Minecraft Xbox 360 update 1.8.2. - will I have to delete my existing Minecraft world? http://t.co/zAV7qtcy
More News
Medal of Honor: Warfighter
Saturday 27-Oct-2012 12:44 PM

Medal of Honor: Warfighter

Like Ronseal, does exactly what it says on the tin. Including the burning eyes and nausea upon prolonged exposure 360  5

007 Legends
Tuesday 23-Oct-2012 11:08 AM

007 Legends

The game's bombed. Game's. Bombed. 360  15

DOOM 3: BFG Edition
Monday 22-Oct-2012 11:09 AM

DOOM 3: BFG Edition

Hell isn't other people, it's getting shot in the back 360  20

Happy Wars
Friday 19-Oct-2012 3:23 PM

Happy Wars

Xbox 360's first free-to-play game doesn't quite dazzle XLA  11

WRC 3
Friday 12-Oct-2012 12:51 PM

WRC 3

Third time sucky 360  8

Forza Horizon
Friday 12-Oct-2012 8:46 AM

Forza Horizon

Xbox 360's best sim gets a brasher, brighter spin-off 360  13

More Reviews
More Previews
More Features
Kinect Nat Geo TV
Friday 21-Sep-2012 2:33 PM

Kinect Nat Geo TV

Let's learn about bears and then punch a wolf KIN 

More Kinect
More Xbox Live
Thor
Thursday 29-Sep-2011 5:48 PM

Thor

Total Film review: Why Branagh's Marvel movie is more little cracker than hammer horror 8

Hall Pass
Tuesday 20-Sep-2011 11:11 AM

Hall Pass

The Farrelly Brothers hit maturity - in the face MOV  4

Hanna
Monday 5-Sep-2011 6:22 PM

Hanna

Like Elektra, but 10 years younger MOV 

Hobo With A Shotgun
Monday 5-Sep-2011 11:45 AM

Hobo With A Shotgun

Not quite "attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion" MOV  1

Rango
Sunday 21-Aug-2011 6:34 PM

Rango

Johnny Depp's weirdness infects Nickleodeon MOV 

Sucker Punch
Monday 15-Aug-2011 6:05 PM

Sucker Punch

Neither sucks nor blows MOV 

XCOM: Enemy Unknown - gaming's original Hard Mode returns

Your comments on our articles.

Part 2: Ed doesn't save the day

There's been a lot of discussion lately about Easy versus Hard Mode, about whether "challenge" really has to equal "frustration", about qualitative differences between difficulty settings. Let me tell you how you know you're playing XCOM: Enemy Unknown on anything above Normal - it's the grenades.

... read more

XCOM: Enemy Unknown - gaming's original Hard Mode returns

Postby SkinnerChinner » 20 Sep 2012, 11:03

Great article Ed! Seriously cannot wait to get hold of the game, the next 3 weeks are really going to draaag
SkinnerChinner

Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown - gaming's original Hard Mode return

Postby michaelhill2110 » 20 Sep 2012, 16:45

hmmmmm... you've given me cause for concern there... i HATE designed bad luck, if i make a bad call and get my mens plasma riddeled asses handed to me then thats fine, i accept that, in fact i love that, and if on the highest difficulty the punishment for a mistake is instant and irriversable failure then all the better. but if i've put my men in the right place, given them the right kit, optimimised skill sets, and i fail because the computer randomly thinks i should this time??? thats not right,. its NOT what makes a good game. i will be getting this game (it's a B-day presant) and i probably will love it, i just don't want my enjoyment ruind by unfare programing.
michaelhill2110

Postby OXM ETboy » 20 Sep 2012, 17:43

There have been a couple of times where I've felt like the game's cheated me, but 95% of my f**k-ups are purely the result of my own incompetence :) Don't worry.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby kronk10 » 21 Sep 2012, 15:57

Gonna be a day one purchase for me really did not see this game coming and it looks brilliant, there has been alot of under the radar games recently and they all seem to be really good!
kronk10

Postby Maverick_McCool » 22 Sep 2012, 05:05

Totally agree with Kronk . I had no interest in this game until I saw the mighty fine vids posted by you good OXM chaps and now I couldn't be more stoked! This , Borderlands 2 , Dishonoured and the new Hitman game will keep me happy till the new year.
I used to make arrow in the knee jokes , then I took a kick to the balls.......
Maverick_McCool

Postby scratchm » 26 Sep 2012, 12:50

michaelhill2110 wrote:i just don't want my enjoyment ruind by unfare programing.

Remember, a 95% chance of success is still a 5% chance of failure. That's once every twenty attempts that you will miss a 95% shot, and while it feels surprising and upsetting and like the world is going to end (which it probably will, for that particular soldier) it also feels completely fair and doesn't ruin anything.

