'It's like a gun shot wound to the abdomen': Doctor warns against dangers of magnetic tongue 'piercings' after boy, 13, hospitalised 

Only two months after the government issued a warning about the dangers of magnetic ball bearings used as fake tongue piercings, a 13-year-old boy has been rushed to hospital after swallowing one.

A Brooklyn doctor is warning parents to watch out for the magnetic balls which more and more teens are increasingly using to mimic real piercings.

The small and powerful magnets stay connected to the tongue but in many cases, children have been hospitalised with holes in their stomachs and intestines after they mistakenly swallowed the magnets.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission warned the public Tuesday of high-powered magnets which, if swallowed, can rip through intestines and cause serious injury

Warning: The U.S. CPSC warned in November of the high-powered magnets which, if swallowed, can rip through intestines and cause serious injury

Dangerous toy: An X-ray shows the powerful magnets which left the son of a Colorado radio presenter with six holes in his intestines

Dangerous toy: A Colorado boy had five to six holes in his intestines and one hole in his stomach after swallowing a string of the magnets (seen right)

Swallowing the magnets can also cause blood poisoning or even death.

Doctors were trying to flush the magnets out of the Brooklyn boy’s body on Thursday night, said his pediatrician, Dr Anatoly Belilovsky, and they fear they may need to operate on him to remove them.

He told the New York Daily News: 'Somebody in school showed the magnets to him and he said "Oh, cool, can I have it?" He tried to put it on and he swallowed it.

'I hit the ceiling. I know how dangerous this is. If they had waited to get him treatment, it would have been almost the equivalent of a gunshot abdominal wound.'

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission released a warning in November about the dangers of the magnets.

The rings are cheap and easy to find, despite the government warning, with pairs selling for around $5 on websites.

At least 22 kids have swallowed magnets of all types in the past three years, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.

Executive toy: Buckyballs
Dangerous: Buckyballs

Warning:  The magnets are being used by teens as fake tongue rings, though they clearly state they can cause 'serious injury or death' if swallowed

Tonya Monteith, the mother of an 18-year-old Nevada boy, said she could tell something was wrong with her son Jericho, but neither she nor her doctors could immediately see what.

'They had attached themselves to each other through his intestines and everywhere that those magnets touched ate through his intestines'

Worried after four days of her son running a fever and vomiting, Ms Monteith raced him to an emergency room where an ultrasound pinpointed their problem.

'They came back and said he had three metal spheres in his lower right abdomen, and they asked if I knew what it was,' Ms Monteith told ABC News.

The magnets which belonged to Ms Montheith's 16-year-old nephew, 'had attached themselves to each other through his intestines', according to Ms Monteith, 'and everywhere that those magnets touched ate through his intestines.'

Doctors were forced to remove three inches of Jericho's small intestine, and six inches of his large.

He spent two weeks in an Intensive Care Unit.

Another boy in Colorado swallowed the magnets causing six holes in his small intestine.

His mother, Denise Plante, 39, warned listeners of her radio show to steer clear of the toys.

'He has five to six holes in his intestines and one hole in his stomach.

'He is on a feeding tube and having his stomach pumped 24/7,' she told her listeners.

Lucky to be alive: Lauren Garcia, 13, had to have surgery after she accidentally swallowed the magnetic ball bearings she used as a fake tongue piercing

Lucky to be alive: Lauren Garcia, 13, had to have surgery after she accidentally swallowed the magnetic ball bearings she used as a fake tongue piercing

Teenagers are also swallowing the magnets unintentionally while using them to resemble facial piercings such as on the tongue.

Lauren Garcia, 13, of Wheat Ridge Colorado said she nearly died after she used the magnets in that way.

Complaining she couldn't walk because of an intense pain in her side, Lauren called her mom in tears explaining that, 'they bounced off my tooth and went down my throat, and I couldn't stop it.'

'I could have died if I had waited to come to the hospital,' she told Fox31.

Dangerous trend: Lauren's CAT scan clearly shows the magnetic balls, which stuck to her small intestine and began burrowing through it

'I could have died': Lauren's CAT scan clearly shows the magnetic balls, which stuck to her small intestine and began burrowing through it

After surgery to remove the balls which were visibly burrowing holes into her intestines, she returned to school, though as punishment had to write an essay on her experience, to 'educate the school about what happened so hopefully this doesn't happen again,' according to her mother.

But for Jericho Monteith, who is now 28-months-old, the medical problems are far from over.

'There are some foods he will never be able to eat,' Jericho's mother said.

'He can’t have any fried foods. He can’t have whole milk, only two percent milk.'

And it isn't the end of the boy's surgeries as he has yet another planned to fix a hernia caused by the first.


The comments below have not been moderated.

The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.

We are no longer accepting comments on this article.

Who is this week's top commenter? Find out now