Group chat issue - I may have broken it

Welcome To get started please read our short introduction.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Group chat issue - I may have broken it

[ Edited ]

Hi, I use Skype version 7.7.0.103 for Windows Desktop, Windows 8, and am looking for help with a group chat issue.

I was participating in a group chat with >30 participants just fine for a few days, but I tried to send messages yesterday and I got a warning sign (yellow triangle with a black exclamation mark) next to my messages, and they weren't sending. My internet connection was fine so I assume it was a similar bug to the one a couple of years ago with the buffer symbol...

Anyway, I decided to take the matter into my own hands, after searching around I couldn't find a solution on the Skype community (I may have not searched hard enough but I didn't just glance). Instead I went to C:\Users\[my_name]\AppData\Roaming and deleted the Skype folder there, taking advice from here. I hoped this would solve the issue.

In a way it did, the warning signs had gone, but that's because my messages were no longer pending and had disappeared. Instead, the messaging box (where you type the message you want to send) is greyed out and it says "Messaging unavailable". Also, instead of the usual participants, it says "facebook:[username], ..." of the most recently added person, and then the elipsis, and is unexpandable. The conversation apparently only has one participant (the most recently added one), but I know it is working for others because I reinstalled Skype in an attempt to fix it, and I got a couple of messages from people in the conversation. I attempted to leave the conversation but whenever I click the leave conversation icon, nothing happens. I asked one of the conversation participants and they said I'm still listed as being in the group chat.

Is it possible for members of the group to kick others from the chat? If so I could request to be kicked and attempt to rejoin. Otherwise I'm not sure what to do about it. I feel kinda silly attempting to fix the original issue by deleting folders without knowing what I'm doing. I would very much appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

Jamurai
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 2 (1,260 Views)

Re: Group chat issue - I may have broken it

Hi. The page from which you took your advice is mine. I'm sorry that it didn't work for you, and that in fact it seems to have made things worse. I'll add a note to the page that this was your experience, and link to your post here to prove it. There really doesn't seem to be a perfectly reliable solution to this problem, although, speaking personally, I haven't experienced it in a long time, probably over a year.

lairdshaw
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 2 of 2 (1,077 Views)

© 2015 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling