Bermuda Yacht Club.
Presented to the navigator of the Naval Academy yacht which finishes first on corrected time in the biannual Newport-Bermuda race.
History: The Naval Base of Bermuda presents the Dan A. Kimball Trophy biannually. Prior to 1966, the trophy remained on display in the Administration Building of the Base. After the 1966 race, the trophy was donated for permanent display at the Naval Academy. Each year, NASS provides a suitable keeper trophy for presentation at the awards ceremony in Bermuda.
Awarded biannually to the midshipman navigator of the Naval Academy yacht with the best corrected time within its division in the Annapolis-Newport race.
History: The Carey Arthur Memorial Trophy is presented in the memory of LTJG Carey Arthur, Class of 1979. The name of the biannual winners are engraved on the trophy, which is on display in the Hall of Fame.
Awarded annually to the midshipman skipper of a Naval Academy Navy 44 Yacht with the best corrected time in the NASS Spring Regatta.
History: In 1957, Mr. Walter N. Rothchild donated his yacht Avanti to the midshipmen of the Naval Academy. However, before the yacht could be delivered, Hurricane Carole lashed the New England Coast and destroyed her. Mr. Rothchild recovered Avanti's wheel and forwarded it to the Naval Academy. It is now a perpetual trophy on display in the Hall of Fame.
The trophy is awarded annually to the Naval Academy Navy 44 skipper with the best overall finishing position in the AYC Fall Series.
History: On August 5, 1911, the New York Yacht Club Cruise Trophy was won by the Yacht Intrepid, owned and skippered by Lieutenant Lloyd Phoenix, USNA, Class of 1861. The trophy was subsequently gifted to the Naval Academy to be awarded to the deserving midshipman.
Awarded annually to the midshipman skipper with the best corrected time in the PHRF division of the Spring Long Distance Race.
History: This perpetual trophy was presented to the Naval Academy by Mr. E. Bates McKee of Annapolis. It honors Rear Admiral Harold E. Parker, who was a great Naval Officer and ardent sailor.
Presented to the midshipman skipper in the PHRF fleet with the best overall finish position in the Annapolis Yacht Club Fall Race Week.
History: The yacht Highland Light was donated to the Naval Academy by Mr. Dudley Wolfe and served the Academy well for 26 years. Mr. Wolfe also established a fund which plays a major role in supporting the Naval Academy Sailing Program. The Highland Light trophy was conceived by the Naval Academy Sailing Squadron as a memorial to Dudley Wolfe. The trophy was made from the wheel of the yacht and remains on display in the Hall of Fame.
Awarded to the midshipmen skipper of the Naval Academy varsity sailboat with the best combined finishing position among competing sailboats in the NASS race to Oxford and the Tred Avon Yacht Club's Hammond Memorial Race.
History: This award was established by the members of the Naval Academy Sailing Squadron to honor LCDR Frank Siatkowski, USN (RET). It hangs on the wall on the first deck of the Robert Crown Sailing Center.
Presented to the midshipman who has contributed the most to the Varsity Offshore Sailing Team during the year through leadership, dedication to the team, and sailing skills.
History: The Dubose Trophy was presented in 1958 to the Naval Academy by the Intercollegiate Yacht Racing Association, the predecessor to the Intercollegiate Sailing Association. It honors the outstanding midshipman on the Varsity Offshore team.
Beginning in 2001, this award was given to the outstanding foredeck crew on the Varsity Offshore Sailing Team. Prior to then, it was won annually by the midshipman skipper of the Naval Academy yacht with the best corrected time in the NASS spring series.
History: This trophy was established in 1974 and was presented to the Naval Academy by the Knickerbocker Yacht Club in Port Washington, New York. It is in recognition and commemoration of the club's 100th Anniversary.
Awarded to both the first class and third class midshipmen in the CSTS summer program who display excellence in seamanship and navigation.
History: The Taber-McWethy Award was established in recognition of exceptional service contributed by LTGEN Robert C. Taber, USA, RET and Captain Robert D. McWethy, USN, RET, in the development of the midshipmen offshore cruise credit sail training program at the Naval Academy. It honors the hallmarks of unparalleled professional competency, expertise under sail, personal dedication and bench marks excellence in seamanship and navigation.
