Who's a lucky boy then?

Last updated at 13:56 19 October 2004

A parrot was said to be a "very lucky boy" today after receiving oxygen when he was saved from a burning flat.

The macaw, named Roger, and his owner Mark Cairns, 39, were both given a dose of the life-saving gas following the rescue in Edinburgh.

Lothian and Borders Fire Brigade were called to the council block in the Scottish capital at 5.35am yesterday.

The first-floor property at Magdalene Gardens in the Niddrie area filled with smoke after a pan on a kitchen stove caught light.

Twelve firefighters rescued Mr Cairns from the flat. He then alerted them to his pet bird, which was trapped in a cage inside.

The crew returned to the blazing property to save the bright blue and yellow parrot and noticed he looked sick, so gave him a puff of oxygen.

Mr Cairns also received oxygen from paramedics for smoke inhalation.

A brigade spokeswoman said: "It's very rare for an animal to receive oxygen from firefighters.

"I've certainly never heard of a parrot getting it, he's a very lucky boy."

Both the parrot and the owner have made a full recovery.