Like Tree37Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Liked
    25 Liked Posts
    Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus, iPad 2
    Carrier
    Verizon (El Diablo)

Default What's really keeping you tied to Android? Would you change?

What's really keeping us tied to Android?

Most of the time, I justify it like most: freedom, customization, and variety.

Those reasons seem to cover the majority of what i read in various blogs and forums around the web. We who love Android defend these principles to a fault.

It's the basis of our devotion. Yet...

We constantly find that we're not completely satisfyed with various aspects of our platform. Updates not being handled properly. Hardware not tied to software as tightly as we may like. Carriers screwing us over and most of all...

Google and Android not getting the premium recognition as Apples iOS gets.

Granted, you can negate a few, if not all these problems by purchasing a Nexus device or rooting.

But what would it take to get some of us to try another platform?

I briefly had a fling with an iPhone 4S. I had to return it because the screen was too small and it felt fragile in my hand. I was terrified I was going to shatter it every time I left it out of its case. Also, with no built in voice guided navigation, I was sorely missing my GN.

Those are only a couple of issues I had with that particular device, ones that may one day be remedied.

Now, what about you all?

What does the competition have to do to steal your loyalty? Can they at all?
    DrDoppio likes this.

Liked
    27 Liked Posts
    Device(s)
    HTC EVO 4G LTE; Nexus 7
    Carrier
    Sprint

Default Re: What's really keeping you tied to Android? Would you change?

Android for life here.......iOS is just too simple, I feel like it was made for people who don't want to be interested in their phone they just want it to do what it needs to do and not complicate their life in any way. I quite enjoy the feeling of getting to know a new phone and tinkering with it, something that would be downright boring on a crApple phone. Android always has something new, and regardless of all the griping that we may do over the little things I think we all love our platform.

I couldn't and wouldn't change over.
    Thank You, Come Again!
    AC Forums Mod

Thanked 3,227 Times in 1,983 Posts
    Liked
    4,958 Liked Posts
    Device(s)
    ALL THE NEXII
    Carrier
    Verizon
    ROM
    THY HOLIEST UNICORN

Freedom, power, the ability to change my stuff at a moment's notice. Complete integration with stuff I use daily (Google, GMAIL, etc.).

That and after having an iPad for 2 years, I can say that I gave iOS a shot and it's just not as good for me.
    Thanked by:
    21plays likes this.

Liked
    10 Liked Posts

I don't see myself switching anytime soon, but if I did Windows Phone would be the most likely landing spot. I'm curious to see what they do with WP8.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Liked
    25 Liked Posts
    Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus, iPad 2
    Carrier
    Verizon (El Diablo)

I think if I ever left Android completely I would have to go to iOS.

BB has nothing worthwhile hardware or software wise.

WP is app deficient and still behind hardware wise.

I too own an iPad. The apps along make it a worthy computing tool. Much better than my Motorola Xoom. Of course, ICS on a tablet is a huge step up from Honeycomb.

I'll probably switch back to both Android phone and tablet when the app situation improves for the tablets.

I like what I'm hearing so far.

iOS is quite boring UI wise. However, I've come to accept it on my iPad, yet, and I know this sounds crazy, I couldn't stand it on the iPhone. Their essentially the same, but I'm too accustomed to widgets.

Liked
    8 Liked Posts
    Device(s)
    EVO LTE/Asus TF
    Carrier
    Sprint
    ROM
    Stock ICS

Android pure ICS is the best and most perfect experience on a smartphone I have had to date and the phone its on is perfect...except the radio performance. With that fixed it would easily be the best phone I have ever had to date.

But I see your point as this is fits the model of "Its just so darn perfect...except for........". Which seems to be the model for all things android. But whats the alternative? W7 phone? no thanks. crApple? Yeah DEFINITELY not thanks. iOS makes my brain hurt when I use it as it makes me feel like a 3 year old and W7 phones are well just too small of a market to make them viable for me. With android I can have my phone setup as a pocket laptop in a matter of minutes for free. Cant say free with crApple and the functionality on W7 phones isnt up to par. So android it is.
    My mobile device timeline:
    Misc electronic organizers -> Cassiopeia -> palm pilot III -> m100 -> Palm Pilot VII and Zire 21 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 650 -> PPC6700 -> Treo 755p -> PPC6800 -> Palm Pro -> Palm Pre -> Samsung moment -> Samsung Epic 4g -> HTC EVO Shift 4g-> Galaxy Nexus-> EVO LTE
    Thanked by:
    21plays likes this.

Liked
    1 Liked Posts
    Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus/RAZR MAXX
    Carrier
    Verizon

Hardware superiority is what is currently keeping me on Android. Simply, Android phones have the best hardware.
    I am on Verizon and never see myself leaving. Verizon's Windows Phone offerings were very weak when I entered my new 2-year a few months ago. So I went with a Galaxy Nexus and my wife got a Razr MAXX.
    I would have seriously considered iPhone. But no 4G and a non HD screen were deal breakers for me.

