Photo: Daniel Miller, Dr. Linhart, Nicole Gardner
At MathFest 2013
- B.S., Mathematics, Univ. of Chicago, 1990
- M.A., Mathematics, Univ. of Texas at Austin, 1993
- Ph.D., Mathematics, Univ. of Texas at Austin, 1999
- Spring 2014:
- Fall 2013:
- Spring 2013:
442 -- Mathematical Modeling Sections 930, 931
Class Period: 930: TuTh 9:35-10:50 in BLOC 123
Class Period: 931: TuTh 2:20-3:35 in BLOC 123
- Math 491 -- Research
- Math 285 -- Quantitative Biology Seminar, M 5:30 - 6:45 BLOC 148
- Fall 2012:
- Spring 2012:
- Fall 2011:
Math 152 --
Engineering Calculus 2 Sections 501-503.
- Lecture: MWF 10:20 - 11:10 AM HELD 111
- Lab Section 501: Tue 2:20 - 3:10 CE 136; Th 2:20-3:10 BLOC
- Lab Section 502: Tue 3:55 - 4:45 CE 136; Th 2:20-3:10 BLOC 126
- Lab Section 503: Tue 5:30 - 6:20 CE 006; Th 2:20-3:10 BLOC 123
Math 442 --
Mathematical Modeling Section 500: TR 8:00 - 9:15 am BLOC 122
- Summer 2011:
Math 308 --
Ordinary Differential Equations Section 200: MTWRF 10-11:35 BLOC 128
- Spring 2011:
Math 304 -- Linear
Algebra Section 503: TuTh 12:45 - 2:00 pm, BLOC 160.
- Fall 2010: Math
251 -- Vector Calculus Section 504: MW 4:10-5:25 pm, BLOC 166; Section 505:
MWF 12:30-1:20 pm, HELD 109.
-- Theory of Partial Differential Equations Section 200: Lecture --
-- MTWRF 10 - 11:35 BLOC 164.
- Spring 2010:
-- Numerical Analysis Section 500: Lecture MWF 11:30 - 12:20 CE
222, Lab Th 8-8:50 BLOC 123
- Fall 2009:
-- Functions, Trigonometry and Linear Systems
Sections 513-518: Lecture TuTh 12:45-2:00pm, RICH 106
- Spring 2009: Math 308 -- Differential Equations
Section 517: TuTh 8 - 9:15 am, BLOC 122
Fall 2008: Math 166 -- Finite mathematics
Section 501: MWF 8 - 8:50 am, HELD 107
Daniel Miller started working on a project to create a
mathematical model for a solar hot water heating system in my
mathematical modeling (Math 442) class, and continued that project
as part of the Undergraduate Research Scholars program. Daniel has
been wildly successful!
- Goldwater Scholar for the 2013-2014 academic year
- Runner-up for outstanding STEM thesis at Texas A&M;, May 2013
- SIAM award from Pi Mu Epsilon for his presentation at MathFest,
- Article on his final project for Mathematical Modeling (Math 442)
was accepted to Explorations and published in late 2012.
- Won TAMU's writing center video competition in 2012 with a video
created for Mathematical Modeling (Math 442).
Jean Marie Linhart and Daniel Miller; TAMU group at MathFest 2013
Other student successes with research projects from my Mathematical Modeling (Math
- Inwhi (Andy) Cho:
- Article on final project accepted to Explorations.
- First place undergraduate mathematics poster at Student Research
Week ($300 award).
- Finalist in TAMU's writing center writing competition (2012).
- Frances Withrow:
- Presented her final project at MathFest 2012 in a Pi Mu Epsilon
session and in the Great Talks for Graduate Students session.
- Won the SIAM award from Pi Mu Epsilon at MathFest for her
presentation ($150 award).
- Kathleen Karika presented her final project at MathFest 2012.
Kathleen Karika, Frances Withrow, Jean Marie Linhart and Sue
Geller at MathFest 2012
- Free advice! Satisfaction guaranteed or your money back.
- Seriously, sometimes it helps just to have someone listen, and if
I can be that someone for you, I would be honored.
- If you want career advice or to talk about personal or academic
problems or if you are just feeling homesick and want someone to
talk to, that's what I've signed up to do by becoming an ATMentor.
- I'm a math teacher, and I want students to have success and enjoy
learning math. If you are struggling
with math phobia or anxiety and I can help, I would like to do that.
- College coursework is much more difficult than high school
coursework. Sometimes the lesson a semester administers isn't the
academic material so much as a life lesson. Whatever it is, we do
our best to go on from there. You are all important. If I can
help, please let me help.
- To paraphrase my hero,
Carl Rogers: I
want to provide a relationship which another can use for personal
Organizer of the AMUSE seminar, Fall 2013
Just for fun
I like to ride my bike in my spare time; I also enjoy reading,
running, writing, and geocaching. For more information on bicycling
in Bryan/College Station check out the
Brazos Valley Cyclists
Brazos Valley Mountain Bike
Association. For writing check
out Brazoswriters. For Geocaching, check
I am on Facebook and on Twitter. If you are a student, you are welcome to
follow my Twitter feed; just don't expect any exam hints. ;) I tend to
tweet interesting math and bicycling links. If you are a student
and want to be my FB friend, please not while you are in my class
for all the obvious reasons.
(C) 2008/2009/2010/2011/2012/2013/2014 Jean Marie Linhart, all