Register or Sign in

Minecraft Xbox 360 update 1.8.2. - will I have to delete my existing Minecraft world? http://t.co/zAV7qtcy
More News
Fable: The Journey
Tuesday 9-Oct-2012 1:00 PM

Cart, horse and magic spewing mittens at the ready? Albion my way 360  16

Monday 8-Oct-2012 10:45 AM

Dishonored

Arkane finally lives up to its potential 360  17

Resident Evil 6
Monday 1-Oct-2012 3:00 PM

Resident Evil 6

A Resident Evil for all generations, or an unholy mess? 360  22

Dead or Alive 5
Tuesday 25-Sep-2012 8:00 AM

Dead or Alive 5

Old dog doesn't learn any new tricks, but is still worth keeping around 360  2

Kinect Nat Geo TV
Friday 21-Sep-2012 2:33 PM

Kinect Nat Geo TV

Let's learn about bears and then punch a wolf KIN 

• Thursday 20-Sep-2012 5:00 PM FIFA 13 With PES forming strong opposition, FIFA raises its game 360  40
  • Tuesday 18-Sep-2012 4:00 AM Borderlands 2 Buckle up your badassometer, because the big guns have arrived 360  7
  • Monday 17-Sep-2012 1:05 PM F1 2012 Formula One 3.0 360  2
  • Monday 17-Sep-2012 11:28 AM Pro Evolution Soccer 2013 Konami pulls a Man-City-style turnaround 360  4
  • Wednesday 12-Sep-2012 9:29 AM Jet Set Radio Spray it, don't say it with those GG rudeys XLA  4
  • Tuesday 11-Sep-2012 3:22 PM Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Namco's prizefighter is game for a laugh 360  1
  • Friday 7-Sep-2012 8:00 AM Mark of the Ninja Full marks? XLA  2
More Reviews
More Previews
More Features
Kinect Nat Geo TV
Friday 21-Sep-2012 2:33 PM

Kinect Nat Geo TV

Let's learn about bears and then punch a wolf KIN 

More Kinect
More Xbox Live
Thor
Thursday 29-Sep-2011 5:48 PM

Thor

Total Film review: Why Branagh's Marvel movie is more little cracker than hammer horror 8

Hall Pass
Tuesday 20-Sep-2011 11:11 AM

Hall Pass

The Farrelly Brothers hit maturity - in the face MOV  4

Hanna
Monday 5-Sep-2011 6:22 PM

Hanna

Like Elektra, but 10 years younger MOV 

Hobo With A Shotgun
Monday 5-Sep-2011 11:45 AM

Hobo With A Shotgun

Not quite "attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion" MOV  1

Rango
Sunday 21-Aug-2011 6:34 PM

Rango

Johnny Depp's weirdness infects Nickleodeon MOV 

Sucker Punch
Monday 15-Aug-2011 6:05 PM

Sucker Punch

Neither sucks nor blows MOV 

Your comments on our articles.

Cart, horse and magic spewing mittens at the ready? Albion my way

You won't be having squeaky lights-out money-sex in Fable: The Journey. Or conjuring a pie with rhythmic abandon. There's no pretence at smoke-and-mirrors morality either, and certainly no funny voices. Actually, there are a few silly voices but that's part and parcel of the Fable experience. In fact, just about the only recognisable trait that's made it into this unlikely spin-off is arguably the series' strongest - the distinctive world of Albion.

... read more

Postby JamieRIOT » 9 Oct 12 1:24 pm

It's a shame there isn't more good games on Kinect, otherwise I would already own one. I won't be buying one especially to play Fable: The Journey, but it does look quite good. The environments look fantastic.
JamieRIOT

Re: Fable: The Journey

Postby Kachi » 9 Oct 12 2:03 pm

I'm really looking forward to this. I preordered it based on the strength and enjoyment of the demo - so nice to actually have a demo before a release - and I really can't wait for it to arrive. Also, very happy it's a Kinect game you can sit down and play...
Kachi

