Benghazi 'witness' who lied on 60 Minutes is now in HIDING after receiving death threats

  • 60 Minutes aired an interview with a security contractor who claimed to rush over to the American consulate after the attack began in 2012
  • After the interview with Dylan Davies aired, CBS learned that Davies told the FBI a different version of events
  • Publishing house that planned to publish Davies' book has now cancelled
  • He told the publishing house that he is going into hiding and does not know when he will come back to his home in south Wales

By Meghan Keneally

|


The security consultant who told CBS that he was inside the American consulate during the attack in Benghazi has now gone into hiding over death threats.

60 Minutes aired a segment on November 2 based on the story that Dylan Davies told them- saying that he fought off a terrorist and saw the dead body of Ambassador Chris Stevens- that they were forced to retract after it was proved to be false.

Davies stood by his story even though it was not the same version of events he told both his employer and the FBI, but his book publisher has already stopped selling it in light of the findings that emerged last week.

Now Davies has gone into hiding and does not know when he will emerge.

In hiding: Dylan Davies told a story that has now been proved to be false during a 60 Minutes interview and has since received death threats against his family

In hiding: Dylan Davies told a story that has now been proved to be false during a 60 Minutes interview and has since received death threats against his family

The Daily Beast reports that on the same day that they decided to pull his book from the shelves, he sent an email to his publisher saying that he was sent a hand-delivered note to his home in Wales threatening his family.

TIMELINE OF THE TALL TALES

Sunday November 2: 60 Minutes airs their segment where Lara Logan interviews Dylan Davies- then going by his pseudonym Morgan Jones

Monday November 3: Davies receives a hand-delivered note to his home in south Wales threatening his family

Friday November 8: Davies sends an email to his publisher saying he is going into hiding. Lara Logan makes an apology and retracts their story that morning. Simon & Schuster announces that they will be pulling his book.

He told Jennifer Robinson, the vice president of Simon & Schuster, that he received a note at 4am on November 3 that read: 'Stop talking now or your wife and son will disappear.'

'Due to this threat I will not discuss the book with anyone under any circumstances for the foreseeable future, I am not prepared to put my family in danger. I stand by my story however I understand that it continues to be rubbished, which I expected,' he wrote in the email.

The book, The Embassy House, had already been on sale online and an unknown number of people had already bought the book. Simon & Schuster announced Friday afternoon that 'in light of information that has been brought to our attention' they will no longer be selling it.

The Daily Beast reports that the local police chief confirmed that a threat is being investigated in connection to Mr Davies and his family.

Apology: Lara Logan said that they were wrong to air her interview with a man called Dylan Davies who, it has since been revealed, lied about his role on the night of the attacks on the American mission to Benghazi

Apology on Nov.8 : Lara Logan said that they were wrong to air her interview with a man called Dylan Davies who, it has since been revealed, lied about his role on the night of the attacks on the American mission to Benghazi

After the CBS segment originally aired, reporter Lara Logan was forced to make a public apology following further investigation because it became clear that there were discrepencies in his story.

Pulled: The publisher announced on Friday that it will stop selling Davies' book

Pulled: The publisher announced on Friday that it will stop selling Davies' book

The network initially stood by him- believing his claims that he was the subject of a slander attack by the State Department- but scrutiny by other news outlets proved too compelling for them not to launch their own investigation, and, eventually, admit their mistake.

‘The most important thing to every person at 60 Minutes is the truth, and today the truth is we made a mistake. That's very disappointing for any journalist, that's very disappointing for me,’ Logan said when she gave an on-air mea culpa during CBS This Morning.

‘Nobody likes to admit that they made a mistake, but if you do, you have to stand up and take responsibility and you have to say that you were wrong and in this case we were wrong.’

During the original interview, Davies- who went by the pseudonym that he used while writing a book about his version of events, Morgan Jones- said that he scaled a 12 foot wall and fought off a terrorist when he arrived at the consulate on the evening of the attack.

‘The most important thing to every person at 60 Minutes is the truth, and today the truth is we made a mistake. That's very disappointing for any journalist, that's very disappointing for me,’ Logan said when she gave an on-air mea culpa during CBS This Morning.

