MAZA, later EGWA..Lat/Long 51 12 30N/01 31 30W .Grid ref SU 329459 .260 feet ASL.Ident "AV".2.5 miles west of Andover.USAAF Station No.406.(1944- RT Callsign was"Manhours",HF/DF was S7Z)
RUNWAYS: Grass. Maximum run (ENE-WSW)= 1300 yds.NE-SW= 1000 yds.SE-NW= 900 yds.N-S= 830 yds.
Photo above comes via Terry Crawford:On September 6, 1912, Captain R C W Alston, a pupil on the first course at CFS Upavon, was flying from Upavon to Farnborough in an Avro 500 . His machine suffered engine trouble and he landed badly in a field at Bagsbury Farm, Weyhill, ploughing up the ground for eight to ten yards. The plane turned over, its propeller snapping, the engine buckling and the tail and planes crumpling. Alston crawled out of the wreckage with a few scratches, to be met by workers running from the nearby railway line.
RAF ANDOVER (Weyhill) shown before the building of dual-carriageway along the north side of the airfield
RAF ANDOVER (Weyhill) - this photo(sent by Tony Dewey) shows Andover at the time when the large Belfast Truss hangars were being built(1917/18) .Several HP 0/400s and two DH9s from No.2 School of Navigation and Bomb Dropping are visible in the foreground.
Above is a postcard showing a group of RNAS officers from RNAS Fort Tregantle(near Plymouth) on arrival at the Andover School of Navigation & Bomb Dropping in 1918.
Andover opened in August 1917 for use by the RFC - later to become the RAF.The airfield remained in RAF hands until 3rd March 1944,when
it was transferred to the 9th AF /USAAF(See Photo Page 402FS) .The airfield was returned to the RAF on 29th July 1944 after the american units left for France.The RAF continued to use Andover until its closure at the end
of March 1976.Thereafter the Army took over at Andover for use by the Army Logistic Executive.Aircraft from Middle Wallop continued to use the field until early in the new millenium although none were based there.By 2010 the airfield was starting to be covered by building work.
In the recent view below,(Circa2005) although many of the buildings and hangars have gone, the airfield is still relatively complete.
Although not actually at Andover - this picture of an FE2 at Andover Down ( near Hurstbourne Priors) is well worth including. The picture comes via Terry Crawford who said " I think it's the FE2 mentioned in Bruce, Aeroplanes of the Royal Flying Corps, which on April 27, 1912 was flown by Geoffrey de Havilland to Fleet Pond for a centre-float undercarriage to be (temporarily)? fitted."
Fairey Battle,as used by 12 Sq and 142 Sq at Andover