INSIDE THE LAIR: Pictures of dishevelled granny flat where terror accused 'planned to attack a Sydney police station or officers on the street' 

  • Two men were arrested in western Sydney on Tuesday
  • Raids were carried out on their home, a car and two work places
  • Mohammad Kiad, 25, and Omar al-Kutobi, 24, lived together
  • They have been pictured together on Facebook smoking shisha in 2013
  • The men will appear at Sydney's Central Local Court on Thursday
  • 'A machete, a hunting knife, a home-made flag representing IS and also a video which depicted a man talking about carrying out an attack' seized
  • They planned to target a Sydney police station and officers on the street 
  • 'These men were not on our radar,' NSW Police Deputy Commissioner says
  • Last year a senior member of ISIS urged a network in Australia to carry out public beheadings  
  • Neighbour says both young men became withdrawn over the last month

The two men charged with plotting an 'imminent' terror attack on Sydney involving large knives lived together in a white granny flat, it has been revealed.

Mohammad Kiad, 25, and Omar al-Kutobi, 24, shared a home in Fairfield in Sydney's west, where a home-made flag, representing the prescribed terrorist organisation Islamic State, was found.

A Sydney police station and officers on the street were revealed to have been the mens' targets, with attacks scheduled for just before midnight on Tuesday, Channel Nine reported. 

During police raids at the property on Tuesday afternoon a machete, a hunting knife, and a video featuring both the men, with one recorded making threats, was also discovered according to police.

It's understood Al-Kutobi is from Iraq and was granted citizenship in 2013. Kiad, a former nurse, is believed to be from Kuwait.

The two men did not appear in court and asked not to be brought up from the cells at Fairfield Local Court, where Counter Terrorism Task Force detectives were in attendance, on Wednesday afternoon.

Scroll down for video 

Pictured smoking shisha in mid-2013: The mens' neighbours said they mostly kept to themselves but admitted their behaviour had changed drastically in the last few months following police raids in western Sydney and the Martin Place siege 

Pictured are the two men who were charged with plotting an 'imminent' terror attack in Sydney: Mohammad Kiad (left),25, and Omar al-Kutobi (right), 24

Mohammad Kiad, 25, and Omar al-Kutobi, 24, lived together in this granny flat in Sydney's west 

Mohammad Kiad, 25, and Omar al-Kutobi, 24, lived together in this granny flat in Sydney's west 

During police raids at the property on Tuesday it's alleged a machete, a hunting knife, and a video featuring one of the men making threats were found

During police raids at the property on Tuesday it's alleged a machete, a hunting knife, and a video featuring one of the men making threats were found

Police will allege the men were plotting to carry out an attack on Tuesday and had armed themselves with a machete and a hunting knife and made a video detailing their plans.

An image of the pair smoking shisha together - obtained from 25-year-old Kiad's Facebook page - was uploaded in July, 2013.

According to his Facebook profile, Kiad is from Kuwait and has been married since January 26, 2010. 

On Kiad's Flikr account, he posted images of the Opera House, luxury cars, waffles and Arabian horses. 

Neighbour Deresita Heisele-Brown said Omar al-utobi was friendlier than Mohammed Kiad who was 'shy' but both young men had become more withdrawn over the last month.

She said the boys rarely cooked - sometimes a barbecue - and ordered in pizza or Chinese and went out to meet friends or go to the mosque.

Photos from inside the flat where Mohammad Kiad, 25, and Omar al-Kutobi, 24, lived shows their home in a mess after it was raided by counter-terror police on Tuesday

Photos from inside the flat where Mohammad Kiad, 25, and Omar al-Kutobi, 24, lived shows their home in a mess after it was raided by counter-terror police on Tuesday

A neighbour said both men rarely cooked - sometimes a barbecue - and ordered in pizza or Chinese and went out to meet friends or go to the mosque

A neighbour said both men rarely cooked - sometimes a barbecue - and ordered in pizza or Chinese and went out to meet friends or go to the mosque

Kiad has reportedly lived in the flat for a year and al-Kutobi for up to three years

'They wore western clothes but sometimes head wear and Mohammed wears long white tunic, maybe for the mosque.'

