'70 is the new 50!' Martha Stewart on aging gracefully and 'maintaining a tiny waist'

By Margot Peppers

|

Martha Stewart has revealed her tips for aging gracefully and staying healthy, feats which involve 'maintaining a tiny waist', among other factors.

The 71-year-old lifestyle guru -  whose new book, Living the Good Long Life: A Practical Guide to Caring for Yourself and Others, hit stores last week - also explained that there is a 'new generation' of aging in the modern world.

'Seventy is nothing like the 70 of 20 or 40 years ago,' she told New You magazine. '70 is the new 50! Not everyone wants to retire, and very few people want to slow down.'

Martha Stewart

Words of wisdom: Martha Stewart, 71, opened up to New You magazine about aging gracefully. '70 is the new 50!' she said, adding: 'Maintaining a tiny waist is a very important factor in successful aging'

The former TV personality went on to disclose the beauty secrets she has followed to maintain her health.

'Each decade has specific requirements,' she explained, noting that some of the most valuable advice she ever received came from fashion designer Carolina Herrera, 74.

'She was at my house one day, and we were all eating popovers,' recalled Ms Stewart. 'She asked if we knew that no matter your age, your waist should measure the same as your head.'

Ms Stewart said she and her guests promptly proceeded to measure themselves, only to discover that the designer was the only person in the group whose measurements fit the rule.

Martha Stewart

Cover girl: Ms Stewart looks flawless on this month's issue of New You magazine, where she promotes her new self-help book, Living the Good Long Life

'It is absolutely the truth,' she explained .

'It's imperative to have a good diet that keeps you healthy. Maintaining a tiny waist is a very important factor in successful aging.'

The media mogul, who looks years younger than her age, knows a thing or two indeed about aging gracefully.

'In your forties, you should start thinking about the rest of your life,' she advised. 'By your fifties, you should have a good doctor and wellness routine set up.'

The 71-year-old seems to have followed her own advice as she looks the picture of health on the glossy magazine cover.

She credits her glowing skin to her favorite beauty product: 'Unlimited amounts of very good moisturizer, with sunblock,' she said.

Ms Stewart also offered advice about achieving success later in life - even after major setbacks.

'I've had my share of curveballs,' admitted the author and businesswoman, who was convicted of insider trading in 2004.

She continued: 'Rebuilding is a lot harder than building. I've learned that. You have to approach something new as a build-on to what you've already done.'

The business mogul also offered her opinion on second chances in life: 'There is only one time around the track,' she said. 'And you are on that track the minute you're born.'

Martha Stewart on Today Show

Ready to mingle: This morning, Martha Stewart spoke on the Today Show about getting back on the dating bandwagon. 'I haven't found the next Mr Right,' she said as she brandished her own picture from New You

As a business magnate, best-selling author, chef and TV host, Ms Stewart has enjoyed years of success since her first-ever cookbook was published in 1982.

But despite her accomplishments, she told the magazine that she does have one regret.

'Just that I haven't had more children,' confessed the mother-of-one, before adding optimistically: 'But my daughter has two babies now, so the family is growing.'

Despite her age, Ms Stewart shows no signs of slowing down and she has made numerous recent appearances to promote her new book.

Just this morning, she spoke to Today Show host and longtime friend Matt Lauer about getting back on the dating bandwagon to find her 'next Mr Right'.

Martha Stewart

Looking youthful: The lifestyle guru credits her glowing skin to her favorite beauty product: 'Unlimited amounts of very good moisturizer, with sunblock,' she said

The grandmother-of-two managed to shock Mr Lauer when he asked if she would consider marrying again.

'It depends . . .' she replied. 'I'd like to have breakfast with somebody. I'd like to go to bed with somebody. Sleep with somebody.'

After some encouragement from the show's host, Ms Stewart - who admitted that she has been single for the past couple of years - agreed to formally join dating website Match.com.

'I'm always looking,' she said in the interview about finding a new man. 'Are you kidding? All women are always looking.'

The comments below have not been moderated.

My head is 22 inches. My waist has never been smaller than 24. Averaging 27 when thin, 31 when chubby. I do not think I could of gotten it to 22 inches. Would love to hear other "head sizes". Good for a laugh.

Click to rate     Rating   12

Very funny to see how photoshopped she is in magazine articles. If you think you are so fabulous Martha, you should stipulate "no photoshop."

Click to rate     Rating   13

70 is the new 50... says only the 70 year-olds.

Click to rate     Rating   4

Stewart will never find a Mr. Right because there's no one alive who could possibly live up to her demands of what's 'perfect'!

Click to rate     Rating   6

A good laugh Miss Stewart! Love your work but let's be real here.... We are same age and I use large amounts of Bobbie brown products, and look ok, but Not like your mag cover pic! Keep up the good work!

I am a nurse, now 74, and I know plastic surgery when I see it. Why can't celebrities admit that they have "had work" done? There are injections to prevent frown lines, neck lifts, nose refinements. You name it. It can be done.Please stop taking us all for fools! Does anyone still recognize Jennifer Annisston?

Click to rate     Rating   35

To use a DM phrase: Martha's earlobes go on forever.

Click to rate     Rating   7

My secret to aging well is to have plenty of money so you can buy the latest beauty products and have the necessary medical procedures when needed. Quite easy.....really.

Click to rate     Rating   48

A load of pap.

Look at her hands. They tell the real story. - vesper wells , louisville, United States, 30/4/2013 16:12<------- Yes, she's 71. And your point is...

Click to rate     Rating   21

The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.

You have 1000 characters left.
Libellous and abusive comments are not allowed. Please read our House Rules.
For information about privacy and cookies please read our Privacy Policy.
Terms