Author Topic: [FF7PC-98-Steam] Multiple mods - The Reunion (R02b)  (Read 75238 times)

DLPB

• No life
  • The King of the Rumbling Spires
    • View Profile
THE REUNION
      ファイナルファンタジーVII

by Daniel L.P. Burke

Any and all issues should be reported.  Before you report a bug, please check the Bugtracker, found HERE
Do not report Scottish dialect (such as "juist" "nae" tae" "ah")

The Reunion is only compatible with 1998 English and Steam English versions of Final Fantasy VII.  If you are using Enix 2012 English, please consider using the converter, found HERE

Download R02b

Retranslated FMVs:
Torrent, Mirror1, Mirror2

Donate HERE

The Reunion is a collection of 7 mods for Final Fantasy VII (1998 English 1.02 and English Steam release).  Each mod may be installed separately. I strongly suggest that you click on the links below and learn about them before using the installer.  The main help document is located inside the installer and can be viewed once you have run it.  The help document will also tell you the compatibility status of each of the mods.  The 7 mods are:

1. BEACAUSE
2. MENU OVERHAUL
3. 60FPS BATTLES (as of R02c)
4. WEAPON
5. MODEL OVERHAUL
6. MEMORY PATCHES
7. 1:35 SOLDIER QUEST

FAQ

Q.  It isn't even installing?
A.  Make sure you have administrator privileges (right click- "run as admin" in later versions of Windows) and also make sure that YOUR ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE IS TURNED OFF.

Q. The changes seem to crash my game.
A.  Make sure that this problem is exclusive to this mod. Then make sure you have the latest graphic drivers and Aali's latest driver.  If the game still crashes, post app log here and explanation. If you get the same error when not using this mod do NOT post a bug report here as it clearly has NOTHING to do with this project!

Tools

DLPB: Installer, HextLaunch, TextMod, HextEdit
           http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=13574.0

Aali: Custom Driver, lgp/unlgp
         http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=8306.0

Luksy: Touphscript
            http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=11944.0
              Update to lgp/unlgp
              http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=12831.0

Myst6re: Makou Reactor
                http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=9658.0

NFITC1: Wallmarket
               http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=7928.0
                 Proud Clod
                 http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=8481.0

Squall78: Hojo
                 http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=7186.0

For testing

Sithlord: Black Chocobo
               http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=9625.0

DLPB: Ochu
           http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14194.0
           BoxFF7
           http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14436.0
« Last Edit: 2015-02-17 17:43:02 by DLPB »

DLPB

• No life
    • View Profile
Beacause - The Retranslation Project
« Reply #1 on: 2014-01-07 21:16:04 »
    Beacause
      by DLPB and Luksy

Beacause is a Final Fantasy VII relocalization.  It is a complete retranslation and relocalization from the ground up, based on the original Japanese. The aim is to have an end product that is accurate and professional.  Official sources have been used to minimize errors in context and spelling.  The project's name "Beacause" comes from a misspelling (in the original localization) in the only line spoken by Jenova.

Key Features
    • Translated and localized from the ground up.
    • Every piece of text looked at and updated.
    • Option to keep original place names, character names, and series canon.
    • Option for American English (as opposed to British English).
    • Some unused dialogue reinstated.
    • Scenes accidentally missing in original game reinstated.
    Status
    Completed.
    • Flevel Debug (Not being edited): 0/13
    • Flevel (by maps): 693/693
    • ff7.exe: Completed
    • Kernel.bin: Completed
    • kernel2.bin: Completed
    • scene.bin: Completed
    • world_us: Completed
    Non-dialogue documentation can be found HERE.  Please remember to look at this before asking questions about character/item/weapon/materia names and so forth.  Note that entries in blue and orange are not open to discussion.  I will discuss only those entries in green or red.

