Jewellery 'worth £1million was stolen during a break-in at Simon Cowell's £10million west London mansion while the music mogul and his family slept'
- Music mogul's home was broken into last December as he slept upstairs
- Daniel February, 32, appeared in court today accused of burglary
- £1m of jewellery, watches and two passports were taken in the raid
- Cowell has stepped up security since the raid, which 'creeps him out'
Simon Cowell earlier this year. A man has been charged with breaking into his home last December
A man has appeared in court accused of breaking into music mogul Simon Cowell's £10million home and stealing £1million of jewellery.
Darren February, 32, was charged with burglary following the incident Cowell's mansion in Holland Park, west London on December 4 last year.
He only spoke only to confirm his personal details as he appeared in the dock at Hammersmith Magistrates' Court, west London, today.
The X-Factor judge was asleep upstairs with his partner Lauren Silverman and their young son Eric when an intruder broke into their home.
Prosecutor Kevin Christie said jewellery belonging to Ms Silverman, with an estimated value of £1million.
Watches and two passports, belonging to Cowell, were also taken from a safe. The passports were later recovered.
Mr Christie told the court: 'A burglary took place at a dwelling at approximately 1:20am in the morning on Friday December 4th last year.
'The property owner Mr Simon Cowell was asleep in the master bedroom on the first floor with his partner Lauren Silverman.
'Also in the property was their son, a nanny and a security guard.
'In the safe was jewellery belonging to Lauren Silverman with an estimated value of over £1million.
'Also in the safe were two passports belonging to Mr Cowell with some watches.'
February indicated no plea as he appeared in the dock wearing a striped short-sleeve shirt,
Mr Christie told the court the CPS had CCTV footage from the house which a police officer had used to identify February.
He added that a glove found near the scene carried DNA evidence which matched February.
There was a break in at the music mogul's home in December last year while he, his partner and their son slept upstairs
The prosecutor said: 'One of the passports was recovered approximate to the home and a second passport was located later on.
'Some of the property was recovered in a bag.'
Peter McGovern, defending February, told the court the prosecution's case was not as strong as made out by Mr Christie and that there were three other suspects.
Cowell said following the burglary that knowing the intruder had passed just 'three feet' from where he lay asleep 'creeps' him out.
Speaking about the raid last December, Cowell said: 'He got up to the first floor and there were two doors, one to my bedroom and one to my bathroom, which leads to a dressing room where the safe was.
'So he could have walked into my bedroom. Instead, he chose the other so he went through the bathroom. I think he had inside knowledge, definitely.'
Cowell said at the time that jewellery belonging to his partner Lauren Silverman was stolen
Commenting on the night of the raid, Cowell said: 'I went to bed early that night. I'm normally up quite late.' His three Yorkshire Terriers had been with him.
Of the items stolen - said to include jewellery and cash - he added: 'It was mainly Lauren's stuff. The first thing you think about is, 'OK, that's insured so it's not the end of the world'.
'It's just the feeling of that invasion, that someone was three feet away from you. It kind of creeps you out a bit.'
Cowell has since stepped up security, saying: 'It's a wake-up call. I've changed lots of things to make it harder to get into.
'This is happening hundreds of times a day across the country, I'm not the only one. Most people, like me, think, 'At least no one got hurt.''
February, of no fixed address, was ordered to next appear at Isleworth Crown Court on November 2.
Most watched News videos
- CCTV captures final tragic moments of Mirna Salihin's life
- Mother shaves daughters hair after she 'bullies cancer girl'
- GRAPHIC CONTENT: 'Ghost' rises from body after fatal crash
- Bulls head butt each other then die instantly from brutal blow
- Shocking moment girl gets viciously beaten after starting fight
- Mother releases devastating footage of son's final moments
- Lorry smashes into car leaving driver with severe injuries
- Is this the creepy moment the corpse of a girl OPENS her eyes?
- 'Big fat gypsy wedding' in Romania goes on for FOUR days
- Groom ALREADY tired of marriage life just after 15 minutes
- 'Pascal's a G!' Kim Kardashian speaks well of her bodyguard
- GoPro captures the moment a croc swims amongst swimmers
Sorry we are not currently accepting comments on this article.