Nimbula Named a ‘Cool Vendor’ in Cloud Management by Leading Analyst Firm - April 16, 2012
Nimbula Recognized for Being Innovative, Impactful and Intriguing
Mountain View, CA – April 16, 2012 – Nimbula, the Cloud Operating System Company, today announced that it has been selected by Gartner as one of the cool vendors in cloud management in Gartner’s “Cool Vendors in Cloud Management, 2012” report published on April 11, 2012 by Milind Govekar, Donna Scott and Cameron Haight. This is the latest in a series of accolades for Nimbula which includes being named one of the top cloud enablers gaining mind share in the Cloud Computing Journal and inclusion on CRN’s Coolest Cloud Vendors list.
According to the Gartner report, “As enterprises deploy private clouds, interest in managing them and hybrid cloud implementations is rising. Innovative vendors and technologies can help manage infrastructure resources to deliver service quality, security and availability, as well as workloads, in private, hybrid cloud environments.”
Nimbula’s flagship product, Nimbula Director, takes enterprises and service providers from bare metal to infrastructure cloud in a matter of hours rather than days. Nimbula Director is differentiated by its high level of automation and scale, reliability and ease of use. Providing a one-stop virtual data center management solution, Nimbula Director isolates customers from the operational and hardware complexity associated with deploying a private, hybrid or public cloud.
“We are honored to be recognized by Gartner as a Cool Vendor in Cloud Management. This is a great reward for executing on our differentiated strategy,” said Reza Malekzadeh, VP of Marketing at Nimbula. “Rather than building yet another management layer for existing virtualization environments, we set to build an innovative approach to infrastructure management from the ground up focused on ease of use, strong security and scalability.”
The recently released Nimbula Director 2.0 continues to raise the bar and offers:
- Extensibility: Nimbula Director is the industry’s first truly extensible cloud platform. Its functionality can be augmented by third parties who can provide network, data, PaaS or other cloud services. Those services and their custom logic are embedded into the cloud, are run and managed as if they were written by Nimbula and inherit all of Nimbula Director’s high availability, multi-tenancy and network security functionality. Services are therefore easy to integrate, inherit a wide range of management functionality and are presented seamlessly to the tenants of the cloud.
- VMware Support: Nimbula Director is the first Cloud OS to bring the benefits of an EC2- style cloud to VMware customers with its support of the ESXi hypervisor. In addition, Nimbula Director will support VMware’s Cloud Foundry PaaS solution, and Nimbula is now a member of VMware’s Technology Alliance Program (TAP).
- Application Management: Nimbula Director is extending its management from the control plane up into the end user application space. Customers can now orchestrate the provisioning of complex applications and have the system monitor and manage applications over their lifetimes. As a result, customer applications become as reliable as the Nimbula control plane without any need to alter the application.
- DNS and VPN Services: This release rounds out the IaaS networking feature set, which also includes DHCP, NAT, firewall and VLAN services, providing a complete set of networking services required for running real world applications. Nimbula Director makes network configuration completely self-service, decreasing provisioning times and lowering the burden from the IT staff of enterprises and service providers alike.
- Enterprise Readiness: Nimbula has furthered its enterprise readiness lead releasing the only production ready cloud infrastructure solution by, among other things, introducing a scalable distributed backend database, using an SELinux base for its node software, and introducing more enterprise systems management functionality and adding quota management as well.
Founded by the team that developed the industry-leading Amazon EC2, Nimbula delivers a comprehensive cloud operating system that uniquely combines the scalability and operational efficiencies of the public cloud with the control, security and trust of today's most advanced data centers. Nimbula was named one of the most promising startups in The Wall Street Journal and was dubbed “one of three cloud properties ready to burst” in Fortune. Nimbula is headquartered in Mountain View, California. For more information, visit http://nimbula.com.
Gartner does not endorse any vendor, product or service depicted in its research publications, and does not advise technology users to select only those vendors with the highest ratings. Gartner research publications consist of the opinions of Gartner's research organization and should not be construed as statements of fact. Gartner disclaims all warranties, expressed or implied, with respect to this research, including any warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
Media and Analyst Contact for Nimbula: