Support the Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Catcheside & Burke 190mm Utility

Hybrid View

Catcheside & Burke 190mm Utility

I'm beyond excited to share with you something I've been waiting almost two years to see realized, and I am very flattered that Will wanted to work with me on a knife!

Catcheside & Burke 190mm Utility

This is not a knife for my personal use, this is a prototype. We will be making small batches of these together in the future.

The design is my own, I created this to be the most useful knife possible in a small package. It embodies everything I want to see in a knife like this, from ease of maintenance to knuckle clearance. I could use a knife like this exclusively in a kitchen, and not want for anything but a slicer.

A kicker from what you would guess at first glance--it's stainless! It is a steel that I am not sure we can disclose, only that it is very similar to AEB-L, but with some additional alloying elements. I am not sure I have ever used a forge-finish monosteel stainless knife before, and I'm pumped that this one is the first. Will is responsible for executing the design brilliantly, finding the best steel, and basically making one of my dreams come true.

I have not put it through the paces yet, and I will post more detailed pictures with measurements/etc after the fact. I'm just so excited that I had to share. So excited that I got it at about 1pm yesterday with nothing but a bare tang and I made 2 mockup handles, 3 test sheaths, and the ones that you see in the picture by 6:30pm.

The sheath is some sweet Walnut and the handle is Stabilized Claro Walnut Burl and Hard Maple. It's also not the final handle, because it is too narrow. I got a wild hair to try a low-profile handle, and it's just over half an inch thick. I like it, but it needs to be thicker for this knife, so I'm keeping it and making another, same materials.

You guys heard it first!

Oh, I wanted to ask. I want to put a nice matte stone finish on the blade road, that way it is ensured to be level and easy to sharpen and will always look new, provided you have a nice muddy stone. What do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by BurkeCutlery View Post
    Oh, I wanted to ask. I want to put a nice matte stone finish on the blade road, that way it is ensured to be level and easy to sharpen and will always look new, provided you have a nice muddy stone. What do you guys think?
    I like that idea, would make it easy to thin with each sharpening session. Looks like it could be a very useful knife.

exciting! Two of my favorite knife guys working on one knife design. Please keep us posted Eamon and Will!

Ummm...... That looks like my knife

Quote Originally Posted by BurkeCutlery View Post
    I'm
    beyond excited to share with you something I've been waiting almost two years to see realized, and I am very flattered that Will wanted to work with me on a knife!
    The design is my own, I created this to be the most useful knife possible in a small package. It embodies everything I want to see in a knife like this, from ease of maintenance to knuckle clearance. I could use a knife like this exclusively in a kitchen, and not want for anything but a slicer.
    Congratulations Eamon! Cool concept, stainless + KU...I didn't know that could be done.
    To understand recursion, you must first understand recursion.

Quote Originally Posted by Zwiefel View Post
    Congratulations Eamon! Cool concept, stainless + KU...I didn't know that could be done.
    Watanabe has been doing them for a while. Here is a nakiri, stainless clad blue paper steel with a kuro-uchi finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    Watanabe has been doing them for a while. Here is a nakiri, stainless clad blue paper steel with a kuro-uchi finish.
    Thanks! I'll keep that in the back of my head for a future fix
    To understand recursion, you must first understand recursion.

Good looking Eamon and Will. I look forward to it.
    A Thneed's a fine something that all people need! -Dr. Seuss

Congrats on the collaboration Will and Eamon - I am sure the handle will work itself out. Look forward to the results.

+ Reply to Thread