Welcome to the Glen Burnie (Maryland) Volunteer Fire Department Home Page. This company has been serving Anne Arundel County since 1922, and is an integral part of the Anne Arundel County Fire Department. Our company operates out of Station 33, located at 15 Central Ave in downtown Glen Burnie. This station serves an area of approximately 45,000 people. Station 33 consists of 4 shifts of 8 career personnel that operate 24/7 and 35 volunteers that support operations on weeknights.
We operate in conjunction with the Anne Arundel Fire Department, a combination service comprised of approximately 800 paid and 1300 volunteer personnel.
Celebrating Over 86 Years of Community Service
A public meeting was called in March 1922, and attended by about forty (40) residents. The meeting was chaired by Dr. Thomas Brayshaw, showed the necessity of protecting the homes and occupants from the ever present danger of fire. The meeting resulted in the formation of the Glen Burnie Volunteer Fire Company No. 1.
The first piece of rolling equipment was built by the members of the fire company. It was a 1-1/2 ton Federal Speed Chassis with a hose bed, a ladder rack and a 100 gallon booster tank connected to a 100 g.p.m.chain driven Blackmer passive pump, along with ladders, 1000 ft. of 2-1/2 inch hose, axes, etc. This was ready in 1922. The new apparatus was housed in the local blacksmith shop.
In 1925 the Glen Burnie Improvement Association erected a fire station, a 30' by 50' brick and frame building.
In 1927 a new 750 gallon pumper engine was presented to the fire company by the Glen Burnie Improvement Association.
In November 1937 the Glen Burnie Volunteer Fire Department joined the Anne Arundel Volunteer Fire Fighters Assocation.and at a later date joined the Maryland State Firemans's Association. In 1967 the fire company built a new station, this station now houses modern, state of the art equipment.
The Glen Burnie Volunteer Fire Department has progressed over the years through dedication to training, diligence in fundraising to be able to purchase modern equipment, and the tireless efforts of our wonderful volunteers to always be the Finest of the First.