Liked
    17 Liked Posts
    Device(s)
    BB bold 9860, HTC One X, New Ipad
    ROM
    Stock on all

It's simple I don't like being tied down to restrictions within a device operating system, knowing that they could have easily made it more open. Android delivers that and more, they have the fastest phones at mostly affordable prices.

Liked
    56 Liked Posts

Easy answer. Widgets and unique homescreen setups.
    Thanked by:
    paul-c 

Liked
    8 Liked Posts

1) I've got about 30 gigs of music on my linux media server (LINHES). I run an ubuntu machine for my home workstation.
    I want to be able to drag and drop my music at will from a network share to my mobile. iTunes does not work on either of my machines. Sure Amarok and others work 'ok' but it is still not as easy as drag and drop using nautilus or the like.

2) The iphone is expensive vs. a comparable android device.

3) Removable battery and microSD slot is a no-brainer. Super lame that apple shuts these down.

I'll never buy an iphone.
    Thanked by 2:
    21plays and robertelkins like this.

Liked
    108 Liked Posts
    Device(s)
    Droid 1, X, RAZR, Rezound, Maxx HD

Customization and variety keeps me with Android.

Only way I would leave is I didn't like Android or the choices anymore. Don't care so much about updates or the frequency. I always get a phone for what it offers now.

My wants n needs are simple: battery life and reception. Everything else comes 2nd. It doesn't have to have the latest, best specs or latest OS. So i'm easy to please.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums
    Last edited by jroc; 05-25-2012 at 06:18 PM.

Liked
    0 Liked Posts

Cost. I can't stand the poor battery and poor signal issues with the GN. I have unlocked and rooted and installed 4.04 and several different ROMs and still do not like this thing.

I spent three hours in a car today while my wife drove. 3G only areas. I was down to 15% battery by the end of the drive with no GPS but constant surfing. I just don't find that acceptable. And if I use the GPS and navigation, it loses power even when plugged into the car charger.

So if cost wasn't an issue, I would probably dump and get an iPhone. May do that anyway when the new one comes out. Loved my X. Would go back to that but the screen has spoiled me.

And the signal drops are incredibly annoying. Even when staying stationary.

Sorry to rant. I have been holding back my frustration for a while and this thread just kind of pulled it out.
    Retired Bum

Liked
    635 Liked Posts
    Device(s)
    SCH-i515
    Carrier
    Vee-Zee
    ROM
    Skank-AOKP | Air Kernel

If I wanted app icons plastered all over my puny screen, I would've gotten an icraphone. I can do that on Android if I leave the app drawer open alla time. But I don't.

Yup, I'm on Tapatalk2
    y U no HAZ r00t?
    Thanked by:
    HAAS599 and robertelkins like this.

Liked
    33 Liked Posts
    Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier
    Verizon
    ROM
    Stock

Plain and simple...I like android.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Android Central Forums
    @workMakin$
    Thanked by:
    21plays and robertelkins like this.

Liked
    8 Liked Posts

The Nexus is the second Android phone I've owned. I came from BlackBerry and after owning the Pnex I am strongly considering going back to BlackBerry when BlackBerry 10 comes out or maybe going WP8.

I have the PlayBook and I love its OS and UI. ICS is an improvement over Gingerbread, but its still laggy and frustrating to use compared to my PlayBook OS (and even compared to BlackBerry OS 6 & 7 devices I've used). Things on Android just take to many steps to do. At first it didn't annoy me, but more and more it has gotten old. Also I miss how well apps are intergrated in the OS on BlackBerry.

I don't hate Android, its just hasn't worked as well as I had hoped. I mean my dualcore Android phone lags worst than any of the singlecore smartphones I have owned (including the storm 1 lol). It reboots randomly at least once daily. It is unable to use data outside of a wifi connection. It can't handle simple tasks like switching screen orientation. It's screen is ugly and artifacts like crazy and each and every Pnex I have compared it with has different quality of screens.

These are real issues I have with what should be the best Android device available. I don't care if your Nexus is amazing and can solve world hunger. Mine isn't, mine is horrible.

I will keep a Android for wifi only use and will start tinkering with it. Because honestly I wouldn't feel right about selling someone my phone. I think I will enjoy Android more as a hobby then as a daily use phone.
    Last edited by Saiga; 05-25-2012 at 07:54 PM.
    bruteforce037 likes this.

Liked
    7 Liked Posts
    Device(s)
    Droid 4
    Carrier
    Verizon

I use Google to host my custom domain. As a family, we use Google for our multiple calendars (including sharing with family outside of the house). Our heavy use of Google products just makes it seem natural to use an Android phone. And, as others have mentioned, the customization is something that keeps us an Android home. Along with the choices in screen size. I'm using a Droid 4...show me an iPhone with a slide out keyboard...

