Searches through the weekend involving nine aircraft and eight ships failed to find any wreckage from the missing Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777-200.

The Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA), which is coordinating the search effort for MH370, said some 252,000 square kilometers of the southern Indian Ocean, where the aircraft is believed to be, were searched.

The multi-national task force included eight ships plus a merchant ship that was passing through the area. It was the largest number of ships involved in the search so far.

However, while a number of objects were retrieved by two of those ships, none were related to MH370. “The objects have been described as fishing equipment and other flotsam,” AMSA said.

The area in the ocean off the coast of Perth has become the focus for an intensified search after data analysis showed the 777, with 239 people on board, likely crashed there – far away from its flight path on March 8 from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing.

Hundreds of objects have since been spotted by satellite imagery or aircraft photography, but none has been retrieved or verified as relating to MH370.

The search will resume Monday morning and will include a specialized Royal Australian Navy ship, Australian Defence Vehicle Ocean Shield, which has been fitted with a black box detector and an autonomous underwater vehicle.