2015 UP Commonwealth Doctoral Scholarship
Bursar: University of Pretoria
Validity: 07 February 2014 - 18 August 2014
APPLICATIONS FOR COMMONWEALTH SCHOLARSHIPS TENABLE IN SOUTH AFRICA FOR DOCTORAL STUDIES AT THE UNIVERSITY OF PRETORIA, SOUTH AFRICA
The University of Pretoria is a research intensive university. Hence, it is seeking candidates for doctoral studies who will make significant contributions to its research endeavour. As part of South Africa's contribution to the Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan, the University of Pretoria has made funds available for two doctoral scholarships for students coming from Commonwealth Countries (excluding South African students). This scholarship will be known as the University of Pretoria Commonwealth Doctoral Scholarship and will be awarded on a competitive basis.
The University of Pretoria has established a reputation for academic excellence, particularly in relation to some of its major research activities. Information about these research activities can be obtained from the website of the University:
Intranet site: http://web.up.ac.za/default.asp?ipkCategoryID=8919&language=0
Internet site: http://web.up.ac.za/default.asp?ipkCategoryID=1630
DRIS info: http://web.up.ac.za/default.asp?ipkCategoryID=7313
- The UP Commonwealth Doctoral Scholarship will be awarded to applicants who are citizens of Commonwealth countries.
- Applicants must conduct their studies at the University of Pretoria.
- Applicants must have completed the degree that will give them admission to a doctoral programme no more than three years prior to their application for the University of Pretoria Commonwealth Doctoral Scholarship.
- Applicants must not be older than 35 years of age at time of application.
- PhD and Masters students currently registered at the University of Pretoria are not eligible for the Doctoral Scholarship.
2. Value of Doctoral Scholarship
The value of this Doctoral Scholarship will be R120 000 in 2015.
This amount must be used to cover the following student costs:
2.1 Accommodation and living costs
2.2 Medical Aid
Note: Fees will be covered by the award of a UP Postgraduate Scholarship
Research costs will be covered by the Supervisor
Additional costs covered by the University:
- Return flight ticket from home country
- Shuttle service on arrival in South Africa from OR Tambo International Airport to Pretoria and return from Pretoria to OR Tambo on completion.
- Application fee and Visa costs which will be refunded on proof of receipts on arrival.
Costs not covered by the Institution:
- Family expenses
- Additional baggage expenses
3. Supplementary Funds
The holder of this scholarship may hold supplementary bursaries/ grants/scholarships.
4. Period of support
The scholarship will be for a maximum period of support of three academic years.
Doctoral students who are not able to complete within the maximum three academic year period due to unforeseeable reasons must provide a written motivation supported by their supervisor as to why an extension is necessary. The extension request will be considered by the University’s Institutional Selection Committee.
The motivation must also indicate the following:
4.1 The number of additional months that will be required (may not exceed 12 months)
4.2 The research costs required for the extension period.
4.3 The amount of financial support the Supervisor can provide towards the extension period.
5. Application Procedure
In order to be considered for this scholarship, candidates must submit the following documentation to the University of Pretoria;
- An agreement and motivation, from a suitable academic supervisor at the University, that the candidate can work under their supervision.
- An outline (one A4 page), of the research work that they wish to undertake.
- UP application Form can be downloaded from the following links:
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) – no more than 4 pages
- Two certified passport copies
- Full academic transcripts of all qualifications obtained.
- 2 Letters of reference from academics/supervisors who have current knowledge of the applicant’s academic performance.Referees should be asked to comment on the following aspects of the candidate’s qualities:
o Past academic performance
o Research ability as evidenced by their Masters studies
o Suitability for the study that is proposed
o Potential in the chosen field of doctoral studies.
: Referees to send directly to Leanne.firstname.lastname@example.org
• Hard copy Application Format: Submitted together with the required supporting documents to the Consultant at the Client Service Centre and to
the proposed supervisor:
• Electronic application Format: Send the “T” number details and the supporting documents to the Consultant at the Client Service Centre only and inform the proposed supervisor.
Mrs Leanne van Zyl
Client Service Centre
Postgraduate Scholarship Office
University of Pretoria
6. Terms and Conditions
Support for the subsequent years will be subject to:
- submission of a progress report three months before the end of the each year of study,
- confirmation by the supervisor that the scholar’s progress is satisfactory supported by the Head of Academic Department in which the student is registered
On completion of the degree the candidate will be expected to return to his/her home country.
7. Selection Criteria
Award of this scholarship will be based on:
- Academic performance of the candidate.
- Potential to undertake advanced research activities.
- Leadership qualities.
- Evidence of research accomplishment at the masters’ level by means of publications or other appropriate products of the work undertaken.
- Prizes and honours received.
Selection of the candidates for these scholarships will be conducted by the University’s Institutional Selection Committee.
The successful applicant will be informed by e-mail and official letter of acceptance. Candidates, who have not received written notification within eight weeks of the closing date, must please contact the Client Service Centre : Leanne.email@example.com
8. Countries Eligible
9. Closing Date
The closing date for the 2015 Academic year is 18 August 2014
Please quote “UP Commonwealth Scholarship” on your application when applying for this scholarship.
No late and incomplete applications will be considered.