Information

Issues:
    • The original English localization suffers from errors in grammar, spelling, context and translation. 
    • A lot of the errors point to a rushed job with little communication with the original authors.
    • Many of the errors miss out on specific references to people, places and mythology.
    • Some errors alter the plot; a few, severely.  Some errors have been adopted as canon by SE, and some have been modified in later media.
    What we have fixed:
    • Items, spells, places, monsters and characters for which we have good evidence as having been incorrectly translated, or modified for a western audience, have been restored.
    • All dialogue checked for translation and context errors, and modified as necessary.  Grammar and spelling mistakes in the dialogue have been fixed.
    • Any error that has been adopted as canon does not preclude it from being changed.
    What this project isn't:
    • A literal translation from the Japanese.
    • An attempt to rewrite FFVII or to warp any of its original content.
    • An attempt to prove that we somehow know what the original creators wanted for every single byte in the game.
    If there's anything there you do not agree with, please copy/paste and give us your thoughts.

The following are examples of changes we have made.  In the first example, there are slight errors in translation, and major errors in localization.  In the second example, the translation was completely incorrect.

1: Click Here

2:
    [/list]
    Code: [Select]
    Original
    {YUFFIE}
    “Are you waiting for {CLOUD}?”{NEW}
    “He's flying right now, so you can't get him.”{NEW}
    “Were you going to force me
       into the submarine right now?”{NEW}
    “Quit it!
       If you want to go, then just leave me behind.”{NEW}
    “…ooooooh.
       What're you talking about? I…”

Code: [Select]
    Relocalized
    {YUFFIE}
    “{CLOUD}…
       Have you decided
       where we're going yet?”{NEW}
    “Come on,I can't take
      much more of this.”{NEW}
    “Hey,you're not thinking of
      shovin' me in that crappy
      sub,are you!?”{NEW}
    “I won't go! Never!
       Leave me here,
       leave me here!”{NEW}
    “…Urrrk.
       What am I saying?”

My main aim is to release a full story based walk-through of Final Fantasy VII on Youtube that can do it justice (in fact, that's the reason I ended up being a permanent contributor here).  When I first attempted to do this in 2009 I stopped half way through and abandoned it.  The original translation isn't good enough, and it's more obvious when you're concentrating on the story.  I started a project to improve the localization here on this forum, and invited those who knew the Japanese language to help me. 

To say that this project has been time consuming would be an understatement.  There are 130,000 words (slightly less than The Return of the King) of dialogue in Final Fantasy VII. Updating it all is no easy task.  My job has been made much harder by the fact that no-one except Luksy has been willing to put the effort into relocalizing the dialogue.  I encounter a lot of moaning online from fans, many of whom know Japanese, but when they are asked to help, they have a deluge of excuses at the ready.  In fact, the people who moan the most are the ones who help the least. They prefer to sit around all day discussing who Cloud liked more, Tifa or Aerith; or my personal favourite- whether Tifa's skirt was too short.

Relocalizing the game was hard enough, but at the beginning there was no tool that could update the text, either.  In fact, editing the world map dialogue originally required a hex editor. I worked with Luksy to change that... and so Luksy's tool "touphScript" was born.

Criticism

We  have strived to create the best localization of Final Fantasy VII we can within the boundaries of the original writers' wishes. This means that although you may like "Midgar Zolom", it is simply wrong and has to be corrected. If you are angry about this and other logical changes, I cannot help you. Our job isn't to pander to every fanboy's religious-like frenzy, it is to create something Hironobu Sakaguchi would be proud of.

Generally, the people who attack this project unfairly make the following type of remarks:

"You are changing something I grew up with.  I and many others loved it the way it was, bad translation or not."

So if we had been the original localizers, and the version that you grew up with was our version (which is far more accurate and professional), you'd now be defending our version.  There is no logic whatsoever in this "criticism", and you have the choice to play the original game.

"I liked the original place names and character names. They are canon and you are changing canon."

When you say canon, let us be clear what that means.  It means "English canon", because every game is localized for many countries, and each have their own quirks.  A lot of these quirks are there because of a bad or lacking original translation.  I see no issue at all in correcting this type of mistake.  On the other hand, there is a logical reason for "Megalixir" being used instead of "Last Elixir" (for example), and so in those cases I have given you a choice in the installer.  I have also allowed the incorrect original place names and character names to be used.

"I liked Barrett being like Mr. T, and so did others. "

You aren't the original writer.

