Topic: CDE Open Sourced!

As many of you have suspected, CDE has been open sourced!! This has been months in the making and it's exciting to be able to announce it. You can find it here.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/cdesktopenv/

CDE has been tested on Debian Squeeze and Ubuntu. It is seriously alpha quality software but go test, bug report and have fun!

Motif will be open sourced in a few months.

With this, OpenCDE is officially deprecated. Feel free to make a fork of it if you wish.

These forums will remain up until kpedersen takes them down and I'll be checking in daily, as usual.

Re: CDE Open Sourced!

YESSSSSSS!

and as for OpenCDE thank you for sustaining us for the last 2 years and, goodbye. *audience claps, karsten breaks down/flibble consoles him smile*

Thanks to Flibble, Karsten, Woomia, and all the other people who worked so hard to bring RealCDE to us. smile

OMG!!!!!

A lot of the people behind CDE, including the folks at Xig who originally ported it to Linux years ago, made this happen.

And yes a FreeBSD port is in progress.

It is broken sad
The only applications that works in Slackware 64 bits are dtcalc and dtterm, the rest just froze X11 (seems memory problems).

It's not broken. It doesn't work in Slackware. Try Debian Squeeze or Ubuntu. Arcfide is working on fixing CDE on Slackware. It's a dthello bug that affects other distros like Arch Linux.

It is not just dthello, it seems it is the RPC system among other things.
So far I am loving dtterm smile

I want to hack some code, but I am not sure if I have the skills.

I'll wait for the fixes then.

Thanks to all of you big_smile

EDIT: Is libmmotif going to die or it is going into CDE?

Last edited by Ralos9 (2012-08-06 02:35:13)

dthello and rpc are linked. Dthello calls on rpcbind.

Thank you very much to all people who made that possible.

Last edited by Florent (2012-08-06 06:12:03)

Just compiled and installed it on Debian Squeeze. Awesome !

Greetings to anybody involved in this *huge* work.

I am glad you like it!

And the forum is back after it somehow mangled itself for the 3rd or 4th time. smile

I'm completely cuffed CDE has been released at long last.  I signed that petition all those years ago, never thinking it would actually happen.  Now we just have to wait for serious development to pick it up to modern standards smile

"Modern standards"? Like what?

I'm happy with CDE as is, to be perfectly honest, as long as all the stuff works, CDE's charm comes largely from its retro appearance. But you could always gather together a crew if you wanted to update it. smile

woomia wrote:

dthello and rpc are linked. Dthello calls on rpcbind.

I was asking for the library in OpenCDE (libmmotif, motif for C++).

About the applications, I forgot to start the rpc server roll and there is the expected problems that are already report in the project site (pixmaps not loading) and the preferences aren't being save (dtstyle color schemes and that stuff).

Logout button doesn't work at all.

pargoo wrote:

Now we just have to wait for serious development to pick it up to modern standards

The only think I would like is a battery bar for my laptop and maybe a wifi applet, may be in the future wink
Making it work properly in Slackware would be more than good enough and to be honest, I don't think I need those "modern standards".

Does dtfile and dtstyle works in Debian?

Yes, everything works OK on Debian Squeeze. Here is a list of supported distributions:
https://sourceforge.net/p/cdesktopenv/w … Platforms/

The bug that affects Slackware affects Archlinux (and probably others) so it's complex and not readily fixed.

As for applets. I don't think this is going to happen anytime soon. There are things like stalone tray that works with CDE.

Ralos9,

motifmm is no longer in development. With the new features of C++0x/11 it is largely redundant to wrap every single GUI component into a class.

Instead I highly recommend using std::tr1::shared_ptr and provide the correct C function as the deleter function. This way when the stack unwinds during an exception etc.. as the shared_ptr goes out of scope, the component will be removed and no memory leak will occur.

It works really nicely and allows you to use all the great functionality of Motif without waiting for the C++ wrappers to catch up wink