Postby CunningSmile » 9 Oct 12 3:36 pm

Was this Log or Ed? Or have yet more members of OXM staff had loved one's kidnapped and held hostage by Lionhead? :wink:
Last edited by CunningSmile on 10 Oct 12 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"No, let the idiot talk. I'm starting to like the cut of his gibberish."
CunningSmile

Postby OXM ETboy » 9 Oct 12 3:51 pm

It was one of our freelancers, actually. I'm hoping to take a copy home tonight.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby ChillieBonBon » 9 Oct 12 6:09 pm

"You won't be having squeaky lights-out money-sex in Fable: The Journey"

But they were what made fable magical...
ChillieBonBon

Postby CunningSmile » 10 Oct 12 8:53 am

OXM ETboy wrote:It was one of our freelancers, actually. I'm hoping to take a copy home tonight.

Well please give us a second opinion if you do get the chance. I know you really liked the previews you played (despite much ribbing from me) and I'll be interested to know if you think the whole game lived up to the hopes you had.
"No, let the idiot talk. I'm starting to like the cut of his gibberish."
CunningSmile

Postby OXM ETboy » 10 Oct 12 9:03 am

I've played about an hour and a half, and the spell-casting recognition definitely goes to pot at times. It's nothing you can't adjust to, though, and my room isn't brilliant for Kinect - I generally have to push my chair into a corner before the sensor notices I'm there, and it sometimes confuses me with my wardrobe.

The storybook presentation and visuals are as charming as ever. Some of the jokes are a bit wooden.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby SidTheSloth » 10 Oct 12 9:23 am

You guys and girls have me baffled with this one. I've paid attention over the past few months as you've told us this will be better than we think - you'd played it, i hadn't, I was listening...

Now don't get me wrong, i hate the inevitable comments after nearly every review nowadays that suggest the reviewer can't play games/get a boyfriend or girlfriend/succeed at anything because they gave something a 7 instead of an 8 (and don't worry, i'm not going to suggest any of those things), but with reviews elsewhere landing and being less than complimentary about F:TJ i had to raise an eyebrow when i read this one.

The score is the score is the score etc - if the reviewer is happy with it and stands by it, then cool, i'm not going to question his/her integrity (like the recent conspiracy theorists who've been lurking), but from what i read and compare he/she seems to praise a lot of the elements that are being damned with faint praise, or just being damned? Kinect is a strange beast in that once configured results can still vary greatly from day to day even if no one goes near the bloody thing, let alone breathes in its general direction - so again, that's something else to take into consideration (but worrying if only a handful of so many reviewers could get it configured right?).

To my main point, the one thing i feel 'missing' from the review - and maybe it was cut for editing - is the quality of this game in context to others. It praises it as a Kinect game, and compares it to Fables past, but by your guys own standards, shouldn't it then be made to stand up against every other 360 title - especially as this is what Lionhead & MS said it was going to be, the kinect solution for core gamers/kinect haters? Criticism was thrown when darksiders 2 got a 7 as it's 'bigger & better than the original' - yet quite rightly you compared it to other games around at the time and felt it did nothing to stand out from them and reached the conclusion it was good but not amazing (obviously 7 being above average on a 1-10 scale). By giving this an 8 it would suggest it falls only just short of the greatness of XCOM/Dishonored - but compare the reviews themselves away from the scores and the latter are lavished with praise almost to the point of bursting, whereas the fable one - seemingly like the game - trundles along saying nice things but never has you thinking 'WOW'... :|

Being the official mag you guys & gals are unfortunately open to easy, if unfounded and wild criticism/speculation, and when there's such disparity it's inevitable there will doubtless be extra scrutiny - and i'm not sure in this example the review stands up to that....? People shouldn't just compare scores, but they inevitably do, and with an 8 it puts this alongside Max Payne 3, Battlefield 3, Dragons Dogma and even Fable 3 - something the review itself never seems to back up?

Just my thoughts/ramblings anyway - hopefully it reads as constructively as it was meant!! :?