J R R Tolkien said it best in the following passage, upset by a translator's hack job with his material:

Quote from: J R R Tolkien
    In principle I object as strongly as is possible to the 'translation' of the nomenclature at all (even by a competent person). I wonder why a translator should think himself called on or entitled to do any such thing. That this is an 'imaginary' world does not give him any right to remodel it according to his fancy, even if he could in a few months create a new coherent structure which it took me years to work out. [...] May I say at once that I will not tolerate any similar tinkering with the personal nomenclature. Nor with the name/word Hobbit.

"Why don't you leave X mistake? I liked it."

Genuine mistakes must be corrected or else what is the point in even starting this project? For every mistake you like, another person will not agree. Ultimately the original writers are what matter.

"I think that X was the way it was because [insert ridiculous excuse]."

Just because you can come up with some absolutely crack pot explanation for why X ended up Y, does not make it correct.

The original localization IS mediocre.  It suffers from some terrible mistakes in translation, and a lot of unnatural dialogue. The original game could have been so much better, and for whatever reason (bad communication, crazy deadline, bad management), we were short changed the first time around.

FAQ

Credits

Manager
        DLPB

Translation
        Luksy [693/693 maps, and non-dialogue]

New Localization
        DLPB, Luksy

Original Localization
        Michael Baskett

Proof Checking and English consultant:
        Covarr

Additional Proof Checking
        DLPB

File Editing
        DLPB, Luksy

Non-Dialogue Quality Assurance
        DLPB, Luksy, Defade, Herman, Ragnarok2040, JeffreyATW

Scottish Proof Check
        Prince Lex

Testers
        kalkano, Green_goblin

And
        All those who have helped on Qhimm forum.

« Last Edit: 2015-02-17 09:04:51 by DLPB »

DLPB

• No life
      • View Profile
    Menu Overhaul
    « Reply #2 on: 2014-01-07 21:17:42 »
    Menu Overhaul
      by DLPB and Kranmer

The Menu Overhaul is an extensive mod that updates the font, menu and battle interface of Final Fantasy VII (1998 English version only). There are additional options allowed from the Reunion installer.

Key Features
    • Completely redesigned battle interface in FF9 style.
    • Thousands of menu alignment issues fixed.
    • Team Avalanche/sl1982 updates.
    • New font from ground up, including foreign character support.
    • Playstation button graphics reinstated
    • Less textures needed.
    • Options for some graphics and fixes.
    • Option for break 9999 limit (From Dziugo).
    • Time limit cap of 99 hr 59 min 59 sec is now set to 999 hr 59 min 59 sec.
    • Animated barrier graphics.
    • More Items in menus.
    Status
    Completed

Information

When I began work on Beacause, I realised that certain things needed to be altered on the menu to accommodate the new name lengths; for example, magic names ran into the red arrow graphic (that indicate All is applied).  I had no idea how to hex edit, or how to assemble, or anything.  Kranmer did and showed me the ropes, editing the red arrow positions.  Within only a few hours I understood enough to hex edit the game based on the values Kranmer documented.  We decided that Kranmer would locate the values and code a few that were missing, and I would design and hex edit.  It quickly became a full project intended to correct the thousands of alignment issues that exist in the original release.  I can't quite believe they got away with releasing the game as it was.

After a while it became necessary for me to learn a degree of assembly, so that I could correct a few additional problems.  We finished version 004 of the Menu Reconstruction (the predecessor of this mod) and turned full attention to the Battle Interface Reconstruction, which Kranmer had already started as a separate project.

Unfortunately, after both were completed, I became dissatisfied with the results (due to the dorky old font), and so I had to create a new font.  After this was finished, it became apparent that multiple things would then need changing yet again.  The normal menu has now been redesigned from scratch, and so has the battle interface.  This became the Menu Overhaul, and it all started because we had to change the position of the red arrow graphic on the menu.

If you don't want to use the new font, and need alignments fixing for the original game graphics, use our older project Menu Reconstruction Here. Please note, this installer is no longer supported and I will not help in any way with it.