She said both men went to Centrelink but were often short of money and couldn't pay rent to the owner of the house, Mr Huynh, who has a large property with a granny flat in which the two men lived, Kiad for a year and al-Kutobi for up to three years.

Kiad worked as a nurse in Kuwait but could not transfer his skills to Australia and about a month ago both men had got jobs as furniture removalists.

Another resident, Michael David, said Omar had got Australian citizenship in 2014, but Mohammad was not a citizen. 

The Fairfield granny flat of Mohammad Kiad and Omar al-Kutobi

The Fairfield granny flat of Mohammad Kiad and Omar al-Kutobi

A neighbour said both men went to Centrelink but were often short of money and couldn't pay rent to the owner

A neighbour said both men went to Centrelink but were often short of money and couldn't pay rent to the owner

Moldy Lebanese bread, boxes of energy cereal, an unused sink full of plastic-ware and barbecue trays and utensils were found inside the home.

Inside the squat two bedroom granny flat which the two alleged terrorists tented from their Vietnamese landlord, there are scenes which could depict the squalor of any twenty something bachelors.

A picnic table sits out the back by the rubbish bins.

A song book is propped on the sink near a toolbox on top of the unnused stove.

A box of Arabic green tea has been torn open in the kitchen.

An Islamic calendar still hangs on the wall in a back room by a pulled out drawer full of wires and leads. 

Neighbour Deresita Heisele-Brown said Mohammed Kiad was 'shy' but had become more withdrawn lately

Neighbour Deresita Heisele-Brown said Mohammed Kiad was 'shy' but had become more withdrawn lately

A home-made flag, representing the prescribed terrorist organisation Islamic State, was found at the flat, police said

A home-made flag, representing the prescribed terrorist organisation Islamic State, was found at the flat, police said

Outside the scenes from a police raid on a granny flat in Sydney's west, in which two men were arrested and charged with one count of 'do act in preparation/planning for terrorism act'

Outside the scenes from a police raid on a granny flat in Sydney's west, in which two men were arrested and charged with one count of 'do act in preparation/planning for terrorism act'

Neighbours Teresita Heisele-Brown and Michael David said Omar Al-Kutobi had changed his look after the police anti-terror raids in wesyern Sydney last September which resulted in the arrest of alleged terror plotter Omarjam Azari.

'He began wearing a scarf, just like ISIS and Mohammad, he grew a long beard,' Mr David said.

'I heard them praying in there [the granny flat] and reading the Koran,' said Mr David, who speaks Arabic.

Ms Jeisele-Brown said the pair had fallen out with another neighbour over the last month or two for 'speaking sharp' and that she had been upset with them after finding a religious picture of hers dumped in the rubbish bin.

'I had been in hospital having chemotherapy and when I came back home my picture of Jesus Christ was missing,' she said.

'I found it in the rubbish. I don't know who dumped it but I thought... I didn't say anything.'

Ms Heisele-Brown said Omar Al-Kutobi had been talking about going to Germany where his mother lived and had been waiting for his mother to send him money.

'He had no family here, but he said he could never go back to Iraq.'

She said she had noticed that after the Martin Place siege, the two men had had lengthy discussions in Arabic and had watched a lot of television, perhaps coverage of the a siege.

She said when the police came around to arrest the pair, Mohammad had pretended he didn't speak English.

She said detectives had made the men lie on the ground while they handcuffed them. 

NSW Police Deputy Commissioner Catherine Burn and Australian Federal Police Deputy Commissioner Michael Phelan said two men have been arrested on terrorism charges 

NSW Police Deputy Commissioner Catherine Burn and Australian Federal Police Deputy Commissioner Michael Phelan said two men have been arrested on terrorism charges 

Commonwealth DPP prosecutor Michael Allnutt told Magistrate Vivien Swain the matter should be adjourned until Thursday at Central Local Court in Sydney, when the men are expected to apply for bail.

