Shifting sands: the lost majesty of Prince of Persia http://t.co/DeVmZ2lQ Ed reflects on a wonderful, much-missed series
More News
DmC: Devil May Cry
Monday 14-Jan-2013 9:20 AM

DmC: Devil May Cry

Ninja Theory mixes up a legend, to make something familiar and new 360  4

Anarchy Reigns
Tuesday 8-Jan-2013 4:30 PM

Anarchy Reigns

Platinum smashes fist-first into online gaming 360  3

Rocksmith
Friday 14-Dec-2012 3:13 PM

Rocksmith

This isn't a Guitar Hero clone: Drop-D cynicism 360  14

More Reviews
More Previews
More Features
More Kinect
More Xbox Live
Thor
Thursday 29-Sep-2011 5:48 PM

Thor

Total Film review: Why Branagh's Marvel movie is more little cracker than hammer horror 8

Hall Pass
Tuesday 20-Sep-2011 11:11 AM

Hall Pass

The Farrelly Brothers hit maturity - in the face MOV  4

Hanna
Monday 5-Sep-2011 6:22 PM

Hanna

Like Elektra, but 10 years younger MOV 

Hobo With A Shotgun
Monday 5-Sep-2011 11:45 AM

Hobo With A Shotgun

Not quite "attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion" MOV  1

Rango
Sunday 21-Aug-2011 6:34 PM

Rango

Johnny Depp's weirdness infects Nickleodeon MOV 

Sucker Punch
Monday 15-Aug-2011 6:05 PM

Sucker Punch

Neither sucks nor blows MOV 

New Microsoft patent could turn Kinect into Big Brother

Your comments on our articles.

Sensor would stop video playback if unauthorised viewers are detected

Oh dear oh dear oh dear. Microsoft has taken out a patent titled "Content Distribution Regulation by Viewing User" which purports to limit video consumption to those who've licensed the video in question by actually monitoring what's going on in your living room.

... read more

New Microsoft patent could turn Kinect into Big Brother

Postby Bonescrubs » 06 Nov 2012, 13:37

If this was used purely as a parental control measure then I could fully understand, but it seems way too far-reaching. So if I say rented a movie on my Xbox, then invited some friends round to watch it, the Kinect programming would detect that there were too many people in the room in respect of the license and refuse to play it? Now that is going too far.
Bonescrubs

Re: New Microsoft patent could turn Kinect into Big Brother

Postby OXM ETboy » 06 Nov 2012, 13:46

Indeed, let's hope it's one of their more speculative patents.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby richwk » 06 Nov 2012, 14:14

So is there another patent in there somewhere that makes the kinect actually work? Assuming you're watching the film further than two feet away and not in direct, blazing light, how will the kinect even know who's watching?
richwk

Postby FishyGinger » 06 Nov 2012, 14:26

I knew having a spare room and a dummy of me sat in it would come in handy. This is really daft, much like radio licences.

I'm guessing the On button will look something like this?

The cat is fain the fish to eat, but hath no will to wet her feet.
FishyGinger

Postby richwk » 06 Nov 2012, 14:42

Heh. " Just what do you think you are doing, Dave?"
"I'm watching 1984."
The irony!
richwk

Postby Clanger67 » 06 Nov 2012, 15:22

Weirdly my mate mentioned something like this before Kinect first came out.Plus how can they stop you and a load of mates watching a film they can only do that if you are charging people to watch it.
I'm unsure of just what it takes,to frustrate and dismantle apathy.

They say the empty can rattles the most.
Clanger67

Postby Wheely13 » 06 Nov 2012, 16:17

"Environment 612, with capture device 620, may be used to recognise, analyse, and/or track human (and other types of) targets,"

So if i'm watching a movie with my girlfriend and her 3 cats come into the room, it will stop? Because the way that is worded seems to me that it might track every living thing.