FAQ:

Q.  The graphics look really messed up, especially in battle
    A.  Make sure you are using latest Custom Driver by Aali.  Make sure you installed this project last and did not install Team Avalanche Menu Overhaul.  Make sure your modpath in ff7_opengl.cfg reads "modpath = Reunion".  Make sure that you have cleared Cache folder in the modpath, and try "Compress Textures = no" in ff7_opengl.cfg.

Q.  The graphics are not updating when I change things in the Reunion folder
    A.  Make sure cache folder is cleared and that your modpath is set correctly.

Q.  Do I need to install Team Avalanche Menu Overhaul?
    A.  No.  The Reunion installer comes with much of their work and uses a different modpath.

Q.  My other lovely updates like that World Map overhaul by FeliX are no longer working.
    A.  Move the Reunion files and folders into your OLD modpath and change ff7_opengl.cfg back to the correct older modpath.

Q. This mod seems to be incompatible with one of my mods.
    A.  Post detailed explanation on this thread.

Q.  Graphics look rubbish... the font looks bad.
    A.   Set fancy_transparency = on, in ff7_opengl.cfg

Q. The game borders look broken... choppy!
    A. You have to set your config properly when using fullscreen.
        You must set it to your screen resolution e.g.
        window_size_x = 1024
        window_size_y = 768

Q. What isn't compatible with this mod?
    A.  Team Avalanche Menu Overhaul (main TA package is cool to use), Remix patcher, other break 9999HP patches.  Everything else is.

Do Nots

1. Do not install Team Avalanche menu overhaul or associated menu files.  This mod will not support it. If you have done, please reinstall our Menu Overhaul Project again.

2. Do not install ANY mod which changes the layout of the menu.

3. Do not install any break 9999HP patchers.

Credits

DLPB:
       Hex editing
       Design
       Coding
       Font

Placement on textures of nearly all graphics
       Font (usfont_a and usfont_b types)
       Font (btl_win_d types)
       Font ,stars and limit bar (btl_win_b types).
       btl_win_c_l_04.png
       New Death/tweaked target (btl_win_c_l_07.png)
        btl_win_c_h_01.png, btl_win_c_l_01.png
         (Modified graphics to be smaller and properly centred)
       Credits (cr\name types)
       Game Over (disc\e_over types)
       500 years later (after_1_00.png
       Magic/yubi_00.png (taken from TA graphics)

Kranmer:
       Hex locating and documentation

Sl1982 / Team Avalanche:
       coloa_00.png
       colob_00.png
       btl_win_a_l_11.png
       btl_win_b_l_11.png
       btl_win_b_l_12.png
       Target and red arrows (btl_win_c_l_07.png).
       (DLPB modified the target)
       btl_win_c_h_01.png, btl_win_c_l_01.png
       btl_win_a_l_07.png
       Slot and hands (btl_win_b_l_01.png)
       Slot, Weapon and item graphic (btl_win_a_l_01.png)
       Character Avatars
       flevel/hand_1_01.png
       flevel/hand_1_09.png
       world/midlmap_00.png
       world/midlmap2_00.png
       world/radar_00.png

FeliX Leonhart:
       Tweaked Font colour (using DLPB usfont types)
       Tweaked Font colour (using DLPB btl_win_d types)
       Graphics (btl_win_b types)
       Barrier graphics (btl_win_a_l_07.png)
       Credits background (opback types)
       FF7 logo text (ff7logo_a_00.png, ff7logo_b_00.png,
                                     ff7logo_c_00.png)

Dziugo:
       Break 9999 HP Limit
       Fixes to some code
       Coding consultant

Aali:
       Coding consultant
       Fix for Ultima and Shadow Flare

mugenginga:
       New Playstation button graphics       

BloodShot:
       Transparent avatars (using TA scans)

Grimmy:
       Coloured menu icons (using TA graphics)

~eldi13:
       FF7 logo (ff7logo_*)

Renders Graphiques.fr:
       Squaresoft logo (ff7logo_c_00.png, ff7logo_d_00.png)

NCS:
       Buster Sword background (buster_00.png)

DLPB/Covarr:
       Borders (btl_win_c_h_00.png, btl_win_c_l_00.png)
    « Last Edit: 2015-02-16 20:18:42 by DLPB »

DLPB

• No life
      • View Profile
    60FPS BATTLES
    « Reply #3 on: 2014-01-07 21:18:35 »
    60FPS Battles
    by DLPB

This mod will restore the PSX battle mechanics relating to framerate. The PSX version of Final Fantasy VII runs internally at 60fps, but when ported to the PC, the nature of the differences in hardware meant that absolute limits had to be placed on the separate modules.  Field has 30 unique frames a second, the world map has 30 unique frames a second, the menu has 60 unique frames a second.

