Monty: I won't row with Bjorn again

Last updated at 11:47 13 July 2004


Colin Montgomerie insisted there will be no 'needle' between him and Thomas Bjorn when they play their Open first round on Thursday, after the pair's well-documented spats on the golf course in the past.

At a press conference today, Montgomerie was asked about his relationship with the Dane, with whom he had an on-course dispute earlier in the year at the Johnnie Walker Classic in Bangkok.

Bjorn accused Montgomerie of standing in his eyeline on a bridge, while he was putting nearby.

This followed a previous incident in the Volvo Masters late in 2003 when Bjorn derided Montgomerie over an outburst at the Valderrama course in Spain.

Dinner companions

"I was at dinner with Thomas last night, for the enth time since we had our dispute in Bangkok and there have been no contradictions," said Montgomerie on Tuesday at Royal Troon.

"The story is for you (the press) to write about and for us to get on with our golf.

"There's far too much going on and we have to get on with our own games."

Montgomerie reckoned that his three-ball, with American Frank Lickliter making up the trio, will be a "quieter" affair than previous British Opens, even though he will have a large following at a course where he is a member and has played "hundreds and hundreds of rounds".

"It will be quieter. I have much less expectation," added the 41-year-old Scot who was one of the favourites the last time Troon hosted the major in 1997 but whose profile has dipped in recent years.

This will be his 15th consecutive appearance in the British Open, although he needed to qualify for the first time since 1989.

"I'm 80-1 (with the bookmakers). So were Greece (surprise Euro 2004 soccer champions)! That's interesting," said Montgomerie.

No comments have so far been submitted. Why not be the first to send us your thoughts, or debate this issue live on our message boards.

We are no longer accepting comments on this article.

Who is this week's top commenter? Find out now