Also, generally when we watch a "movie" things get heated, i'm not sure i'm comfortable with microsoft watching me get frisky...
Wheely13

Postby delmariachi » 06 Nov 2012, 16:47

I'd have thought the more logical idea behind it is to stop say, sky sports football being viewed in pubs or other such more public venues but the reality I feel could be pretty much whats been referred too previous....
delmariachi

Postby Plamsa wing » 06 Nov 2012, 17:04

It's entirely possible that this is one of those things that gets patented, but never really gets developed further for many a reason.

If it's not, then it's a pretty worrying idea either way.

Wheely13 wrote:Also, generally when we watch a "movie" things get heated, i'm not sure i'm comfortable with microsoft watching me get frisky...

I'd be more worried about the bloke spying through the window, the same bloke that's there right now! Quick go get him!
"We may be stupid, but we're not clever."
Plamsa wing

Postby CunningSmile » 06 Nov 2012, 17:13

Surely this patent will never go ahead, purely because any police state style observation that can be defeated by just unplugging the peripheral is deeply flawed.
Do you feel like a hero yet? Do you even remember what your mission originally was?
CunningSmile

Postby FishyGinger » 06 Nov 2012, 17:21

CunningSmile wrote:Surely this patent will never go ahead, purely because any police state style observation that can be defeated by just unplugging the peripheral is deeply flawed.

Now yes, when kinect is integrated? Not so easy then. Although there will be ways to fool this obviously.

At my last place of work we kept getting calls about the radio. You aren't allowed to have it on in the work place where something like 3 or more workers, or any customers, can hear it. But if you have a workshop with a van in, you can turn that radio on as loud as you like and not have to pay a fee of something like 150 quid a year. Completely stupid but don't rule out companies being quite so petty.

Still can't imagine they would implement this though, it would be a desperately unpopular move. Move...get it, the PS peripheral...oh never mind.
The cat is fain the fish to eat, but hath no will to wet her feet.
FishyGinger

Postby msbhvn » 06 Nov 2012, 20:23

This is one of the most disturbing things I've ever heard of. It probably breaks the law in most countries, too. I'm sure big business could get it through in the US, especially if Baseball Glove Romney wins the election today. If he does, I think the rest of the world should pass a UN resolution to take the vote away from the public in the US, as they are too stupid to use it properly.
If cats always land on their feet and toast always lands buttered side down, what if you strapped a piece of buttered toast to the back of a cat and dropped it? Welcome to the Buttered Cat Paradox!
msbhvn

Postby trapezium » 06 Nov 2012, 21:26

msbhvn wrote:This is one of the most disturbing things I've ever heard of. It probably breaks the law in most countries, too. I'm sure big business could get it through in the US, especially if Baseball Glove Romney wins the election today. If he does, I think the rest of the world should pass a UN resolution to take the vote away from the public in the US, as they are too stupid to use it properly.

And we voted in the tories...
trapezium

Postby Clanger67 » 06 Nov 2012, 21:36

trapezium wrote:
msbhvn wrote:This is one of the most disturbing things I've ever heard of. It probably breaks the law in most countries, too. I'm sure big business could get it through in the US, especially if Baseball Glove Romney wins the election today. If he does, I think the rest of the world should pass a UN resolution to take the vote away from the public in the US, as they are too stupid to use it properly.

:lol: I didn't. :P
I'm unsure of just what it takes,to frustrate and dismantle apathy.

They say the empty can rattles the most.
Clanger67

Postby msbhvn » 06 Nov 2012, 21:51

trapezium wrote:

I didn't either, but at least the Tories pretended to be nice to try and get votes. The Republican Party pander to the nastiest, most evil views in American society and the dumbass they picked as candidate is actually giving Obama a run for his money! There just isn't a facepalm big enough.
If cats always land on their feet and toast always lands buttered side down, what if you strapped a piece of buttered toast to the back of a cat and dropped it? Welcome to the Buttered Cat Paradox!
msbhvn

Next