Create a Simple WordPress Website
2 sessions from Sat Apr 11 10.00am-4.00pm until Apr 18
Location: CAE Building B - 253 Flinders Ln
Concession Fees: $274.00
SRZ42102 Create a Simple WordPress Website
With around 65% of websites in the world now using WordPress, this course helps you decide whether you want to host a free website at WordPress.com or create your own website that is under your control using WordPress.org on your own hosting account. You will understand the essentials so that you can either create your own website from scratch or employ a website designer and only pay for what you need.
Experienced trainer and business consultant Sue Ellson will cover:
1) Deciding on the purpose and content of your website (including competitor analysis)
2) Understanding the options for WordPress.com and WordPress.org
3) Registering a Domain Name and options for Website Hosting
4) Creating your Site Map and compiling your content offline
5) Compiling a Records List and Statistics Spreadsheet
6) How to select the right Theme (template)
7) Choosing essential Plugins (for search engine optimisation (SEO), backups, newsletter subscriptions)
8) Storing and Resizing Images (PC and Mac)
9) Creating Pages and Posts with Titles, Headings, Meta Description, Image, Intralinks, Backlinks, Calls to Action etc.
10) Understanding Privacy, Copyright and basic Do’s and Don’ts
• Gain an overall understanding of domain name and website hosting, and how a self-hosted website works
• Have the information necessary to register your own domain name and start creating your own website
• Have your general WordPress website and web hosting questions answered
• Participate in discussions on website ideas and options
There are no pre-requisites to attending although some practical work is carried out on computers and therefore a basic knowledge of operating a Windows or Apple based computer is recommended.
Who would find this course useful?
• Someone wanting to create and host their own WordPress website
• Someone wanting to engage a web designer and understand the basics of website design (not unlike speaking to a mechanic about your car needing repair and having no mechanical knowledge!) This class will help you understand the jargon and core aspects to website design, hosting and creation
• Someone with an existing WordPress website that wants to learn how to update the content on individual pages or posts in the future. (Please note that this does not include changing the design, content, functionality or hosting of an existing website)
** Please note - this is not a course for people who would like to login and review or modify an existing WordPress website. Live generic examples will be used in the class so that you can do some real time practice and implement what you have learned after the course.
What you should bring
Please bring along a pen and paper to the class,
CAE offers a wide range of Computer/IT and Business courses. Please refer to the CAE website for details http://www.cae.edu.au