EDIT: Bugger, written all this and Ed's already given his second opinion!! :)
SidTheSloth

Postby FishyGinger » 10 Oct 12 9:48 am

Even with Ed's comments I agree with Sid. There does seem a considerable difference between other reviews and this one. Obviously different tastes and all that jazz but it seems like a core game for kinect, one of the biggest of recent times and a fable game which is the flagship microsoft rpg. So why is it out to a freelancer?

I know one opinion is just as valid as another, but seems like something you would have done in house. Same with the CVG review of resi 6, that was pushed out to a freelancer for what was supposedly a big title.
The report makes crystal clear that the police shot the right man, but as far as I'm aware, the wrong man exploded. Is that clear?
FishyGinger

Postby OXM ETboy » 10 Oct 12 10:17 am

It was given to a freelancer because we didn't have time to do it in-house (I'd have loved to review it, but I've got other fish to fry). Things are pretty busy right now, with Mike's post still unfilled and all these gosh-darned open world titles to review.

I'll let you know how I get on with this, but I think the key thing - as ever - is to try the demo. Kinect gaming is such an ambiguous beast - some people fly off the handle at the slightest hint of misrecognition, others are happy to overlook such flaws providing the overall experience is an entertaining one. I do think some people (naming no names, etc) need to rethink their assessment criteria, though. It doesn't seem to occur to them that having to control their gestures, posture and so forth might be part of the challenge, rather than an imposition.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby FishyGinger » 10 Oct 12 10:38 am

Fair play. The frying fish comment sounded a bit threatening though :D am I going to have to look over my shoulder on the way home tonight.

Why don't you hire patrick moore, he must be getting bored looking up at the sky. Pay him a monocle a week and I'm sure he'd be all yours.
The report makes crystal clear that the police shot the right man, but as far as I'm aware, the wrong man exploded. Is that clear?
FishyGinger

Postby SidTheSloth » 10 Oct 12 1:30 pm

Cheers Ed, not sure if my main point didn't get lost in the midst of my ramble. I wasn't so much talking about my own perceptions of the game and whether i'll buy it, just more how i perceived the review and how it may be received by others. I don't care one jot about Resident Evil, but seeing scores so varied i read a few reviews out of general interest and your guys one was one of the higher scores, but was backed up by the piece itself, something i'm not convinced this one does too well at all - it tends to read that it's pretty good, not too bad with some really enjoyable bits but all the way through i can almost feel the writer struggling to avoid the almost inevitable caveat of "for a kinect game". I could well be off the mark but it just reads and appears like it got an easier ride (and thats not an attempt at a terrible pun) because it's a kinect game, whereas surely it shouldn't matter if it's kinect, controller or both - above all else it's a 360 game...?

As for the other reviews, i can take an educated guess as to who you may be referring and yeah, to be honest there is plenty more feedback i could throw in that direction - and it might not be as constructive - but i'm not a member of that site. Annoyingly, i tend to think said person often picks up some good points and has a good understanding of games as a whole but tends to lose all respect from me by descending into largely myopic and ego/controversy seeking rants that do himself no justice - but then others love him so go figure...?!

Freelance thing doesn't bother me one jot really, doesn't mean they're any less qualified!? Doesn't Log (as one example) still moonlight for a few other mags now and then to review a few non xbox games - same difference?

As for Señor Salmon up there, call me crazy, call me paranoid, call me psychic, but i've got this ever so sneaky suspicion he may not actually be a fish...! Shocking i know, but even with touchscreens nowadays you generally need fingers to type, and whoever heard of a fish with fingers? You'll be telling me next they're a delicacy found in places like iceland and people eat them on sandwiches! To be honest, i bet he's not even really ginger - hows that for a midweek conspiracy theory? ;)
SidTheSloth

Postby OXM ETboy » 10 Oct 12 1:58 pm

I could well be off the mark but it just reads and appears like it got an easier ride (and thats not an attempt at a terrible pun) because it's a kinect game, whereas surely it shouldn't matter if it's kinect, controller or both - above all else it's a 360 game...?

