Three-year-old boy who was reported missing in New Jersey has been found dead three hours later in woods

• Brendan Creato was reported missing by his distraught father today at 6am
  • Police mounted a huge search for boy who disappeared from home last night
  • Three hours later the canine unit tracked down the body of the three-year-old
  • Investigators awaiting autopsy results but don't believe death is suspicious
  • So far no arrests have been made in connection with little boy's tragic death

A toddler who was reported missing from his New Jersey home has been found dead in nearby woods just three hours later.

Three-year-old Brendan Creato disappeared from his family's apartment in Cooper Street, Haddon Township, last night wearing only his pajamas, neon socks and Mickey Mouse slippers.

Police mounted a huge search effort to find the lost child after his distraught father filed a missing person's report at 6am this morning. 

Scroll down for video  

Three-year-old Brendan Creato disappeared from his family's apartment in Cooper Street, Haddon Township, last night wearing only his pajamas, neon socks and Mickey Mouse slippers

Three-year-old Brendan Creato disappeared from his family's apartment in Cooper Street, Haddon Township, last night wearing only his pajamas, neon socks and Mickey Mouse slippers

A toddler reported going missing from his New Jersey home has been found dead in nearby woods just three hours later

A toddler reported going missing from his New Jersey home has been found dead in nearby woods just three hours later

Residents, who were notified by a reverse 911 call, also launched their own search parties in the area. 

Just before 9am, police dogs were able to track down the boy to wooded area near South Park Drive - around a mile away from his house. Tragically it was too late, the child had already passed away, reported ABC Action News Philadelphia.

Investigators said they did not consider the boy's death to be suspicious. 

Officers cordoned off the area this morning as police gathered at the scene near the Cooper River. More than a dozen detectives could also be seen near the boy's home.

Brendan splits his time between his mother's and fathers homes who have shared custody.

The little boy was said to have spent Monday with his grandparents before he was dropped off at his dad's house at around 9.30pm. Shortly after that, he had disappeared. 

Jia Becker, a relative of Brendan's father, described Brendan as 'fun, he was a playful little boy. Energetic, always happy.'

Just before 9am, police dogs were able to track down the boy to wooded area near South Park Drive - around a mile away from his house

Just before 9am, police dogs were able to track down the boy to wooded area near South Park Drive - around a mile away from his house

Tragically the young boy had already passed away by the time that police tracked him down to the woods

Tragically the young boy had already passed away by the time that police tracked him down to the woods

Authorities say they will have more information when the receive the results of the autopsy. 

Andy McNeil, spokesman for the Camden County prosecutor's office, would not confirm if there were any clear signs of injury to the child and said it was currently 'a very ongoing and active investigation.'

'Sadly the boy was found deceased,' he told reporters. 'We are waiting the results of the autopsy to be conducted to determine the cause and manner of death. 

Camden County prosecutor and Haddon Township Police Chief confirmed that no arrests have been made.

The death has rocked the community of Haddon Township in south New Jersey with shocked neighbors seen hugging each other in the streets. 

A woman, who said the toddler was her nephew, was seen sobbing outside the boy's home which had been cordoned off by police, reported Philly.com

Haddon Township resident Seneid Jen O’Rourke Kennedy, who had helped with the search, said the family had been 'beside themselves'.

She said the boy's grandfather, who had also been out looking, said Brendan had gone missing between midnight at 6am. 

Sara Kopacz, 61, and her husband, Rich, who live in the neighborhood, said they had been praying for the Brendan's return.

Police mounted a huge search effort across Haddon Township to find the lost child who left his family home in 100 block of Cooper Street (pictured) last night wearing his pajamas and neon socks

Officers cordoned off the area this morning as police gathered at the scene near the Cooper River. More than a dozen detectives could also be seen near the boy's home

Officers cordoned off the area this morning as police gathered at the scene near the Cooper River. More than a dozen detectives could also be seen near the boy's home

Sara, who walked past Cooper Street this morning to see it buzzing with police, said: 'We were sort of praying that they would have found the boy,' Sara Kopacz said. 'I feel for his parents. I wouldn't want to be in that kind of situation myself.' 

Some residents searched their properties after receiving the call about the 3-year-old missing near Cooper Street and Virginia Avenue. The automated call from police and the school district, warned locals to check the barrels, bins and boxes stacked along the street for trash day.

Father-of-two Brian Hueber, 44, who lives a block away from the toddler's home, searched his garage and along the street after he was alerted by police.  

'We were all sick to our stomachs about it,' he told Philly.com. 

'I almost got out of the car and I'm so glad I didn't because I wouldn't be able to handle that mentally or emotionally,' nearby resident Courtney Doss told NJ.com.

Others questioned how a child so young could have walked almost a mile to the woods near the river by himself. 

The town's close-knit community will hold a vigil for Brendan at dusk on Tuesday near his home.

'I just felt this needs to be done,' said organizer Dave Wallace. 'I just hoped to reach enough people to let this family know we all care and have their back. We are all family in this town. We stick together.'

Kennedy added that despite the tragedy, she was proud of the community's response.

On her Facebook page, she said: 'So many people came out to search for the little boy. Everybody just individually looking through the neighborhood. I'm proud to live in this amazing town!!'

The comments below have been moderated in advance.

The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.

By posting your comment you agree to our house rules.

Who is this week's top commenter? Find out now