- Skin Nails
- Advice Column
- Contact Me
To Bang Or Not To Bang?
Having trouble deciding whether or not to get bangs at your next hair appointment?
Youd be surprised at just how many women out there are pondering the question day and night like its life or death.
I consider bangs to be one of the most highly fretted choices that woman face in the salon.
Why, you say?
It sounds like a silly thing that hardly matters.but it does.
Should I get bangs?
Choosing to get bangs or not get bangs means several months of suffering while you wait for them to grow out. It means changing your entire look and not knowing whether you will like it or notthen being stuck with it for better or worse!
Thats why Im giving you the lowdown on bangs, and hopefully itll be a breeze!
Things to Consider
Before you go crazy thinking about bangs and clipping pictures out of magazines there are a few things you need to know. Your hair characteristics can tell you whether or not you should get bangs and what type of bang you should get.
I know that some of you may be thinking, Whats that got to do with it? I either cut them or I dont..while others are anxiously contemplating the decision.
Some of you are torn, nervous, and acting as if this will be one of the biggest decisions of your life.
If youre not a teenagertheres no excuse for getting dramatic about it!
Hair is not always as simple as you may think.
The texture of your hair, your cut, and those funny cowlicks can tell you a lot.
Is your hair curly, wavy, or straight?
Do you let it air dry or do you blow dry and flat iron?
All of these things can make a huge difference on which way you go with the bangs.
- Curly The curlier your hair is, the more weary you should be of getting bangs. If youre willing to straighten them everyday it might work out, if not you will look like a poodle. I feel that full bangs with curls just dont mix.why straighten only one part of your hairhello 7th grade!
- Wavy This type of hair is a little easier, you can straighten them if you want, or let them flow(I would only suggest a side bang here!).
- Straight Then we have straight hair.Im more fond of full bangs in this situation. If your hair is too straight side bangs may look awkward.
Sometimes we can work with a stubborn part line, sometimes we cant.
It all depends on how flexible your hair can be. Believe me, if you get the wrong bangs for your partyou will regret it!
- In the Middle -If you have a definitive middle partside bangs may be a difficult option. Your hair has been going the same way all its life, dont confuse it!
- No Part If you wear your hair on ONE side or the OTHER and change it with the windyou may want to skip the bangs. Go for a long side bang or nothing at all, they are more flexible and anything else will probably be a pain.
- Side Part If your hair is always parted on the same sideget the side bang! I love side bangs! The best part is youll barely notice it if you want to grow it out!
Everyone has them, but some of us are less fortunate than others. If you have a cowlick right smack in the middle of your front hairline please dont get full bangs! I cant even say how much this annoys me!
I learned this lesson in the 3rd grade and I cant stand seeing someone deciding its a good idea at 20! They will never lay straight and you will suffer while growing them out! Sometimes a cowlick like that can make side bangs look awesome, its what I stick with and it works.
Full Bang vs. Side Bang
The first question I always ask when someone is contemplating bangs is whether they want it to the side or full & straight across. Im often surprised because most people have no idea what they want.
I consider full and side bangs to be complete opposites.
I can usually look as someone and tell which one they would look best with, so there must be something to it!
We are all unique and what we want may not be what we need!
Hopefully after reading this section on the pros and cons to each type of bang you will know exactly what to go for!
- Require regular trims, usually every 3 to 4 weeks.
- Are much harder to grow out than side bangs.
- Will change your look more drastically than side bangs.
- Looks great with more simple, straight styles.
- Dont have to be trimmed as often, sometimes I go as long as a few months.
- Can be easily grown out if you decide you dont like them
- Will change your look slightly but sometimes a little goes a long way!
- Are easily incorporated into a wide variety of styles.
NEVER try to cut your own bangs!
Its not going to work.its just not.
Things to Remember
- If you cant stand hair around your face, bangs are probably a bad idea.
- If youre not willing to come in and get them trimmed regularly, full bangs may not be the best option. When people trim their own bangs it just doesnt work!
- If youre having a mini life crisis make the decision after your emotions have calmed down.breakup bangs or haircuts are usually an impulsive mistake!
As always, feel free to contact me via e-mail if you have any questions or just cant make the decision!
If you attach a photo I will gladly give you a mini consultation on whats best for you!
Check out these posts for more tips:
Salon Color or Box Color?Loading ...
Join the Community!
Summer Product FavoritesLoading ...
Tagsalterna bangs Beauty Color colorlines Conditioner cosmetology DIY formula giveaway hair haircolor haircolorist haircut Hairspray hairstylist howto infographic joico Julep julepmaven KENRA KENRAColor makeup mascara Matrix Moisturizer moroccanoil nailpolish nails ogle ogleschool Organic PaulMitchell products pureology Redken salon shampoo skin Skincare swatches Tigi treatment Wella