A The Originals Community
Thursday 9:00 PM on The CW

The lovely people who organize the annual PaleyFest celebration couldn't decide which attractive vampire brothers to focus on, so instead of choosing between the Salvatores and the Mikaelsons, they chose to honor BOTH The Vampire Diaries and its spin-off The Originals with a combination event. There to discuss the latter were executive producer Julie Plec, co-executive producer Michael Narducci, and stars Claire Holt, Joseph Morgan, Daniel Gillies, Phoebe TonkinCharles Michael Davis, Leah Pipes, and Danielle Campbell.

On Claire Holt's decision to leave the series:

In case you haven't heard, Claire Holt's Rebekah left New Orleans in "Farewell to Storyville," which was also Holt's last appearance on The Originals as a series regular. But that doesn't mean it's the last we'll see of Rebekah, and it doesn't mean she was forced out either. "These incredibly talented writers did not run out of story," Holt assured us. "I wasn't pushed out, I didn't quit midseason. This was something we discussed from the start. I made a life choice and not a career choice." Holt will be spending time with her family for a little while and noted that the decision to leave was incredibly difficult, while also making sure to point out that she's viewing her exit as a temporary hiatus. When asked about the possibility of Rebekah appearing on The Vampire Diaries, Holt was keen on the idea. "There's a very handsome quarterback in Mystic Falls," she joked.

On The CW's Standards & Practices department:

The CW seems to follow some pretty weird guidelines regarding what it will show on television, because the network has no problem with mass-murdering teenagers, ripping heads off of good-looking men, or ripping hearts from chests, but one thing it won't allow on a show that airs at 8pm is thrusting. I guess you'll have to stick to fan fiction for those hot n' sexy thrusting scenes, guys.

On killing off characters:

Characters die so often on series like The Vampire Diaries and The Originals that sometimes, Julie Plec admitted, they forget to tell actors in advance that they're coming back. Danielle Campbell was busy filming when the script came out for the episode in which Davina dies, and had no idea she was being killed off. When she eventually found out, she freaked out and e-mailed Plec, who assured Campbell the death was just temporary. "When you forget [to tell them] it's really awkward," laughed Plec.

On Klaus and Elijah's arc this season:

"The redemption of Klaus and the undoing of Elijah seems to be where we’re creeping toward," said Daniel Gillies. And Klaus is very onboard with that: "He likes to see Elijah embrace the darker side," Joseph Morgan explained. But Plec also said that they have to find the line between "the guy who rips a heart out and and [the guy who] makes the heart sob," because having a villain who's bad just to be bad isn't their intention. "It's about exposing the layers of emotional weaknesses and desires," she said.

On the future of Klaroline:

In The Vampire Diaries' 100th episode, Klaus returned to Mystic Falls and engaged in a little of that aforementioned thrusting-without-showing-the-thrusting action with Caroline. But when asked about the future of their relationship, Morgan took on the heavy burden of killing dreams and breaking hearts. "In the beginning, I was in favor of the two characters because she opened up a side of Klaus we hadn't seen before. I was in favor of that vulnerability," explained Morgan. "[But] he can't find love because he just messes it up for himself." Morgan also said that although the characters traveled the road together, they've grown apart. "I am a fan of where that story has gone to now."

During The Vampire Diaries' panel, when the same question was asked, Plec admitted that if the characters were still on the same show, they might have had a brief moment of something, but that ship has sailed. "I feel like Caroline Forbes is such a crucial element... on The Vampire Diaries. Taking her off that show would be very damaging to the show." Plus, as Plec pointed out, Klaus is a little busy right now. "[He] has shit to do."

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 4/15/2016

Season 3 : Episode 18

Next Episode

AIRS ON 4/29/2016

Season 3 : Episode 19

27 Comments
Comments (27)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
The only characters on that show I care about are Klaus, Elijah and Marcel. I hope they create a bad ass villian that'll bring the three together again as friends. I don't think the conflict should always be between them. I liked Rebeccah, but I was never watching the show for her. I can't stand Hayley's treacherous ass. I can give or take Cami... mostly give.
Flag
Wow, Julie Plec is kind of a horrible, inconsiderate person: "Oopsies, you're only temporarily out of a job. Did I not mention that?"
Flag
Nah.. The hired help is just a bunch of drama queens ;)
Flag
I was disappointed that no questions were asked about what's going to happen in the rest of the season. Instead of asking Charles about what's in Marcel's future they asked him about auditioning for the character to begin with and the same with Leah - they asked her about her audition for the role initially instead of where her character is now or going - that was information that they had already been asked about back at Comic-Con so that part of felt very repetitive to me.

They also spent too much time talking about launching the spin-off to begin with and I was really irritated when they started talking about the spin-off focusing on The Original Family because it doesn't at all. We get way too much of Hayley, Marcel and Camille and not enough of the Originals. We almost never see the actual Original Family on the show - it's just Klaus and Elijah at this point. Rebekah is gone from the show so she's out. Mikael, Esther, Finn & Kol are hanging out on the Other Side so we don't get to see any of them either (aside from the Mikael flashbacks we just got). So I don't understand how they can even market the show as being about the Original Family. It's actually the same premise as TVD at this point - instead of Stefan/Damon/Elena we have Klaus/Elijah/Hayley which was one of my worst fears going into the show because I was afraid that might happen but then we were assured there would be no triangle but in the very first episode Elijah was already making moon-eyes at Hayley thus creating a triangle between two brothers and a girl.

I think Joseph is just sick of the Klaus/Caroline questions and that's totally understandable. There's nothing more for him to even say about it because he doesn't have any say in the matter and there's no new information to report since they're on different shows and not going to interact so the questions probably just get annoying and I'm sure he'd rather talk about what's happened with his character recently.
More+
Flag
That's a good point. An abusive monster like Mikael and a murderous witch who tries to kill all her children end up on the other side... But Katherine goes to hell?! WTF JULIE
Can we make that a thing?
#WTFJULIE
Flag
I agree with you but it's a business, it likes brings in more cash to focus its audience as a lowest common denominator rather than trying for some intellectual and emotional insights of the Originals considering their long life span. It's a pity really, there's so much potential there.
Flag
This panel was so much fun.They are so hilarious and down to earth in real life.I love them and I'm sticking with these shows
Flag
Any chance of Cami slinking off into the sunset after Rebekah? It's a travesty that she is still on the show, while the awesomeness that is Rebekah is gone. I also wouldnt mind a little more Hayley.
And definitely more Josh and Davina!
Flag
What Joseph Morgan said about Klaroline was basically that they aren't right for each other and it'd be a bad move to get them together because it would ruin their characters.That exactly what I've been saying since 2012!
Flag
Personally, I'm am glad Elijah is getting back into badass mode! Time after time, I'd just wish that he would take that white oak stake and give us all a nice LONG Klaus-vacation. Klaus is not a leader...he's barely a respectable villain.
Flag
Was there any mention of how many more times Klaus is going to let Marcel betray him, before he rips him a new one?
I don't understand why that guy is still alive.
And I can't believe another lead character can't be cast. His character is pretty weak.
Flag
I don't know Rebekkah was my favorite character in The Originals so unless the show does something amazing i might not keep watching
Flag
and by something amazing i mean bring Rebekah back :'(
Flag
the panel pretty much flat out said at some point she is coming back. It's why they went out of their way to say "temporary hiatus"
Flag
That made my day thank you very much i was thinking about quitting TVD too because of what happend to Kathrien but now i'll stick with both of them
Flag
Follow this Show
Members