'There is clear security issues, ' he said. The men had been charged with 'a very very serious offence', he added.

The defendants, who were housemates at the time of their arrest, have asked for an Arabic interpreter.

Authorities arrested the pair in Fairfield, western Sydney, on Tuesday, the same day they were allegedly planning to maim or kill someone in a knife attack.  

NSW Police Deputy Commissioner Catherine Burn said in a press conference on Wednesday two men, aged 24 and 25, have been charged with 'acts done in preparation, for, or planning terrorist acts'.

'We will be alleging that the two men were well advanced in their preparations,' Ms Burn said.

It will be alleged that the two were going to undertake an act of terrorism in Australia as revenge for incidents overseas. 

Crown prosecutor Michael Allnut leaves Fairfield Local Court in Sydney on Wednesday

Crown prosecutor Michael Allnut leaves Fairfield Local Court in Sydney on Wednesday

A machete, a hunting knife and an IS flag were seized along with other items in two terror related arrests

A machete, a hunting knife and an IS flag were seized along with other items in two terror related arrests

Searches were conducted at their residence, as well as on a car, and where the men work.

'A machete, a hunting knife, a home-made flag representing IS and also a video which depicted a man talking about carrying out an attack' were seized, Ms Burns said.

'We will allege both of these men were preparing to do this attack yesterday... it was imminent and we acted.' 

Commonwealth DPP prosecutor Michael Allnutt told Magistrate Vivien Swain he understood the men wanted bail.

In September last year, Prime Minister Tony Abbott revealed how a senior member of the Islamic State terror group had urged a network in Australia to carry out public beheadings. 

The latest plot is not thought to be related to a previous plan last year to behead someone in Martin Place, in Sydney's city centre.

Neither of the men were on NSW Police's radar until a member of the public tipped them off.

'The type of act is consistent with the messaging coming out of IS but we are of the view that there is no further imminent attacks planned,' Ms Burns said as she tried to reassure the public. 

AFP Deputy Commissioner, Michael Phelan, said the raids and arrests were an example of how authorities are having to be 'nimble to adjust to the threat'.

'We acted as soon as we possibly could,' he said.

NSW Police Deputy Commissioner Catherine Burn revealed details of the alleged terror plot which police foiled on Tuesday

NSW Police Deputy Commissioner Catherine Burn revealed details of the alleged terror plot which police foiled on Tuesday

Ms Burns continued: 'We don't know the exact nature of the target, who was intended, however we do need to be vigilante whether it is police, military or the general community.

'Everyone needs to remain alert.'

The raids, titled Operation 'CASTRUM', were led by NSW Police Force's Joint Counter Terrorism Team.

The men, aged 24 and 25 years old, were arrested yesterday at a house in Riverview Road at Fairfield, just after 4pm on Tuesday. 

Deputy Commissioner Burn strongly urged members of the public to continue to provide information when and where they see anything suspicious. 

More to come 

The raids were a joint operation between NSW Police and the Australian Federal Police 

The raids were a joint operation between NSW Police and the Australian Federal Police 

The two men were allegedly planning to maim or kill someone in a knife attack (stock police photo shown)

The two men were allegedly planning to maim or kill someone in a knife attack (stock police photo shown)

In Parliament, Prime Minister Tony Abbott announced that authorities had thwarted what would have been its third 'brush with terrorism' following the Melbourne incident in which two officers were stabbed in September and the Martin Place Lindt café siege in December.

'Police found a large ISIL or Daesh flag, a machete, a hunting knife and a video of a recording of one suspect kneeling in front of the ISIL flag with the two knives while making a statement in Arabic,' Mr Abbott said.

'This was an imminent attack in Australia inspired by the ISIL or Daesh death cult.'  

No comments have so far been submitted. Why not be the first to send us your thoughts, or debate this issue live on our message boards.

We are no longer accepting comments on this article.

Who is this week's top commenter? Find out now