The problem with the PC version is that the battles are being capped at 15fps which, while correct for the battle elements (models, magic animations and so on), is incorrect for the camera (which has 30 unique frames) and the battle menu (which has 60 unique frames). In the PSX version, the battle elements are duplicated three times.  In the PC version, the 15fps cap affects the camera and the menu, breaking them.  This is most notable when using slots (Cait Sith, Tifa, Battle Arena), which now have 4x less accuracy and fluidity than the PSX version.

This mod works by hijacking the pause function to duplicate the battle elements in much the same way as the PSX version.  Because it is using a method the game was not designed for, there may be certain issues in game.  Hopefully, these issues can be remedied in time.

Status
    Everything works fine except for two things:
    1. Certain models may flicker (I am looking into this, but will need bug reports from people who experience this)
    2. Battles will run at around 57 fps.  This is not my issue- it's an issue with the broken fps limiter.  Maybe Aali can fix it?

When recording battles, you should use a trainer like Ochu to set the battle fps to 120 and let fraps/dxtory do the limiting (to 60).  This way you will get a perfect 60fps game.

DLPB:
       Coding

Special thanks to NFITC1, who continues to offer knowledge on the inner workings of FF7 code.

« Last Edit: 2015-02-16 21:19:09 by DLPB »

DLPB

• No life
      • View Profile
    Weapon
    « Reply #4 on: 2014-01-07 21:19:59 »
    Weapon
      by DLPB

Weapon is a difficulty mod.  Its aim is to provide a balanced, professional and fair update to the game's difficulty.  Weapon is currently at an early stage in development.

Status
    This is a massive project that requires editing virtually every main file in the game.  So far, only the Gold Saucer mini-games are completed.  There is much work to do in every other department.

Key Features

As of R02b
    • Gold Saucer has had extensive editing.  Script has been amended or added for G-Bike, Wonder Catcher, Submarine, Coaster, Snowboard, 3-D Battler, and Wrestling.
    • Coaster mini-game has had a complete change in points allocation.  Some hittable objects have been removed, while others added. Hittable objects energy has been amended (for example, the mother ship is much harder to destroy).  The propeller bug and boat rotor bug have been removed.  The aimer speed has been fixed (originally it was 2x too fast).
    • Submarine mini-game has been reprogrammed somewhat.  The new controls are similar to the Europe/US/International release of the game, and 5 unique difficulties have been added. Other minor changes have been made.
    Information

Most difficulty mods have got the balance completely wrong in my opinion, and have ended up making the game a chore, rather than a fun experience. This mod attempts to address the problems in balance, and make you think more about your actions in game.  For example, in battle, rather than pressing attack continually, you will be encouraged to think about which attacks will hurt a particular enemy.  A mechanical enemy will succumb much more easily to lightning attacks than anything else.  Weapon tries not to inflate difficulty artificially through high HP amounts or cheap gimmicks.

Weapon will also address the game-play outside of battle. For example, script changes have been made to change items received in some areas, price of goods will be changed and various mini-games have been modified.

Credits

DLPB:
       3D-Battler
       Coaster
       Snowboard
       Submarine
       Wrestling
       Wonder Catcher
            Clock fix

Luksy:
       3D-Battler
    « Last Edit: 2015-02-16 21:16:35 by DLPB »

DLPB

• No life
      • View Profile
    Model Overhaul
    « Reply #5 on: 2014-01-07 21:20:42 »
    Model Overhaul
      by SquallFF8, Kaldarasha, PRP, Grimmy, Pitbrat
                  Bloodshot, Dahfa, Strayoff, Anfiga

The Model Overhaul is an extensive replacement for the game's models. The models have been chosen to provide what I believe is an improvement to the original game, while staying true to it. The models are mostly from Kaldarasha's unshaded updates.

