5 Seconds Of Summer drummer Ashton Irwin opens up about his battle with depression and anxiety

Ashton Irwin of 5 Seconds Of Summer fame has bravely opened up about his ongoing battle with depression.

Speaking to The Daily Telegraph about the Australian boy band's new album Sounds Good Feels Good, the 21-year-old drummer revealed he hit a low point five months into the group's last world tour.

Explaining how he turned to bandmate, lead vocalist Luke Hemmings for support, Ashton told the publication: 'I told Luke "I’m f***ing depressed, I f***ing hate this, we’ve been on tour for five months, I’m living out of this piece of s*** suitcase with only three wheels on it."' 

Scroll down for video 

Candid confession: Ashton Irwin of 5 Seconds Of Summer fame has bravely opened up about his battle with depression 

Candid confession: Ashton Irwin of 5 Seconds Of Summer fame has bravely opened up about his battle with depression 

This isn't the first time the curly-haired media personality has spoken about his mental health struggles.

In June he told The Sydney Morning Herald that he had 'dealt with anxiety and depression in my life'.

There's no doubt that Ashton, along with his bandmates Luke Hemmings, Calum Hood and Michael Clifford, strive to share a positive message with fans through both music and social media.

Taking to Twitter in August, Ashton tweeted: 'Some days your head will be a whirlpool of depression and anxiety! In those days you gotta breath and focus on everything great in life!' 

Boy band: Ashton, along with his bandmates Michael Clifford, Calum Hood and Luke Hemmings, strive to share a positive message with fans through both music and social media

Boy band: Ashton, along with his bandmates Michael Clifford, Calum Hood and Luke Hemmings, strive to share a positive message with fans through both music and social media

He followed up that message with another tweet reading: 'You aren't on your own! You can find the greatest things in life in the smallest and simplest things, you just gotta take a moment.' 

Meanwhile Ashton isn't the only member of 5SOS who has decided to be candid about his battle with mental health issues. 

During a concert on the band's Rock Out With Your Socks Out tour in August, guitarist Michael, 19, revealed to the crowd that he sees a therapist.

'I was fixing some problems with my mental health,' the star told the audience at the Michigan show, referring to how he spent his time during a recent break on the tour. 

Opening up: Taking to Twitter in August, the 21-year-old spoke about the 'whirlwind of depression and anxiety' he sometimes felt in his head 

Opening up: Taking to Twitter in August, the 21-year-old spoke about the 'whirlwind of depression and anxiety' he sometimes felt in his head 

Support: He informed his fans that things can get better after hitting a low point 

Support: He informed his fans that things can get better after hitting a low point 

'I just saw a therapist real quick on the break we had. Anyways, I'm going to shut up now. We're gonna play another song if it's OK?' 

There's no doubt his fans were right behind him, with the audience erupting into a supportive round of applause and cheers. 

And social media was swept with an overwhelming movement of support for the popular singer, with the hashtag #WeLoveYouMichael trending across the globe.

The band's new album Sounds Good Feels Good is set to be released on October 23.

There for each other: In August the band's guitarist Michael Clifford, front left, revealed he sees a therapist to help address his mental health issues  

There for each other: In August the band's guitarist Michael Clifford, front left, revealed he sees a therapist to help address his mental health issues  

The comments below have not been moderated.

The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.

By posting your comment you agree to our house rules.

Who is this week's top commenter? Find out now