Night Tube for London will FINALLY start running on August 19 as new mayor Sadiq Khan blasts Boris Johnson for 'constant delays' in his battle with the unions  

  • The Friday and Saturday night service starts on Central and Victoria lines 
  • Night Tube services will follow on Jubilee, Northern and Piccadilly later 
  • Mr Johnson was engaged in a lengthy union dispute that led to strikes 
  • London's Tube network was repeatedly paralysed by the continuing fight
  • A pay deal was struck in February and Mr Khan revealed the start today 
  • See more Sadiq Khan news as he confirms date for London's Night Tube 

London Mayor Sadiq Khan today announced the Friday and Saturday night services would finally begin on August 19 

London Mayor Sadiq Khan today announced the Friday and Saturday night services would finally begin on August 19 

The long-awaited Night Tube service in central London will finally begin on August 19 following a bitter battle between the unions and ex-mayor Boris Johnson.

Sadiq Khan, Mr Johnson's Labour replacement at City Hall, today announced the weekend service would initially launch on the Central and Victoria lines before being rolled out further in the autumn. 

Mr Johnson had wanted the night Tube to start last September but unions insisted their members were not being properly compensated for the anti-social hours and not enough staff would be working for safe running of trains.

Mr Khan slammed his predecessor's approach for triggering 'constant delays' that 'let Londoners down badly'. 

The controversial plans led to a series of tube strikes last year that left the network closed down and left the project mired in delays.

The RMT today warned some issues were still outstanding urged Transport for London to address the fears of engineering workers or face further industrial action.

Around 200 drivers are currently taking part in a new training programme to prepare for the new service.

Mr Khan today said: 'The Night Tube is absolutely vital to my plans to support and grow London's night-time economy - creating more jobs and opportunities for all Londoners.

'The constant delays under the previous mayor let Londoners down badly.

'I have made getting the Night Tube up and running a priority, and London Underground has now confirmed that services on the first two lines will launch on 19 August.'

RMT General secretary Mick Cash said: 'There are major unresolved issues in relation to the Tube Lines engineering workforce and it is imperative that the company now moves quickly to address the points at the core of that dispute.

'RMT also still has major concerns over the safe running of the Night Tube and there are unresolved issues on the detailed safety case that will have to be agreed through the health and safety machinery.'

London's Transport Commissioner, Mike Brown, said: 'It is good news for London that the first ever all-night Tube service will be ready on August 19.

'More than half a million people use the Tube after 10pm on Fridays and Saturdays, and the introduction of the Night Tube, which will support London's businesses and jobs, is a historic step in our modernisation of the Underground and our work to support London's economic growth.'

Following the start of Central and Victoria line services on August 19, night time service on the Jubilee, Northern and Piccadilly lines will follow in two separate phases later in the autumn. 

Mr Khan, pictured at the London Bridge Tube station on his first day as Mayor, today blamed Boris Johnson for delaying the Night Tube through his tactics for dealing with the unions 

Mr Khan, pictured at the London Bridge Tube station on his first day as Mayor, today blamed Boris Johnson for delaying the Night Tube through his tactics for dealing with the unions 

Last year, the RMT accused Mr Johnson of having 'botched' the project by rushing ahead last summer and announcing the plans before striking a deal with the unions.

The union accused Mr Johnson of failing to recognise the plans would leave weekend maintenance untenable and huge gaps in rotas.

In response, the then-mayor said London was a 24 hour city which needed around the long public transport to help keep workers moving. 

The dispute led to a series of 24 hour strikes that drew the London Underground to a halt.

A pay deal was struck in February this year after further talks averted a new strike in January.

The Central Line, pictured at Holborn Station, will be one of the first two lines to launch a night service from August 19 this summer 

The Central Line, pictured at Holborn Station, will be one of the first two lines to launch a night service from August 19 this summer 

 

The comments below have not been moderated.

The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.

By posting your comment you agree to our house rules.

Who is this week's top commenter? Find out now