Status

This first revision is a collection of models, primarily from Squallff8, Kaldarasha and PRP. The main problem with this release is that certain models will have bad animation.  This is something that the modelling community are working to improve.

Key Features
    • All field models updated
    • World map characters and Weapon monsters updated.
    Information

The original game models were already dated somewhat after the arrival of Final Fantasy VIII. Today, they look more dated than ever.  The original models are of low quality, and often resemble lego more than they do humans.  That is not to say that I see them as bad or useless.  I can appreciate that some people will like their look because it suits the overall original game style, but I personally believe that Final Fantasy VII is made better by more realistic looking graphics.  The developers also seem to agree because they improved on VII's models in later game releases.

I do however, make an effort to stick to models that improve on the original, while maintaining their intended look and style.  This means that prequel and sequel material (among others) will not be included in this mod.

Credits

SquallFF8:
       Field (88)

PRP:
       Field (47)
       Minigame (6)
       World (4)

Kaldarasha:
       (Many of these are modified from SquallFF8 and others)
       Field (89)
       World (4)

Grimmy:
       (Updated PRP models)
       Field (17)

Pitbrat:
       (SquallFF8 fix)
       Field (1)
       Pitbrat fixes, maintains and sorts nearly all models

Dahfa:
       Field (2)

Bloodshot:
       Battle (2)
       Minigame (1)
       Field animation modifications and fixes

Strayoff:
       Fort Condor Remake

Anfiga:
       Battle (1)

DLPB:
       Model selection for The Reunion
    « Last Edit: 2014-01-07 22:30:11 by DLPB »

DLPB

• No life
      • View Profile
    Memory Patches
    « Reply #6 on: 2014-01-07 21:21:34 »
    Memory Patches
      by DLPB, Dziugo and Kranmer

Memory Patches are a collection of tweaks and cheats in text format that are injected at run-time.  The patches can be added or removed easily from a folder.

Status

I consider this collection largely complete.  Myself and others do sometimes have an idea for a new patch, and so additional ones may be added at a later time.

Features
    • Default run (Character will run by default).
    • Disable mouse support (Mouse input will be removed).
    • Faster animation (Battle animations will be 2X faster).
    • Faster enemy death (Enemy deaths will be faster).
    • Faster battle numbers (Damage/heath numbers will disappear faster).
    • Gypt (FMV's can be skipped with Ctrl-S, then Ctrl-D).
    • Increase sense limit (Sense will work up to 65535 HP).
    • No battle boxes (All battle menu boxes will be removed).
    • No command box (Command text will appear without the box).
    • Invincible (Main characters will be immune to normal damage).
    • Lucky Cait (Manipulate Cait's reels).
    • Lucky Tifa (Tifa's reels will always display "Yeah!")
    • No random battles
    • Save/PHS anywhere
    Information

Originally, when someone wanted to make a change to the game, they would be forced to edit the executable.  With the increase in mods available, making so many changes has become tedious.  So I created a launcher (HextLaunch) that could make memory changes from text file instructions.  In other words, changing and editing patches can now be done from notepad, and can be easily added or removed.

Credits

DLPB:
       Invincible
       Faster battle animation
       Faster enemy death animation
       Faster battle numbers
       No battle boxes   
       No random battles (modified from Kranmer's)

Kranmer:
       No command box
       No random battles
       Save/PHS anywhere

Dziugo:
       Lucky Cait
       Lucky Tifa
       Gypt
       Default run

Kruci:
       Default run

Aali:
       No mouse input
    « Last Edit: 2015-02-16 20:22:44 by DLPB »

DLPB

• No life
      • View Profile
    1:35 Soldier Quest
    « Reply #7 on: 2014-01-07 21:22:45 »
    1:35 Soldier Quest will go here.
    99 1:35 Soldiers will be hidden throughout the world as collectables.
    « Last Edit: 2014-09-18 11:07:16 by DLPB »

mugenginga

• Crazy poster
      • View Profile
      • MugenGinga Studio Online Shop
    Re: The Reunion [new thread in progress]
    « Reply #8 on: 2014-01-07 23:10:21 »
    Oops, the link doesn't work yet I think I jumped the gun ahaha. XD

EDIT: Nevermind, there it is. ^_^
    « Last Edit: 2014-01-07 23:42:01 by mugenginga »

LeonhartGR

• No life
    • ~Whatever...~
      • View Profile
      • LeonhartGR Productions
    « Reply #9 on: 2014-01-07 23:35:56 »
    Oh Daniel... it was quite enjoyable reading the descriptions... especially the re-translation criticism part! LMAO... :D You should send this to OTAKU once it's complete!

