Young footballer, 15, with 'mesmerising skills' is knocked off his bike and killed by BMW in hit-and-run as police arrest 42-year-old man on suspicion of drink-driving
- Dylan Crossley was cycling in Whitestake, Lancashire, when hit by a BMW
- Described as a talented footballer, who represented local team 100 times
- Penwortham St Teresa's FC said Dylan 'represented the club with pride'
Dylan Crossey died after being knocked off his bike in a hit-and-run collision
Tributes have been paid to a teenage footballer with 'mesmerising skills' who was killed in a suspected drink-driving incident which police described as a hit-and-run.
Dylan Crossey, 15, was cycling along Chainhouse Lane in Whitestake, Lancashire, when he was in collision with a silver 3 Series BMW.
He was taken to the Royal Preston Hospital with serious head injuries before being transferred to Manchester Children's Hospital, where he died.
Police said the driver of the car did not stop after the crash which took place at around 11pm on Friday.
Dylan was a described as a talented and proud footballer, who represented his local team almost 100 times.
Penwortham St Teresa's FC said in an online statement: 'The club was saddened to learn of the passing of U16s player Dylan Crossey this morning.
'Dylan made close to 100 appearances in a yellow shirt, playing a sport he loved so dearly and always represented the club with pride.
'The thoughts and prayers of everyone at Penwortham St Teresa's JFC are with Dylan's family and friends at this sad time. Tomorrow's U16 and U18 fixtures have been cancelled, whilst all remaining fixtures will hold a pre-match minute's applause.'
Rival side Longridge Town Juniors posted: 'Everyone at Longridge town juniors would like to pass on their condolences to the teams and family of Dylan Crossey.
'Dylan died last night in a tragic hit and run. He was 15.
'Dylan played for Penwortham St Teresa's and more recently Cadley.
The boy, from Penwortham, Lancashire, suffered serious head injuries and was taken to Royal Preston Hospital before he was transferred to Manchester Children's Hospital
'A very talented striker with silky, mesmerising skills, very often tying knots in our defence.
'When we get news like this it hits us all in junior football. Hurts us all in our football community. Rest in peace Dylan.'
A 42-year-old man from New Longton was arrested on Saturday on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving and drink-driving. He remains in custody.
Police recovered a silver BMW 3 Series from an address in New Longton and are appealing for anyone who saw the vehicle in the area to come forward.
Chief Inspector Mike Adamson said: 'Dylan has very sadly died as a result of the injuries he sustained in this collision and we are continuing our investigation into this tragic incident.
'We would appeal to anyone who may have witnessed the incident, or who may have seen a silver BMW 3 Series in the area around the time of the collision to contact us.
'Similarly, if you have any other information that could assist with our ongoing investigation, I would urge you to get in touch with us as soon as possible.'
Anyone with information can call Lancashire Police on 101 quoting log number 1316 of October 7.
The 15-year-old was also into his football. His friends have paid tribute to him on social media
His death has led to tributes flooding in from his friends.
Dion Holden posted: 'I love you little man never forget that always got a big place in my heart for yous.'
Alexandra Lynch said: 'Rest in peace. Forever in our thoughts and hearts. You will be missed greatly.'
Isabelle Price added: 'Rest easy dyl. Replay the memories of us all up there. heavens gained another angel.'
Most watched News videos
- CCTV captures final tragic moments of Mirna Salihin's life
- Mother shaves daughters hair after she 'bullies cancer girl'
- GRAPHIC CONTENT: 'Ghost' rises from body after fatal crash
- Bulls head butt each other then die instantly from brutal blow
- Shocking moment girl gets viciously beaten after starting fight
- Mother releases devastating footage of son's final moments
- Lorry smashes into car leaving driver with severe injuries
- Is this the creepy moment the corpse of a girl OPENS her eyes?
- 'Big fat gypsy wedding' in Romania goes on for FOUR days
- Groom ALREADY tired of marriage life just after 15 minutes
- 'Pascal's a G!' Kim Kardashian speaks well of her bodyguard
- GoPro captures the moment a croc swims amongst swimmers
Sorry we are not currently accepting comments on this article.