Together Again: A Renaissance Mishneh Torah from the Vatican Library and The Israel Museum

May 21, 2015-September 20, 2015
Location: Judith and William Margulies Illuminating the Script Gallery
Curator: Daisy Raccah-Djivre and Anna Nizza Caplan
For the first time in Jerusalem, two volumes of a rare illuminated manuscript of the Mishneh Torah by Maimonides (1138–1204) are brought together for public display. Produced in Northern Italy around 1457, it is considered to be one of the most beautifully illuminated manuscripts of this work. Some 200 years ago the two volumes were separated: the first volume is now on loan from the Vatican Library in tribute to the Museum’s 50th anniversary year; the second was acquired by the Israel Museum jointly with the Metropolitan Museum of Art in 2013.

Detail from the opening page to the Book of Acquisitions

Mishneh Torah by Maimonides (Books 7–14)
Northern Italy, ca. 1457
Handwritten on vellum; ink, tempera, gold and silver leaf
Jointly owned by The Israel Museum, Jerusalem, and The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 2013. Purchased for the Israel Museum through the generosity of an anonymous donor; René and Susanne Braginsky, Zurich; Renée and Lester Crown, Chicago; Schusterman Foundation − Israel; and Judy and Michael Steinhardt, New York. Purchased for The Metropolitan Museum of Art with Director’s Funds and Judy and Michael Steinhardt Gift.
Photo© The Israel Museum, Jerusalem, by Ardon Bar-Hama