'This is where it ends': Mountain guide describes the terror of being thrown down a remote mountain in an AVALANCHE
- Jamie Hareb was caught in an avalanche while hiking in New Zealand
- He heard a crack before seeing a wave of snow heading towards him
- In just five second Mr Hareb was lifted off his feet and slammed into a rock
- After managing to jump out of the avalanche he set off his tracker beacon
- He was waiting for hours in his blood before a rescue helicopter arrived
- Mr Hareb broke his ankle and ruptured a ligament in his knee
A man had no choice but to sit and wait for hours as blood seeped out of the head-to-toe cuts covering his body after he was caught in an avalanche.
Jamie Hareb was hiking up a mountain in Landsborough Valley, west of New Zealand's South Island when he heard a crack.
He then noticed a large wave of snow and ice heading towards him after it separated from the mountain.
He recalled having just five seconds to run up the gully before he was whipped up by the avalanche and flung around, reported NZ Herald.
Jamie Hareb was hiking up a mountain gully in New Zealand's South Island when an avalanche he was caught in an avalanche
In moments he was lifted off his feet, spun and slammed into a rock.
'I don't remember being scared, it just happened so quickly,' Mr Hareb said.
Mr Hareb attempted to escape the avalanche by jumping to the side and holding onto a rock but it wasn't long before he was thrown back inside.
'You're thinking to yourself, "this could be it, this could be where it ends".'
Mr Hareb suffered cuts all over his body, he broke his ankle and ruptured a ligament in his knee
A avalanche survival course he had taken reminded him to try and stay afloat.
'As soon as you go under, there's a very small chance you'll come back up,' he said.
He eventually managed to jump out and set off his tracker beacon which alerted emergency crews.
After a few hours he was rescued by helicopter and taken to hospital where he was found to have broken his ankle and ruptured a ligament in his knee.
The young hiker was left waiting for hours in his own blood until a rescue helicopter was able to reach him
Most watched News videos
- Bulls head butt each other then die instantly from brutal blow
- CCTV captures final tragic moments of Mirna Salihin's life
- Funny Vine by Samuel Grubbs shows guy being brutally slapped
- Brutal moment two buffalo hit each other head-on at village party
- Soldiers attacked by knife wielding man at Israeli checkpoint
- Prisoner appears to headbutt guard moments before execution
- Is this proof that ballot boxes have been stuffed in elections?
- George Clooney is left shocked after finding out about Brangelina
- Teenager screams in agony as she is beaten by merciless gang
- Dashcam shows dramatic outside lane crash on M6 motorway
- Sickening footage shows ISIS shoot and behead 'spy' in Syria
- Shocking footage from 'mass brawl involving up to 100 youths'