A pair of disco roller skates
A roller disco is a discothèque or skating rink where all the dancers wear roller skates of some kind (traditional quad or inline). The music played is modern and easily danceable, historically disco but in modern times including almost any form of dance music or pop music. The concept originated as a fad in the 1970s when the disco craze was at its height, peaking around 1980 and inspiring several roller-disco magazines. In 1984 the fad came to Britain and many roller disco popped up all over the country  As of 2006 , the craze has largely discontinued, although many 1970s era roller-discos are still open and successful. Also, it experienced a mild revival in the early 2000s, especially in the mid-eastern United States, where certain clubs continue to host roller disco nights. Some now use in-line roller-blades. Roller discos are also popular among older children and young teenagers, especially for parties. As in other discos, special effects such as dry ice and flashing traffic lights are often used. To minimise the risk of injury, the organisers of roller discos often only allow participants to skate in one direction at a time, so that they do not crash into one another, although many roller discos have a "free skate" section in the middle of the roller rink.
Roller disco in film
Roller disco in television
- "Angels on Skates", episode of Charlie's Angels
- In "The Einstein Approximation", episode of The Big Bang Theory, several of the characters go to a roller disco.
- In a flashback episode of The Fairly Oddparents, Denzel Crocker's mom mentions she worked at a roller disco in the early '70s
- In "Hell Comes to Quahog", a 2006 episode of Family Guy, Peter Griffin and his friends Cleveland Brown, Glenn Quagmire and Joe Swanson dance to "A Fifth of Beethoven" by Walter Murphy.
- In an episode of Malcolm In The Middle, we learn that Malcolm's father, Hal, was once a local roller disco champion.
- In "Roller Disco", an episode of That '70s Show, Jackie Burkhart and Fez take part in a roller disco competition. Four years later, in an episode called "Angie", it is revealed the leading character, Eric Forman, is a closeted roller disco dancer.
- In the "Diamond Jack" episode of Three's Company, Jack attends the Venice Roller Rink, where he meets his blind date named Rita.
- In The Young Ones series 1, episode 2 ("Oil"), Mike converts Rick's room into a roller disco
- In CHiPs season 3, episodes 1 and 2, roller disco is the central theme.
Canvas Club is closed. Roller Disco has moved to Renaissance Rooms in Vauxhall. Please use www.rollerdisco.com as a reference.