The Holloway Trophy honors the midshipman who has contributed the most to Varsity Offshore J/24 sailing through his leadership, dedication to the team, and sailing skills.
History: This trophy was presented to the Naval Academy by Mr. Decoursey Fales, past Commodore of the New York Yacht Club. It was given in honor of RADM James L. Holloway, Jr., USN (RET), a former Superintendent of the Naval Academy.
Presented to the most well rounded and capable senior midshipmen within the CSTS program. Navigation, seamanship, and leadership are among the criteria evaluated.
History: Established in 1989, this award is named in honor of RADM Robert W. McNitt, whose accomplishments as a distinguished naval officer and in the sailing community best embody those traits desired in our future leaders.
Presented to the midshipman navigator whose professional skills and performance have contributed most to the Varsity Offshore Sailing Team.
History: This memorial trophy was presented to the Naval Academy by friends of the late LT Robert D. Huntington, Jr., USN, an ardent supporter of the Naval Academy Sailing Program. His leadership and talent as navigator and afterguard on Naval Academy yachts during 17 ocean races earned him the respect and admiration of the midshipmen who sailed with him.
Awarded to the midshipman of the graduating class for excellence in academics and performance in Naval Academy sail or power craft.
History: This trophy was presented in 1995 by the members of the New York Yacht Club to mark the 150th year anniversary of the US Naval Academy. Performance in seamanship, navigation, leadership skills, and academics will be assessed in determining the winner.
Awarded to the midshipman skipper who wins the Huntington / Steel regatta
History: The race for the sterling silver service set held in late November brings together all phases of the midshipman sailing squadron. the race is sailed in offshore boats with crews representing the dinghies, plebes, VOST, faculty, NASS, sail craft department, and coaches staff. Captain Robert Dache Steele, USN, class of 1945 was the Commodore of NASS and commanding officer of the Naval Station, Annapolis, from 1969 to 1972. As a tribute to him for his deep concern for the welfare of the midshipman, the sailing center staff and coaches organized this regatta in his honor. Upon the death of Robert Huntington, Jr. in 1973, Captain Steele graciously rededicated the Robert D. Steele regatta to the memory of his friend.
Awarded to the winning skipper of the Reina Mercedes Regatta typically held in Navy Knockabouts
History: The Reina Mercedes regatta is a race held anually in August of each year. Competitiors are employees of the Naval Station Command. Typically Knockabouts are used for competition in this NASS sponsored event.
Awarded annually to the member of NASS who has made exemplary contributions to the missions and programs of the sailing squadron
Awarded to the boat in the biennial Annapolis to Newport Race with the best corrected time.
History: The Blue Water Bowl was presented to the U.S. Naval Academy in 1947. It is awarded by the U.S. Navy to the winning skipper at the end of the race.
Awarded annually to the yacht with the best corrected time in the Naval Academy Sailing Squadron annual regatta.
History: The Aloha Cup is one of four trophies belonging to Lloyd-Phoenix that came into the possession of the Naval Academy. Lloyd Phoenix graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy in 1861 and served in until the Civil War. He resigned his commission in 1865, went into business, and became a yachting enthusiast. He won the Aloha Cup in an annual cruise of the New York Yacht Club in 1910, sailing his most famous yacht, Intrepid.
Awarded annually to the Yacht Club and skipper winning the Lloyd Phoenix Regatta. Originally, ten Naval Academy yawls manned by members of nine invited yacht clubs and NASS, sailed a series of races over a two period. Recently, this trophy has been designated as the award for US SAILING's large yacht championship.
History: Lloyd Phoenix graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy in 1861 and served in until the Civil War. He resigned his commission in 1865, went into business, and became a yachting enthusiast. He won the Aloha Cup in an annual cruise of the New York Yacht Club in 1910, sailing his most famous yacht, Intrepid.
Awarded annually to the service yacht having the best corrected time in the Annapolis to Newport Yacht Race and the Newport to Bermuda Yacht Race.
History: This trophy was given to the Naval Academy by the Commander of the US Atlantic Destroyer Forces. It is awarded annually by the Commander of the Cruiser Destroyer Force.