'I am not meant for this business': Demi Lovato announces she's 'taking a break from music and the spotlight'
Demi Lovato has announced she is stepping out of the limelight next year.
The 24-year-old took to Twitter on Tuesday to reveal she would be 'taking a break from music and the spotlight'.
She shocked fans when she tweeted: 'So excited for 2017. Taking a break from music and the spotlight.. I am not meant for this business and the media.'
'Taking a break': Demi Lovato has announced she is taking some time off from 'music and the spotlight'
'It doesn't feel worth it anymore': The singer shocked fans when she announced the news on Twitter on Tuesday
Demi then explained her decision further in response to a tweet from a fan, writing: 'Dunno. It doesn't feel worth it anymore. I'd rather do charity work tbh.'
The announcement came just hours after the release of an interview in which she slammed Taylor Swift and her squad for 'tearing down' Katy Perry.
Speaking about the Bad Blood video to Glamour magazine, Demi said: 'I think that having a song and a video about tearing Katy Perry down, that's not women's empowerment.'
The former Disney star also criticised the video for giving young fans the wrong impression of what they should look like by only using women with seemingly perfect figures.
Not a fan: The announcement came just hours after the release of an interview in which she slammed Taylor Swift and her squad for 'tearing down' Katy Perry
Demi, who promotes a positive body image after suffering from an eating disorder, said: 'This will probably get me in trouble, but I don't see anybody in any sort of squad that has a normal body. It's kind of this false image of what people should look like.'
The singer has since defended her comments on social media, stating that while they can be 'taken out of context', she is 'not apologizing'.
'I get asked questions. I answer them. Sue me,' she tweeted. 'Also don't forget that words can be taken out of context when doing interviews.. still not apologizing for saying what everyone want to say.'
Standing by her comments: Demi later said on Twitter that she was 'not apologizing'
Firing back: It seems the 24-year-old was receiving negative comments on social media
Demi, who released her latest single Body Say in July, added: 'I don't understand why people care so much about what I say in interviews? Do y'all watch the news? Don't y'all got s*** to worry about?'
It seems the Camp Rock star is planning to take some time off following the end of her Future Now Tour with Nick Jonas, which kicked off in June and currently has six dates left.
Demi and Nick have three concerts in Mexico later this month, and will then perform in São Paulo and on a Caribbean cruise in December.
The duo will finish up their tour at the beginning of February with a performance in Dubai.
It's been a busy year: Demi, seen in LA last week, is currently on her Future Now Tour with Nick Jonas
Most watched News videos
- Bulls head butt each other then die instantly from brutal blow
- CCTV captures final tragic moments of Mirna Salihin's life
- Funny Vine by Samuel Grubbs shows guy being brutally slapped
- Brutal moment two buffalo hit each other head-on at village party
- Soldiers attacked by knife wielding man at Israeli checkpoint
- Prisoner appears to headbutt guard moments before execution
- Is this proof that ballot boxes have been stuffed in elections?
- George Clooney is left shocked after finding out about Brangelina
- Teenager screams in agony as she is beaten by merciless gang
- Dashcam shows dramatic outside lane crash on M6 motorway
- Sickening footage shows ISIS shoot and behead 'spy' in Syria
- Shocking footage from 'mass brawl involving up to 100 youths'