to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

'No dramatic shift in next-gen console monetization', expect

Your comments on our articles.

Activision CEO not expecting the way you pay for games to change

Numerous new business models have penetrated the games industry in recent years, but Activision CEO Bobby Kotick says he doesn't expect any 'dramatic changes' in the way you'll pay for games on consoles.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

'No dramatic shift in next-gen console monetization', expect

Postby wwinterj » 08 May 2013, 23:31

"I think we're seeing a lot of exciting new ways for customers to pay for their experiences"

I just love paying for DLC! Please strip more of the game and sell it to me! Really looking forward to the single player pass of your next COD so I can pay to complete each level! That would be amazing. :D
wwinterj 43

Re: 'No dramatic shift in next-gen console monetization', ex

Postby KK-Headcharge78 » 08 May 2013, 23:49

Well it is refreshing to hear that it's not all this digital crap for everyone.
KK-Headcharge78 56

Xbox Live: TheDeadlyMessi
PSN ID: Icollectdust

Postby Audest_Oggust » 09 May 2013, 00:20

wwinterj wrote:"I think we're seeing a lot of exciting new ways for customers to pay for their experiences"

I just love paying for DLC! Please strip more of the game and sell it to me! Really looking forward to the single player pass of your next COD so I can pay to complete each level! That would be amazing. :D

Ignorance is bliss. :roll:
Video Game Design Blog: http://unbuildthegame.blogspot.com/
Audest_Oggust 42

Xbox Live: Audega
PSN ID: NodAtTheBird147

Postby Alaann » 09 May 2013, 00:22

KK-Headcharge78 wrote:Well it is refreshing to hear that it's not all this digital crap for everyone.
whats wrong with digital.the story isnt about digital its about how you pay for the game not what copy you buy ie disc or digital
Alaann 36

Postby Fr33Kye » 09 May 2013, 00:23

He's actually probably right. Though we might see the kind of f2p games we see on pc make their way to the console space! Which could be considered a significant change. Who knows though, all it takes is one game that tries something new and knocks it out of the park.
Fr33Kye 61

Postby RoOhDiNi » 09 May 2013, 06:40

To me it is simple: If you expect me to pay money for a product - then give me something that offers resale value in return.
Games are not services to me - dev's don't have to perform the same tasks for every player over and over again spending resources - other than maintaining their servers that is. As long as games are packaged goods bound to accounts - I want to be able to trade them - this highly influences my value perception.

Microtransactions are the cancer of this industry.
RoOhDiNi 36

Postby Gemini40 » 09 May 2013, 07:54

Alaann wrote:
KK-Headcharge78 wrote:Well it is refreshing to hear that it's not all this digital crap for everyone.
whats wrong with digital.the story isnt about digital its about how you pay for the game not what copy you buy ie disc or digital

I was wondering that. Digital distribution is a perfectly viable format and home to some of the best games this generation.
Gemini40 32

Postby ted1138 » 09 May 2013, 15:47

Yeah, I'm with you, screw digital, it's analogue for us! (now, where did I put my Magnavox Odyssey...) :?
"People mistake the past for the present and they also mistake the present for the future"
Ken Levine
ted1138 60

Postby Black Fox » 09 May 2013, 17:11

Money money money, it's really funny, isn't it?
Black Fox 9

Postby KK-Headcharge78 » 10 May 2013, 01:26

Gemini40 wrote:
I was wondering that. Digital distribution is a perfectly viable format and home to some of the best games this generation.

So you want to pay the notoriously high prices for digital games, games which you own in a virtual format that you can't sell or trade?

I'll stick with discs thanks until the prices for digital get real.
KK-Headcharge78 56

Xbox Live: TheDeadlyMessi
PSN ID: Icollectdust