or Join

Game Dev sim targets pirates with torrent version full of pi

Your comments on our articles.

Developer sneaks altered version of own game on torrents

The developer behind $8 PC and Mac title Game Dev Tycoon has targeted pirates by torrenting an altered version of its own game.

... read more

Postby flyfletch » 29 Apr 2013, 12:15

Well done, you should have uploaded a virus to the scum bags computers and sorted them right out. Something activated when they go bankrupt.

I have no time for these thieving scum bags, its even more despicable when you realise this guy didnt even draw a salary. Should be ashamed of themselves. :evil:
Go ahead and add me on PS3, 360 & Wii U, please note! Weirdo's will be blocked immediately :)
flyfletch

Xbox Live: Flyfletch
PSN ID: FlyFletch
Wii Code: FlyFletch on Wii U

Postby totakeke » 29 Apr 2013, 12:18

see, this is the kind of inventive anti piracy measure I really like!
totakeke

Xbox Live: Nanotramp
PSN ID: Nanotramp
Steam: sh3man278

Postby Stan_Goodspeed » 29 Apr 2013, 12:22

"It's not a bug in the game's code. It's a bug in your moral code" :mrgreen:
Stan_Goodspeed

Xbox Live: Boffitchev
PSN ID: Spencer_Trilby

Re: Game Dev sim targets pirates with torrent version full o

Postby MisterBedo » 29 Apr 2013, 12:34

Interesting and amusing, but ultimately pointless.
GT: MrBedo
I gave Brucie the goat at Twickenham.
MisterBedo

Postby hynsey » 29 Apr 2013, 12:38

Hahaha, this is brilliant!! :D
hynsey

Postby jodders » 29 Apr 2013, 12:41

Well haha! Art imitating life! That's really well done! I'm sure the determined pirates will find a way around this.
Why are these pirates so peeved with this? BECAUSE THE ARRRRGH! :D
jodders

Postby Barca Azul » 29 Apr 2013, 12:58

very good
Barca Azul

Postby starvinbull » 29 Apr 2013, 13:02

Forcing pirate players to confont the mirrored consequences of their own actions smacks of genius. The entitlement that pirate players show in asking for help from the developer makes it even more illuminating.

I never understand why people defend basement dwelling pirates who endanger the survival of decent game companies.
starvinbull

Postby RustySpoon80 » 29 Apr 2013, 13:03

More devs should take note. Punish the pirates and not the buyers.

I remember Batman:AA had some code in it which removed Batman's glide ability when pirated.
RustySpoon80

Postby freds1 » 29 Apr 2013, 13:05

Haha, ahh I love that :lol:

Will the pirates take on board the message though? They'll probably just look for something else. Or wait for the pirated un-pirated game to be uploaded by another pirate..........or something.
No need to be careful what you wish for, you probably won't get it.
freds1

Postby jodders » 29 Apr 2013, 13:26

So maybe instead of DRM and other measures would these be a more feasible anti-pirating method over the long term?
Flooding torrent sites with altered versions of the game?
I don't know about the technicalities of such measures but it must seem more satisfying to hit these buggers where they live than punish legit gamers?
jodders

Postby CDS » 29 Apr 2013, 13:58

I this on their blog this morning and thought "Well done to you for being proactive in preventing piracy by hitting the gamers with a mirror."
It's a shame more companies can't be like this. Instead of forcing people to pirate the game by being anti-consumer, make it more difficult for the pirateer by having an 'altered' cracked copy.
CDSMEDIA CDS BLOGS

Currently waiting for - Star Wars Battlefront III / New Sonic the Hedgehog
CDS

Postby LiamT » 29 Apr 2013, 14:11

starvinbull wrote:Forcing pirate players to confont the mirrored consequences of their own actions smacks of genius. The entitlement that pirate players show in asking for help from the developer makes it even more illuminating.

I never understand why people defend basement dwelling pirates who endanger the survival of decent game companies.

because not everybody can afford to buy all the games they want. i used to pirate years ago but stopped once i could afford to buy what i wanted.

remember that piracy doesnt always harm. just because someone pirates doesnt mean its a lost sale, and sometimes seeing a copy makes you want to buy it. also, downloading was often a way to find out if you liked the game. 'try before you buy' as was seen on many pirated games.

but if you can afford to, you should buy.
LiamT

Postby shellster2 » 29 Apr 2013, 14:19

LiamT wrote:
starvinbull wrote:Forcing pirate players to confont the mirrored consequences of their own actions smacks of genius. The entitlement that pirate players show in asking for help from the developer makes it even more illuminating.

because not everybody can afford to buy all the games they want. i used to pirate years ago but stopped once i could afford to buy what i wanted.

remember that piracy doesnt always harm. just because someone pirates doesnt mean its a lost sale, and sometimes seeing a copy makes you want to buy it. also, downloading was often a way to find out if you liked the game. 'try before you buy' as was seen on many pirated games.

but if you can afford to, you should buy.

you don' have the 'right' to have a game if you can't afford it. Save up and then buy the game you want, a which point it's probably reduced in price anyway. Game demo's are the best way of deciding whether you want a game, not piracy.
Father to the worlds grumpiest baby and excited for WiiU.
shellster2

Xbox Live: scootoss
PSN ID: scootoss
Wii Code: f_ckkn0ws0000000
Steam: scootoss

Postby oOPuPPeTOo » 29 Apr 2013, 14:21

Is It just me or dose anyone else now want to download this just to see it working. :D
oOPuPPeTOo

Next