DLPB

• No life
      • View Profile
    Re: The Reunion
    « Reply #10 on: 2014-01-07 23:40:28 »

Not here.  Wait for R02.
    « Last Edit: 2015-02-08 21:46:29 by DLPB »

mugenginga

• Crazy poster
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: 2014-01-07 23:46:12 »
    AWW YEAH HERE WE GO. 8D

I'll log any grammatical or graphical errors I catch and let you guys know. ^_^

DLPB

• No life
      • View Profile
    Re: The Reunion
    « Reply #12 on: 2014-01-07 23:48:32 »
    Please also be aware that the coaster and snowboard minigames will only work right with aali's newest driver.  If you don't have that, you can set ff7_opengl.cfg vsync to ON, the framelimiter to OFF, and then set your graphic card to 60hz monitor refresh rate.  That will work the same.  Also note you need to install Weapon for correct coaster aimer.

Retranslated FMV tomorrow.
    « Last Edit: 2014-01-08 00:44:19 by DLPB »

mugenginga

• Crazy poster
      • View Profile
    Re: [REL] The Reunion
    « Reply #13 on: 2014-01-08 01:42:01 »
    Okay, wow, I haven't even gone into Tifa's bar yet and I can already start raving.  The game has managed to already be darker (as is fitting) with a proper translation and I love the attention to the NPCs and their dialogue that I didn't realize even existed cause of the original translation. And Barrett's personality already feels a bit different (in a good way!) as a result of his more accurate lines.  And wow, a lot of reactions sure make a lot more sense than they did before!

I have encountered a slight problem, already, though.  Usually right after an FMV moment (not the full ones, but minor ones like them running out of the reactor as it blows up or when Cloud jumps onto the train), the sound cuts out.  It returns as soon as you change screens, so at worst it's mildly annoying, but I figured it was worth mention. I'm not certain its the mod though, so it could be some argument between the game and my PC.

I can't believe the game is already making more sense though, gosh. XDD

EDIT: Forgot to mention the models.  They work great visually and I can now say I think the HD chibi models would be all wrong.  They're just too detailed to fit with the rest of the environment.  The current ones don't look disproportionate like I half expected, either!
    « Last Edit: 2014-01-08 01:46:04 by mugenginga »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
    • Administrator
    • No life
    • The Great Redarr.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: 2014-01-08 01:49:06 »
    I have encountered a slight problem, already, though.  Usually right after an FMV moment (not the full ones, but minor ones like them running out of the reactor as it blows up or when Cloud jumps onto the train), the sound cuts out.  It returns as soon as you change screens, so at worst it's mildly annoying, but I figured it was worth mention.
    This is a bug when using the 1998 version of FF7 on Windows Vista or 7; the game tries to cut out MIDI music, but since the OS no longer has a separate control for MIDI, it ends up cutting out sound altogether.

I haven't tried it yet, but I assume using the latest version of Aali's driver along with OGG music should fix this.

sonickenshin

• Fast newbie
      • View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: 2014-01-08 03:13:27 »
    At last...PROPER SENTENCES! XD I'm loving the models. They fit right in without looking out of place.

....though this happened.
    http://imageshack.us/a/img801/5682/ffoe.jpg

Dunno how it happened. Cloud's sword is now completely white and now the time bar is running too far to the left. It might be the stuff I installed from Tifa's package, but I don't know. I may try reinstalling the game later.

« Last Edit: 2014-01-08 03:22:39 by sonickenshin »

EQ2Alyza

• No life
      • View Profile
      • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
    « Reply #16 on: 2014-01-08 04:04:48 »
    At last...PROPER SENTENCES! XD I'm loving the models. They fit right in without looking out of place.