I don't know mate - by my lights, the writer makes a case for the storyline, pacing and articulation of the core concepts being worth your time, irrespective of Kinect's contribution. I agree that it's tempting to become a Kinect apologist when you're sticking up for a Kinect game, but I don't think that's a problem here. Is anybody else of the same mind?

Agreed that there are some writers out there who are more interested in making names for themselves than offering a considered opinion, though I wasn't really talking about any single reviewer. As regards the alleged gingery fishiness of FishyGinger, I shall presently undertake a proper enquiry into the matter. We must study his habits...
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby FishyGinger » 10 Oct 12 2:13 pm

Oh god my cheeks might just puff out so much I float at an accusation like that. The truth is when the chernobyl disaster struck shortly after my birth, the radiation went as far as the norfolk broads. Due do centuries of inbreeding, mixed with the powerful radiation, I became the human fish! Ne'er dowells despair, I am the finger licking good fishy b*stard crime stopper.

Anywho, I've no idea this mystery reviewer of which you hint at, in the words of my village idiot, who (s)he? As for freelancers, of course they are no less valid and I'd imagine some of the better ones can afford to be freelance, but when you have a fairly close circle of reviewers constantly on the case for a site/magazine such as this you get a feel for the reviews and what games they've done previously....not sure where I'm going with this but maybe someone gets my meaning. Demo is the best idea indeed.

As for kinect getting an easier ride, well shucks, I don't know. Games should be reviewed as games overall, not based on how you play them. If the controls are tart, that should be taken into account. I think to a degree the problem is with scores in general. The average game nowadays don't get 5's, so 5 can no longer be average, 7 is closer to an average game by most reviewers.

NB I am ginger. Issues regarding my fishy...ness, could be disputed. As much as Batman is a bat I suppose....
FishyGinger

Postby SidTheSloth » 10 Oct 12 3:51 pm

OXM ETboy wrote:
I could well be off the mark but it just reads and appears like it got an easier ride (and thats not an attempt at a terrible pun) because it's a kinect game, whereas surely it shouldn't matter if it's kinect, controller or both - above all else it's a 360 game...?

I don't know mate - by my lights, the writer makes a case for the storyline, pacing and articulation of the core concepts being worth your time, irrespective of Kinect's contribution. I agree that it's tempting to become a Kinect apologist when you're sticking up for a Kinect game, but I don't think that's a problem here. Is anybody else of the same mind?

Like i say, i could be talking out of my proverbial - it's just my interpretation. I agree he makes it sound worth investigating, but then goes and scores it so close to Dishonored - the review of which makes it sound essential and amazing etc - just seems a bit inconsistent? I'm not exactly one to get bent out of shape over a score anyway - i tend to make my own mind up (as some of the horrors in my collection confirm) as i go along - but this was 'the one' we were told many moons ago that would prove Kinect could provide games to rival Gears/Halo, and whilst i'm seeing a score to suggest that, i'm not feeling it from the review - it suggests more that it's a great kinect game, and a decent game worth a look as a game in general - imo of course. Maybe i've just spent too long thinking about this anyway, i'm going on like it's life endingly important, and all it started out as was a quick observation!! :|

FishyGinger wrote:As for kinect getting an easier ride, well shucks, I don't know. Games should be reviewed as games overall, not based on how you play them. If the controls are tart, that should be taken into account. I think to a degree the problem is with scores in general. The average game nowadays don't get 5's, so 5 can no longer be average, 7 is closer to an average game by most reviewers.

Agree 100% with your last point sir (and the point above it actually), and i think ultimately that's the point i was trying to make about this! I'm awaiting Edge's review quite eagerly as they're my other go-to site for reviews and stuff. I know other people think they're over harsh sometimes but i've always found them quite honest. Noticed a few of the people on their site are asking them what's going on as they gave out two 9's this week which is unprecedented for them apparently! :wink:

And of course i jest Mr Fish, with the internet growing ever touchier it's refreshing to insult someone who knows a joke when he sees one, regardless of how little humour may actually be involved! :wink:
SidTheSloth

Next