Likewise the times when your squad members survive being shot at by aliens at point blank range don't ruin anything or make the game feel too easy. It's just dumb luck sometimes. You get used to it, and in the end it actually adds to the fun.
scratchm

Postby michaelhill2110 » 30 Sep 2012, 21:01

Just preorder this so will get it as soon as it comes out, to my doorstep,

I get what you saying sratchem, and that sort of thing is fine, as you say, you get user to it, as a warhammer 40000 player I know what it's like to have the dice turn against you. What I'm talking about is where you miss the 95% shots 5 times in a row, and the baddies get 25% ers to hit right between the eyes, I've seen it before on other games, and I don't want it to happen in this one. A game like this should make you feel like " I ran out of luck this time but next time I'll have them" not " I swear this game is cheating!!"
michaelhill2110

Postby kronk10 » 01 Oct 2012, 11:36

do we know when there might be a review for this game and what the hell happened to edwins video ? i watched it all then wanted to watch it again (proper addicted to xcom vids) and its no longer visible? I have pre-ordered the game from GAME and got the elite soldier edition cannot wait till it comes out!!!!
kronk10

Postby OXM ETboy » 01 Oct 2012, 11:40

Sorry, kronk - we had a bit of a whoopsie with 2K PR over that video. Turns out alien bases are embargoed. The review's not far away, though.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Briktheprop » 01 Oct 2012, 12:52

Put this on pre-order straight away, and even went and downloaded the original game on Steam to satisfy my craving for alien-bashing.

Shame about the alien base video - only got about 15 minutes into before I headed out to the pub for the evening... rookie mistake.

11 days and counting.
Briktheprop

Postby kronk10 » 01 Oct 2012, 13:44

Briktheprop wrote:Put this on pre-order straight away, and even went and downloaded the original game on Steam to satisfy my craving for alien-bashing.

Shame about the alien base video - only got about 15 minutes into before I headed out to the pub for the evening... rookie mistake.

11 days and counting.

The alien base video was really good looks bloody difficult on iron man mode sorry to hear the video got pulled looking forward to xcom finally a decent RTS on the xbox
kronk10

Postby SidTheSloth » 02 Oct 2012, 23:10

Matt/Ed - sorry i'm late to the party, haven't been around to post this for a while, but genuinely, hats off, congrats, well done and all that stuff for this video series and the other related articles. The internet is far too quick to complain when things are wrong and mistakes are made but it's always a little less forthcoming when praise and credit is due - which it most certainly is for your fine coverage of this!

I feel genuine excitement for something that genuinely feels fresh - despite its old school roots - and especially on 360!

One thing i haven't seen mentioned anywhere, and doesn't at all seem to be a hinderance in the vids is the controls - presumably not a problem on the pad vs ye olde keyboard/mouse combo?
SidTheSloth

Postby Plamsa wing » 02 Oct 2012, 23:19

I asked Webb that over on X360A, the full quote.

The controls are ridiculously simple and because it's turn-based, you never feel like the consoles are at a disadvantage. You select who you want to move with the bumpers, move the cursor with the thumbstick, A moves them and right trigger brings up the combat menu. It's that easy.

There are a few issues with multi-storey buildings in terms of controls, but honestly, that seems to be a game issue as opposed to a console issue. Just because the controls are simple though doesn't mean the game is... far from it. The whole perma-death of the characters means you have to be extra careful when proceeding forward.

Steam has a demo up, I'll give it a go tomorrow if it works, it should have controller support so I'll have a look myself.
"I quite like bottoms!"
Plamsa wing

Postby SidTheSloth » 03 Oct 2012, 23:25

Plamsa wing wrote:I asked Webb that over on X360A, the full quote.

The controls are ridiculously simple and because it's turn-based, you never feel like the consoles are at a disadvantage. You select who you want to move with the bumpers, move the cursor with the thumbstick, A moves them and right trigger brings up the combat menu. It's that easy.

There are a few issues with multi-storey buildings in terms of controls, but honestly, that seems to be a game issue as opposed to a console issue. Just because the controls are simple though doesn't mean the game is... far from it. The whole perma-death of the characters means you have to be extra careful when proceeding forward.

Steam has a demo up, I'll give it a go tomorrow if it works, it should have controller support so I'll have a look myself.

Ah, cheers dude - perfect answer - saw your follow up in t'other thread too! :)
SidTheSloth

Postby elaintahra » 18 Oct 2012, 09:34

michaelhill2110 wrote:hmmmmm... you've given me cause for concern there... i HATE designed bad luck, if i make a bad call and get my mens plasma riddeled asses handed to me then thats fine, i accept that, in fact i love that, and if on the highest difficulty the punishment for a mistake is instant and irriversable failure then all the better. but if i've put my men in the right place, given them the right kit, optimimised skill sets, and i fail because the computer randomly thinks i should this time??? thats not right,. its NOT what makes a good game. i will be getting this game (it's a B-day presant) and i probably will love it, i just don't want my enjoyment ruind by unfare programing.

" i fail because the computer randomly thinks i should this time"

Interesting, so you are of an opinion that all of the soldiers can always shoot 100% accurately?
elaintahra

Next