‘Nobody likes to admit that they made a mistake, but if you do, you have to stand up and take responsibility and you have to say that you were wrong and in this case we were wrong.’

Placing the blame: While she repeatedly said 60 Minutes was taking responsibility, she said that they were 'misled' by Davies who did not tell them that he gave a different version of events to the FBI

Placing the blame: While she repeatedly said 60 Minutes was taking responsibility, she said that they were 'misled' by Davies who did not tell them that he gave a different version of events to the FBI

Lies: Davies told 60 Minutes that he scaled a 12-foot wall to get into the compound and then fought a terrorist to the ground once he got inside. He also said he saw the dead body of the American ambassador

Lies: Davies told 60 Minutes that he scaled a 12-foot wall to get into the compound and then fought a terrorist to the ground once he got inside. He also said he saw the dead body of the American ambassador

During the original interview, Davies- who went by the pseudonym that he used while writing a book about his version of events, Morgan Jones- said that he scaled a 12 foot wall and fought off a terrorist when he arrived at the consulate on the evening of the attack.

‘His boss is someone he cared about enormously. He cared about his American counterparts in the mission that night, and when his boss told him not to go, he couldn't stay back. So that was always part of the record for us,’ Logan said.

 

She made it clear that what they did not know was that Davies had given that account to the FBI in their incident report. His involvement with the FBI report came via The Washington Post after the 60 Minutes piece aired, and Logan said that when they confronted him over the claims, he denied it.

Logan said that they have since tried contacting Davies about the situation and they have not been able to get in touch with him.

‘We were misled and we were wrong and that's the important thing and that's what we have to say here: we have to set the record straight and take responsibility,’ she said.

WATCH THE VIDEO HERE

The comments below have not been moderated.

I don't believe the FBI version. When do they get chastised for lying?

15
14
Click to rate

CBS has a history of shoddy journalism and gladly accepts a phony story if it helps the democrats/progressives cause.... Remember when Dan Rather got duped by a phony claim about George Bush just before the 2000 election? What a maroon..... Too bad he was exposed for the homer that he was. I don't trust CBS or most mainstream USA media. DM usually has the best reporting!

19
23
Click to rate

I don't believe this LIAR about death threats. He just doesn't want to face the music.

7
44
Click to rate

Why did 60 Minutes do such an appalling job on the Benghazi report? To give the impression that Republican criticism is overblown and exaggerated. They threw the Obama Administration a bone.

16
30
Click to rate

Was he lying or did cbs get a phone call from Eric holder?

23
30
Click to rate

Muppet

2
27
Click to rate

Maybe he's making up the death threats too since he made up everything else to try and sell a book. Perhaps it's the new book title: "How my life was threatened for being a make believe hero".

7
55
Click to rate

I think he is telling enough truth that he has been threatened by the henchman of OBAMA, the liar, the Communist.

57
37
Click to rate

It was 60 Minutes who had to retract their Story after Media Matters and the FBI gave them the real intel. Come on dude.

4
35
Click to rate

Loser. Greed

4
36
Click to rate

To me this seems like an elaborate plan to discredit all Benghazi testimony. 60 minutes usually goes to great lengths to ensure accuracy and usually won't report unless they have several sources that can verify a story, yet not with this one. They waited until some republicans used the story as evidence of Benghazi misdeeds and then sprung an apology on America for shoddy reporting and verification.

45
28
Click to rate

2 of 3 repliesSee all replies

This isn't CBS's first instance of shoddy reporting.

5
28
Click to rate

You must be living in the '60s when Dan Rather was on CBS. "60 Minutes" has a string of bad reporting, Lance Armstrong (missed that one), they used the same "shoddy" sources when attacking Greg Mortenson, but now don't have the guts to admit they were wrong about that one too ( after two multi-million law suits have been dismissed against him). Where is the coverage on that?

1
11
Click to rate

The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.

We are no longer accepting comments on this article.

Who is this week's top commenter? Find out now