It has been requested by a bunch of people that I give a little tutorial at making snowflakes. If you missed them, here they are:
I’ve been making these since I was a kid, finding newer and more elaborate ways of incorporating images, usually from Christmas shows, but I’ve made Doctor Who ones too. This is one technique to make snowflakes out of silhouettes. Most of the time I just doodle something and chop that up, but it is fun to mess around.
Edit: If anyone makes a snowflake, the rule is you must send me a picture! I’d love to see it!
You will need:
Scalpel tipped razor blade
Sheet of paper (squared)
The paper can be any size, but bigger is better. If you can get your hands on some 11x17 to square down to 11x11, it will be way easier to cut, and you will have more room for detail.
So first thing you do is fold that square into a triangle.
Easy peasy. Next, you don’t fold it in half, but just make a little crease where the half way mark should be. Like this:
Cameo by Snape’s hand there.
Okay, so next you have to fold in thirds. Some websites say you need a protractor to do this, but it really does just take practice. It needs to be EVEN thirds, so the paper has to line up exactly. Don’t worry if you need to try a few times to get it perfect, but it will really screw things up if it doesn’t line up.
Now we get to choose what we want to cut. Maybe something happy, iconic, cheerful, recognizable…
Or something freaking depressing, whatever. You could use your best judgement and draw it with this as a reference, or you can make a template. Making a template is a bit cheating, but it will make it look better when it is cut, so who cares. Don’t tell anyone.
My template is 6.125 inches wide at the top, just for reference.
Now print off your template and shade the back around the edges of the picture.
Put your template overtop your folded paper and trace it hard. It should transfer like carbon paper.
Now cutting! If you have super sharp scissors and big enough details, you can cut using them. I almost always use my scalpel tipped razor blade. I always have them around anyways for cutting proofs and whatnot, so I’m pretty comfortable using them. Be careful, it is fiddly work and I have cut myself when I’m not paying attention. Also, use a cutting surface that you can gouge into. I almost always use my sketchbook because it is firm and I don’t have to worry about ruining it. If you get in trouble for scratching up your parent’s coffee table, don’t blame me.
Cutting with a blade can take a long time. This one took me 15 minutes to cut because I had to go back over and make sure all the layers cut. My blade was duller than it should have been. If you have a really really ornate one, like my skull one, set aside some time for it, you’ll need it.
When you’re done, it should look like your template. You may have to tidy up your layers one at a time to make sure they match (that’s the point of this whole thing).
And when you open it, it will look something like this:
A totally depressing snowflake. Merry Christmas, Sherlockians!
187 Notes/ Hide
- leavecraters likes this
- rockyrockette likes this
- sailing-my-ships likes this
- mysticrainbows likes this
- fashien reblogged this from barachiki
- fashien likes this
- rudawrona reblogged this from barachiki
- macarmua reblogged this from imjohnlocked
- jollyfrost17 likes this
- universeisinspiring likes this
- steampoweredmindpalace reblogged this from barachiki
- steampoweredmindpalace likes this
- thats-mellarkable likes this
- ellakazelle reblogged this from imjohnlocked
- emiyon likes this
- peeblestime reblogged this from imjohnlocked
- bekahbooks likes this
- cheekbonesandoceaneyes reblogged this from imjohnlocked
- cheekbonesandoceaneyes likes this
- thedoctorsnameisalbus likes this
- daisy007719 likes this
- iamafelly likes this
- a-superwholockian-with-ocd likes this
- jessicaweasley reblogged this from imjohnlocked
- sulamoon likes this
- jessicaweasley likes this
- aliisa-jones likes this
- ivatimsee reblogged this from barachiki
- shirtlessbenny likes this
- ivatimsee likes this
- shutuplock likes this
- imjohnlocked reblogged this from barachiki and added:
- imjohnlocked likes this
- socirobscidavidhiddlescomberama reblogged this from barachiki
- savviest likes this
- notjustatindog likes this
- naveenady likes this
- huntinghopes reblogged this from barachiki
- impromptuthoughts likes this
- lionm-chan likes this
- pasargando likes this
- dimturien likes this
- frannyglassed likes this
- typicalnightmares likes this
- quill-of-wonder likes this
- tortoisesandstrawberries reblogged this from barachiki
- deducing-the-doctor-with-destiel likes this
- jokerjack likes this
- tortoisesandstrawberries likes this
- drivingroundincirclesstruggers likes this