Opera Mini 4.1 beta available for testing!
By MarianneManneS. Wednesday, April 2, 2008 8:27:39 AM
Here are the new features added since Opera Mini 4.0:
- Download and upload files directly in Opera Mini
- Save pages for offline browsing
- Autocompletion when entering addresses directly
- Find in page
- Increased server speed during the last months
- Signed versions of Opera Mini
Please be aware that the first two features require JSR-75 support on your handset. Far from all handset support this, and it can also be turned on/off in the JVM or by the service provider.
We have now chosen to sign Opera Mini with Verisign and Thawte, and we will provide four different versions on our download server: Double signed (both Verisign and Thawte), Verisign, Thawte, and unsigned. The advantage of the signed version is that you can change permission settings to less restrictive permissions. The end result is that you will get fewer permission dialogs for e.g., file and network access.
We encourage you all to try the signed versions first, unless you have Palm OS or BlackBerry, and if none of them work on your phone, download the unsigned version. By trying to start a signed version, your phone will send some useful feedback to our servers which we will use later.
We hope you all enjoy this beta as much as us, and that you will provide feedback in our forum or directly in our feedback thread.
As this is a beta, there are bound to be some known issues. Here's a list of some:
- There are problems with entering address directly on some phones. If you experience this problem, please go to settings and disable "Direct address input".
- Palm OS and BlackBerry can't use Opera Mini with certificates.
- BlackBerry devices with firmware older than 4.2 can't start this beta version. The firmware can be found in "Options -> About" on line #3.
- Direct image download doesn't work, but will open in your native browser.
What is JSR-75?
JSR-75 is an optional package for J2ME (this is very technical, meaning it can be included in the Java on your phone) which allows Opera Mini to access the file system on your phone. By accessing the file system, Opera Mini can download and upload files without going through the phone's native browser. JSR-75 is also used when saving pages.
The Opera Mini team