Liked
    116 Liked Posts
    Device(s)
    HTC EVO 4G--->Sprint G-Nex
    Carrier
    Sprint

1. freedom, choice, openness, flexibility.
    2. tight integration with Google Services.
    3. constant improvement and innovation driven by Google and partners.
    4. hardware and software power.
    Thanked by:
    21plays likes this.
    = I C E D R E E = ™

Liked
    9 Liked Posts
    Device(s)
    Motorola Atrix , Motorola XOOM 3G
    Carrier
    STC
    ROM
    Stock 2.3.4 - Stock 4.0.4

I originally jumped into Android because I had enough with Symbian !
    It seemed like the right move back in the day since I already had an iPod Touch & I was staying away from BB OS !!!
    Then I started customizing it & changed how it looked every week or when ever I'm bored !!!! & I liked it & sticked around with it.
    In July, I'll be using Android for 2 years (Motorola MileStone & Motorola Atrix) .

Personally, I don't care about the whole ICS & Updates issue, if got ICS cool, if not , meh. I'm good with Gingerbread

What's annoying the F*%$ outta me though, is that we can't buy Apps in Saudi Arabia at all ! & that is getting on my nerve lately !!!

I've been following Windows Phone 7 since it launched.
    I didn't like it at first (especially with a bad WinMo experience) , but when I played with it (one of the early versions , even before NoDo) , I totally changed my mind !!!!

Now I'm waiting for Windows Phone 8 & the right phone (hopefully HD8 with One X specs)
    There's a 99% chance that I'll jump to WP8 .

Sent from my MB860 using Android Central Forums

Liked
    0 Liked Posts

I've honestly been tinkering back and forth. I'm not a Root & Unlock user, I like my phone to do everything I want it to do, and don't mind paying extra for the Tethering. I like speed and updates not only on time, but equally! Android is starting to annoy me with the "this is the NEW NEW" then a minute later "this is the NEW-New New"....it's costly and make you feel behing the curve at all times. At least with Apple, you update when everyone else updates, you can go to one central location to fix your phone, and other than the yearly hardware updates, don't feel behind the curve every 3 months specs and software wise. If this iPhone 5 is dope....my Android Love is over! BTW, been an Android Lover since the G1, so don't Fairweather me!

Liked
    6 Liked Posts

1. The ability to screw around with stuff and customize it the way I want.
    2. Nokia hasn't released a WP device with a Pureview camera on it.

Liked
    63 Liked Posts
    Device(s)
    2 Inc's/1 TB
    Carrier
    Verizon
    ROM
    ICS

There's just to many options and now with the upcoming google event its be gonna amazing with what there going to announce

Love my G Nexus
    I'm the ROOT man
    G Talk: Upstreammiami3o5
    Let me help you ROOT your phone
    DalekSec

Liked
    1 Liked Posts
    Device(s)
    HTC Rezound
    Carrier
    Verizon
    ROM
    Slim Rom 1.6

The fact that ios and wp7 are such closed systems, with very little abilitity to customize and im not talking about adding wallpapers and ringtones
    The big thngs are , having a normal filesystem i can access, opening files with the ird party app of my choice, custom roms, different launchers, vastly superior functionaily on the bleeding edge, no the slow track, no other smartphone offers anything like android does in that department.
    Do i want updates fast, yes, but i wont trade updates for a locked down device that pnly lets me do what Apple thinks i should

Liked
    108 Liked Posts
    Device(s)
    Droid 1, X, RAZR, Rezound, Maxx HD

I also would like to add that overall....its a pretty decent OS.

Haven't had too many software issues with my Droid 1, DX1, RAZR. My g nex and Rezound weren't too bad either. Some things I don't like about the Rezound software wise are sense related. And overall ICS was real nice on the g nex.

So....Android as an OS also keeps me using it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Liked
    80 Liked Posts
    Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier
    Verizon

I came in with the OG Droid, and I really appreciated the functionality. I've resisted root and rom up till now, but I may give it a try soon. Even without that option, I enjoy the customization and choices I have, my sons iDevice failed to excite me.
    I noticed that AC's article on 1st qtr market share included Linux phones, and they had greater share than WP...I hadn't heard a thing about them till now, is this fairly new?
    I've become interested in Linux and Ubuntu lately, and I notice that a particular segment of the computer savvy are into that, and recently there were stories about dual booting Android and Ubuntu on Android devices...is this something that would keep techie people in the Android realm?

Sent from my GNex using Android Central Forums

Liked
    3 Liked Posts
    Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier
    Verizon
    ROM
    4.1.1 JB OTA Stock

I just hate Apple and everything they produce.

I finally converted my daughter over to Android by giving her my old Droid X.......she loves it.

Steve
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus - Verizon - 4.1.1 Jelly Bean - Stock
    Acer Iconia A500 - 4.0.3 - Stock
    Thanked by:
    n0obpr0 and robertelkins like this.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast