Department of Consumer Affairs    Most requested Los Angeles County websites
 County Home Home About this SiteAbout this Site Online Services Contact Us Public Info Public Info Public Alerts Public Alerts Language Privacy
Los Angeles County Department of Consumer Affairs LA County Home Page DCA Home Page
Skip topic links, go to page contentConsumers

Helping You Resolve Consumer Disputes

The Department of Consumer Affairs is here to help you resolve consumer disputes. We investigate complaints from Los Angeles County residents against businesses that violate laws or regulations. Common complaints that we investigate include false advertising, foreclosure consultant fraud, identity theft, illegal debt collection practices, employment scams and elder financial abuse.

Also, the mediators in our dispute settlement program work with both sides of a dispute to find a resolution that both sides agree on. Common situations handled by our mediators include landlord/tenant disputes, disputes with your neighbor, disputes with family members, and credit and financial disputes.

Filing complaints or requesting mediation through our eComplaint system is:

  • Free
  • Easy
  • Fast

... And allows you to attach documents to your complaint while conserving resources through this paperless process.

To file a complaint

  • You must be a consumer living in the County of Los Angeles
  • Your complaint must be against a business, service provider, or landlord

Click here to file a complaint using our step-by-step online program.

Please click here if you would like the Complaint Form in Spanish/Formulario de queja en Espaņol (PDF format).

To request mediation

  • Either you or the other party must be in the County of Los Angeles
  • You can be an individual or business
  • The other party can be a consumer, business or neighbor

Please click here to Request Mediation using our step-by-step online program.


  1. Fill out the PDF version of our complaint form completely.
  2. Print a copy of the form and sign and date it.
  3. Make a copy of each document that supports your case. (This includes contracts, receipts, canceled checks, letters, legal documents, and advertisements.)
  4. Attach the copies of the documents to the complaint form.
  5. Place all the papers in an envelope, add postage, and mail it to us at:

    County of Los Angeles
    Department of Consumer Affairs

    500 West Temple Street, B-96
    Los Angeles, CA 90012-2706

(PDF format)


  1. Your complaint will be assigned a Consumer Affairs complaint number that will be emailed to you (or mailed to you if you did not provide an email address). Use this complaint number whenever you contact Consumer Affairs.
  2. We will review your complaint to see how our Department can help you. If another agency can better serve you, we will refer your complaint to them and notify you of the referral.
  3. If we are the appropriate agency to investigate your complaint, we will send a copy of your complaint to the business you are complaining about. The business has two weeks to reply to our office.
  4. We will communicate with you and the business to try to reach a resolution.
DCA Info
DCA Forms
Consumer Resources