A fairytale in the making! Disney in talks with Hairspray director Adam Shankman to helm Enchanted sequel
The original film was a surprise hit that catapulted Amy Adams to stardom when it came out in 2007.
And it seems a sequel for fairy tale musical comedy Enchanted is finally in the works at Disney, with a new director eyed for the project.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, The Pacifer and Hairspray director Adam Shankman, 51, is currently in negotiations to direct the much-anticipated sequel.
Scroll down for video
Good news! It seems like the sequel to Enchanted is finally back on track, as it was announced on Thursday that Hairspray director Adam Shankman is in talks to helm a follow-up
Amy, who starred as Princess Giselle in the first installment, is also said to be on board for the sequel.
It remains to be seen if Patrick Dempsey, who played her 'prince' in the original, will sign on for the new picture.
Sources also revealed that Disney is aiming to get the fantasy film into theaters for this summer.
Dubbed 'Disenchanted,' the sequel will likely pick up ten years after the original, and see Princess Giselle questioning if she's truly living happily ever after.
Not quite sealed up: It remains to be seen if Patrick Dempsey, who played Giselle's 'prince' in the original, will sign on for the new picture
The original movie followed Giselle, the prototypical Disney fairy tale princess, as she is magically extracted from an animated world and thrust into real-world New York City.
Audiences loved the concept, and rewarded the film with over $340 million in worldwide box office.
Disney has reportedly been developing the sequel since 2010.
Charmed: The Pacifer and Hairspray director Adam Shankman, 51, is currently in negotiations to direct the much-anticipated sequel, which Disney has dubbed 'Disenchanted'
Musical: Amy played Princess Giselle, a fairytale princess who finds herself transported to real-life New York City
Meanwhile, in-demand actress Amy has been extremely busy with multiple projects.
She recently started filming Justice League, in which she is reprising her role as Lois Lane and can next be seen in alien drama Arrival, which hits cinemas on November 11 and also stars Jeremy Renner and Forest Whitaker.
Amy is then starring alongside Jake Gyllenhaal, Michael Shannon, Isla Fisher, Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Armie Hammer in Nocturnal Animals.
The movie, which is due for release on December 9, follows a gallery owner who is haunted by her ex-husband's thriller novel.
The five-time Oscar nominee is also working on upcoming thriller series Sharp Objects, due to premiere next year, in which she portrays a reporter who recently checked out of a psychiatric hospital.
A star is born: Amy at the premiere of Enchanted in New York back in 2007. The Disney hit was her breakout role
Most watched News videos
- CCTV captures final tragic moments of Mirna Salihin's life
- Mother shaves daughters hair after she 'bullies cancer girl'
- GRAPHIC CONTENT: 'Ghost' rises from body after fatal crash
- Bulls head butt each other then die instantly from brutal blow
- Shocking moment girl gets viciously beaten after starting fight
- Mother releases devastating footage of son's final moments
- Lorry smashes into car leaving driver with severe injuries
- Is this the creepy moment the corpse of a girl OPENS her eyes?
- 'Big fat gypsy wedding' in Romania goes on for FOUR days
- Groom ALREADY tired of marriage life just after 15 minutes
- 'Pascal's a G!' Kim Kardashian speaks well of her bodyguard
- GoPro captures the moment a croc swims amongst swimmers