....though this happened.
    http://imageshack.us/a/img801/5682/ffoe.jpg

Dunno how it happened. Cloud's sword is now completely white and now the time bar is running too far to the left. It might be the stuff I installed from Tifa's package, but I don't know. I may try reinstalling the game later.

I wouldn't use The Reunion alongside Bootleg. There will almost definitely be bugs to iron out, but seeing as PitBrat is on hiatus for who knows how long, Bootleg won't see updates any time soon. I think moving onto 7thHeaven is the better option for installing mods alongside The Reunion.

mugenginga

• Crazy poster
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: 2014-01-08 04:25:53 »
    This is a bug when using the 1998 version of FF7 on Windows Vista or 7; the game tries to cut out MIDI music, but since the OS no longer has a separate control for MIDI, it ends up cutting out sound altogether.

I haven't tried it yet, but I assume using the latest version of Aali's driver along with OGG music should fix this.

It's not the driver, I made sure to update Aali's to the newest, but I'll look into that OGG issue. Thanks!

DLPB

• No life
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: 2014-01-08 05:17:19 »
    It might still be the driver... it definitely has one bug where the music just plays on through FMV. 

@sonickenshin Your issue with the time bar etc is caused by not having a clean ff7.exe before installing mod (some other mod you have installed has already altered the menu).
    « Last Edit: 2014-01-08 05:23:41 by DLPB »

mugenginga

• Crazy poster
      • View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: 2014-01-08 05:23:19 »
    Ah, well, I'm no expert when it comes to these things so its possible.

Actual error found though, grammar issue.  When you have the 'help' feature turned on in battle and hover over Magic it says "Cast a magic".  Grammatically incorrect, two easy fixes would be "Cast Magic" (a little awkward imo) or "Cast a spell". "Cast a magic spell" would work as well. I think it's referred to as 'a magic' in one other place but I forgot to note it. This is on the American English version, don't know if it would be present on the British English one.

DLPB

• No life
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: 2014-01-08 05:24:13 »
    Yeah, Covarr noted that and I forgot to update the one in the menu (appears 3 times).  *fixed*
    « Last Edit: 2014-01-08 05:28:16 by DLPB »

LosBadylos

• Fast newbie
      • View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: 2014-01-08 06:04:32 »
    Fantastic job! I was waiting on pins and needles for this mod, it's a huge milestone in modding FFVII and I'm sure that info about this release will be soon all over the internet. Few years back I didn't expect that someone would successfully fix this flawed translation and you guys did (and are still doing) an outstanding job with your careful and thoughtful approach.

Just one question - as far as I know it isn't possible to install this on the Steam version and keep achievements, clouds saves and such, right? It requires converting with one of the tools posted in this forums?

DLPB

• No life
      • View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: 2014-01-08 06:06:45 »
    That's right.  Unfortunately, the Steam version will probably not allow changes to the main executable which means I dropped translation support for it.  If someone can confirm that changes to the Steam executable works, I may add support for it.  But you are far better off with the moddable version of VII anyway.

Thisguyaresick2

« Reply #23 on: 2014-01-08 08:05:01 »
    Ah, well, I'm no expert when it comes to these things so its possible.

Actual error found though, grammar issue.  When you have the 'help' feature turned on in battle and hover over Magic it says "Cast a magic".  Grammatically incorrect, two easy fixes would be "Cast Magic" (a little awkward imo) or "Cast a spell". "Cast a magic spell" would work as well. I think it's referred to as 'a magic' in one other place but I forgot to note it. This is on the American English version, don't know if it would be present on the British English one.
    "Use magic". It's the literal translation for 魔法を使う (mahou wo tsukau).

DLPB

• No life
      • View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: 2014-01-08 10:57:01 »
    I've gone with "Cast a magic spell" because it doesn't change anything and feels more natural.  Also, the idea is that they are chanting spells (that's why Silence stops you from casting magic).

...although come to think of it, "use magic" isn't too bad at all.
    « Last Edit: 2014-01-08 11:17:02 by DLPB »