Green Card Application Immigration Questions COMMUNITYFORUM Resources

Prepare Your Green Card Renewal Online

Green Card Renewal

Prepare and complete the Application to Replace or Renew your Green Card (Form I-90) today! You will be able to file your official U.S.Citizenship and Immigration Service (formerly INS) form today.

  • Qualification Quiz: FREE  |   Start Quiz
  • Immigration Direct Preparation Fee: $149
Fast, Easy, Professional. Let us help you complete a USCIS (formerly INS) application today!

Green Card Renewal Form I-90

Green Card Renewal is an important process for Lawful Permanent Residents. Once a Green Card has been issued, Lawful Permanent Residents do not need to do anything else to extend or ensure their status in the U.S. However, the current green cards are valid for a period of 10 years only.

Even though a Green Card has an expiration date, the Permanent Resident status of a person never expires. Once a person has been given Permanent Resident status, it is never taken away unless the person voluntarily gives it up or acts in a way that is contrary to the purpose of a greencard. The Green Card itself is simply official documentation of the status, much like an identification card. Therefore, it is important to keep your card up-to-date. Having an expired Green Card may make it difficult for you to prove that you are a permanent resident, and this could also affect your ability to travel or to prove your eligibility to work in the United States.

In order to keep your card updated, greencard holders need to enter the Green Card Renewal process by filing Form I-90.

When should a Green Card Renewal application (Form I-90) be filed?

  • You must file a Green Card Renewal application if you are a Lawful Permanent Resident your card will expire within the next six months. A Green Card renewal application (Form I90) cannot be made more than six months in advance.
  • You must immediately file a Green Card Renewal application if you are a Lawful Permanent Resident and your card has expired.
  • You should file a Green Card Renewal application if you are a Lawful Permanent Resident who has an older version Green Card. These cards have no expiration dates. Though you are not required by the USCIS to renew the older card versions, the USCIS strongly recommends you apply to renew your Green Card.

When should a Green Card Replacement application (Form I-90) be filed?

There are times when a Lawful Permanent Resident needs to request a Green Card Replacement before the current card expires.

You should go through a Green Card Replacement process if:

  • Your card was has lost or stolen. Lost or stolen greencards should be replaced immediately by filing Form I90.
  • Your card was mutilated or destroyed. A Green Card replacement can be requested by filing Form I90.
  • Your card has a mistake on it. For example, you received a greencard and the name was misspelled, than you should immediately file for a green card replacement (Form I90) to have the mistake corrected.
  • Your card was never received. A Green Card replacement can be requested again by filing Form I90.
  • Your name has changed. If your name has changed due to marriage, divorce or for any other reason, a Green Card replacement can be requested again by filing Form I90.
  • You just turned 14 years old. If you became a permanent resident before you were 14 years old, you are required to replace your card when you become 14 years old.

What if I am a Conditional Permanent Resident?

If your greencard is valid for only 2 years, you are a conditional permanent resident. Do not use Form I-90 if you are a conditional resident and your status is expiring. Conditional permanent residents are required to file a petition to remove those conditions within 90 days of their card expiring.

If your conditional status was based on a marriage, you must file Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence.

If your conditional status was based on being an investor, you must file Form I-829, Petition by Entrepreneur to Remove Conditions on Permanent Resident Status.

Once your petition is approved, you will be sent a new greencard valid for 10 years. At that point, the Green Card Renewal or Green Card Replacement process involves the use of Form I90.

US Citizenship

U.S. Citizenship (Form N-400)

Replacement of Citizenship (Form N-565)

Certificate of Citizenship (Form N-600)

Citizenship Test and Interview (DVD)

Green Card

Green Card Renewal

Green Card Replacement

Green Card through Family Member

Green Card through Employment

Green Card through Marriage

Adjustment of Status

Conditional Permanent Resident

How to come to the U.S.A

Family Visas

F-2, Family Members of F-1

H-4, Family Members of H-1, H-2, H-3

K-1, Fiancé(e) Visa

K-3, Spouses of U.S. Citizens

K-4, Children of U.S. Citizens

L-2, Family Members of L-1

M-2, Family Members of M-1

O-3, Family of O-1, O-2

P-4, Family Members of P-1, P-2, P-3

Q-3, Family Members of Q-1

R-2, Family Members of R-1

TD, Family Members of TN

V-1, Spouses of U.S. Residents

V-2, Children of U.S. Residents

I-485, Adjustment of Status

I-824, Follow to Join

Student Visas

Academic Student

Exchange Visitor

Vocational Student

How to come to the U.S.A

Visitor Visas

Business Visitors

Tourist Visitors

Temporary Work

Exchange Visitors

Affidavit of Support

Change/Extend Visa

Duplicate Approval Notice

Replace Arrival/Departure Card

How to come to the U.S.A

Work Visas

Treaty Traders

Treaty Investors

Specialty Work


Intracompany Transfers

Extraordinary Ability

Religious Work

Employment Authorization

How to come to the U.S.A


Change of Address (AR-11)

Green Card Renewal (I-90)

Replace Arrival/Departure Record (I-102)

Petition for Alien Fiancé(e) (I-129F)

Green card for Family Member (I-130)

Travel Document (I-131)

Affidavit of Support (I-134)

Adjustment of Status (I-485)

Extend/Change Dependent Status (I-539)

Remove Conditions of Residence (I-751)

Employment Authorization Document (I-765)

Duplicate Approval Notice (I-824)

Immigrant Petition (I-140)

File a FOIA Request(G-639)

Application for Naturalization (N-400)

Replacement of Citizenship (N-565)

Certificate of Citizenship (N-600)

All USCIS Forms