Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2 > Classes and Balance Discussion > Engineer

Old 03-27-2011, 11:58 PM   #1
TwisterLemon

Lightbulb Some Gunslinger buffs

1. Make the teleporter entrance and exit cost 100 metal
(I saw this suggestion in another thread, and it seems like a great idea)

2. Make the mini-sentry blueprint smaller
It is a mini-sentry after all. This will allow the mini-sentry to be build in smaller spaces.

3. 3-hit combo should be 2-hit
Makes the combo worth using. Keep the no random critical hits.

4. No slowdown when moving the mini-sentry.
Self explanatory.

5. Mini-sentries can be thrown short distances when hauling
Self explanatory.

6. 2 mini-sentries can be built
Self explanatory

7. Pistol has 100% accuracy when standing still
Self explanatory

8. 3-hit combo buff
First hit: Normal damage
Second hit: Mini-crit
Third hit: Critical hit

Thoughts?

Last edited by TwisterLemon: 05-09-2011 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Added another buff
Old 03-28-2011, 04:19 AM   #2
Lacasito Rojizo

Why not?
Lacasito Rojizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:08 AM   #3
:: Chicky ::

Hey, these are great ideas !

/signed

Here are some additional reasons
1) He is an offensive engy, and with just 200 max metal on him, its easier to deploy an entrance and an exit right away, with 100 metals each.
I was originally thinking more on the lines of faster rate of building, but this mini buff is not bad too.

2) An ingenious idea

3) Agreed, with the lower firepower the combat/offensive engineer has without his lv 3 Sentry, the combo should be reduce from 3 hit to 2 hit to have more self- defense skills.

4) Yes yes yes, this allows quicker deployment as I love to pre-build my mini sg, and toss it into the battlefield when the battle starts.

Mini suggestion.
-Allowing the Mini sg to be thrown from a slight distance away.

Rationale
-to allow the mini sg to be deployed at small and high areas, improving its efficients and effectively.
:: Chicky :: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:22 AM   #4
SHlFTDono

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwisterLemon View Post
1. Make the teleporter entrance and exit cost 100 metal
(I saw this suggestion in another thread, and it seems like a great idea)

2. Make the mini-sentry blueprint smaller
It is a mini-sentry after all. This will allow the mini-sentry to be build in smaller spaces.

3. 3-hit combo should be 2-hit
Makes the combo worth using. Keep the no random critical hits.

4. No slowdown when moving the mini-sentry
Self explanatory.
1: Yes, or change some stats on it, It drives me crazy that my teleports and dispensor blow up when i switch between gunslinger and a wrench, when they do the same thing!? Really they need a better reason to make me re-do all that work.

2: Yes, Yes.

3: I disagree on this one, I get a good number of crits with the gunslinger, Technically you could hit a teammate twice? or a building twice then hit an enemy to get that crit, last i checked... the only way i could see it working is if the engineer had to be at a lower HP % in order to shave off 1 of those 3 melee hits.

4: yes, this would be nice.
SHlFTDono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:32 AM   #5
TwisterLemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ⓢⓗⓘⓕⓣ▫♘▫ View Post
3: I disagree on this one, I get a good number of crits with the gunslinger, Technically you could hit a teammate twice? or a building twice then hit an enemy to get that crit, last i checked... the only way i could see it working is if the engineer had to be at a lower HP % in order to shave off 1 of those 3 melee hits.
This is a bug and will most likely be fixed in a future update. And anyway, without the critical hit on the third punch, you would have already killed 7/9 classes in 3 hits (excluding Solider and Heavy) providing that they are not overhealed. Most of the time the third punch is missed or doesn't register, so to me it's a pretty useless ability.
TwisterLemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:27 AM   #6
FunnyBusiness

1. I like this idea, and it could be a little tough to determine if it's balanced.

2. Eh.. It's going to be pretty difficult to make it smaller, and I think map designers have already done a really good job on providing neat sentry spots. The thing is, this is supposed to be a fast-deploying, aggressively used sentry. It's also supposed to be the main drawback of the gunslinger, so effectively buffing it for static use strikes me as breaking the Gunslinger.

3. Hell, I think this could really be overpowered. I gotta say, full disclosure, I don't really like using the gunslinger for melee at all, and while making it a 2-punch crit would certainly mean it sees more melee use, COME ON. Engineer will never be a front line class. The Gunslinger allows you to advance and adapt faster, be more aggressive and mobile, yes. You still only have 150 life, and your weapons are what most every other class considers secondaries. I LOVE killing people with my shotty and pistol. However, if I'm on the front line, I'm not really gonna like all the surprises. The 3-crit punch was an added buff, not the main point of the weapon.

4. God, what a brilliant idea! I love this!

Now, seeing as I've dissed #2 and #3, let's see if I can't make up for it with a suggestion. Since you'll be deploying your mini-sentry more quickly, as well as making teleports more cheaply, why not go for the whole set and buff your dispenser too? If you gave the ammo supply mechanism the same range as the healing beam, you'd allow your team to be even more mobile, as well as not necessarily having to make your dispenser as exposed as before.
FunnyBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:27 PM   #7
Enigma314

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Maybe not. My idea was to make the 2nd hit mini-crit and 3rd hit crit.

4. Yes
Enigma314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:50 AM   #8
TwisterLemon

EDIT: Added a 5th buff.
TwisterLemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:30 AM   #9
GetCatTonight

Dunno how you'd make thrown sentries work, but the first 4 ideas are all pretty solid and not overpowering.
GetCatTonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:35 AM   #10
Giarc

Throwing mini-sentries? Awesome.
"Minisentry! I choose you!" "BEEP!"
Giarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:00 PM   #11
smudge

Please don't buff the mini-sentry. It is perfectly viable as it is. Also very annoying, should be discouraged.
smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:31 PM   #12
bterrill

I would just be happy if the gunslinger caused bleed.
bterrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 03:39 AM   #13
go123452

1. I actually like this. But I assume the teleporter is upgradable.

2. Huh. I really don't see the advantage of this, but I won't complain.

3. Nah. Gunslinger was never meant for melee. Buffing its melee capability is just dumb.

4. Pointless to be honest. Just press 5, press 1, press 4, press 1 and M1. The good thing about the slower haul speed is that it makes GS engis have to make a tactical decision about whether they want to hamper mobility while moving and be able to build 3 sentries, or build 2 sentries but retain their mobility and weapon.

5. Just no. What if I throw it into the enemy spawn, or stand beside my dispenser and rain minisentries out through a window and down onto the cart like a sticky spamming demo? Mindless MS sentry spam should not be encouraged.
go123452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:16 AM   #14
Yukkuri

I always felt that the mini sentry should be 75 metal, but I guess the tele exit idea works too.
Yukkuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:17 AM   #15
go123452

The point? You can still only build 2 Minisentries before running out of metal.
go123452 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2 > Classes and Balance Discussion > Engineer