Founded in 1983 by community residents who understand the need to protect rare and vulnerable habitats, the BHI Conservancy has become a leader in barrier island conservation, preservation and education. Read our story.
2012 Sea Turtle Count
# Nests Laid - 72 # Nests Hatched - 71
• To honor Brooke Williams with a memorial gift to the BHI Conservancy click here.
• Hurricane Sandy Dune report - click here Photos by Tom Hancock, Ph.D., Director of Conservation
• Next Turtle Trot is Friday, November 23! Stay tuned for details!
• 9-15-12 Turtle Trot results and pictures! Click here
• Order your new 2013 BHI Communications Directory online!
• FALL SALE at Turtle Central, come by and check it out!
• Fall Conservator now online! If you want a hard copy email firstname.lastname@example.org with your request.
• Touch Tank Time is every Wednesday and Saturday
•Don't forget to LIKE us on Facebook! Click on our FB page BHI Conservancy and write your personal experience with a hatching, laying or excavations!
NOW SHOWING Tuesdays and Saturdays at 1:00pm Turtle: The Incredible Journey
7 PM in the New Barrier Island Study Center Media Room. This film follows a loggerhead sea turtle hatchling from her nest, to the Gulf Stream, and back to the beach to lay her own nest! It is a remarkable story about the harrowing trek around the globe of this this threatened species and an amazing odyssey you won't want to miss. This film was released in 2011 and was directed by Nick Stringer of National Geographic Explorer. A Sea World Pictures film.
Learn about the fascinating species that nests right here on Bald Head Island! Following the film, Conservancy staff will answer all of your questions about sea turtles.
The film is rated G and is 80 minutes. Please be advised that this is not a cartoon film and some images may be too dramatic for young viewers. Suggested donation $5.00. Your monetary contributions aid our mission of conservation, education, and preservation and also assist our renowned Sea Turtle Protection Program. "A special thank you to the Hannover House Distributing Company for facilitating these film events."
Seating is limited and provided on a first come, first serve basis. Please call (910) 457-0089 with questions.
• Turtle Season 2011, total turtle nests laid - 99, total nests hatched 75. Reasons for unhatched nests, Hurricane Irene and unfertilized eggs.