The GOP in crisis: John McCain is the highest-profile Republican to withdraw his support from Trump - as 73 others back away from endorsing The Donald and condemn his misogynistic remarks
- Senator John McCain disavowed the Republican nominee on Saturday
- Trump has been attacked or lost the support of 73 senior Republicans
- Was caught in video released Friday making lewd comments about women
- Said it was possible to 'do anything' to women as long as one was 'a star'
John McCain has become the highest-profile Republican to disavow Donald Trump due to his abhorrent comments about women.
The Arizona senator said on Saturday that it was 'impossible' to continue supporting the GOP nominee.
Trump has been attacked or lost the support of 73 prominent Republicans so far.
This was in direct response to a video published on Friday that featured him saying on a hot mic that it was possible for stars to do 'anything' to women, including grabbing them 'by the p***y'.
'I have wanted to support the candidate our party nominated,' McCain said in a statement Saturday.
'But Donald Trump's behavior this week, concluding with the disclosure of his demeaning comments about women and his boasts about sexual assaults, make it impossible to continue to offer even conditional support for his candidacy.'
McCain said he and his wife would instead 'write in the name of some good conservative Republican who is qualified to be president'.
Scroll down for video
Senator John McCain (pictured last month next to Ted Cruz) withdrew his support from Donald Trump on Saturday and slammed the GOP nominee's 'boasts about sexual assaults'
A video published by the Washington Post on Friday featured Trump talking on a hot mic with Billy Bush in 2005.
Trump was on his way to film a cameo on Days Of Our Lives. After spotting actress Arianne Zucker, who was going to escort him onto the set, he said: 'I've got to use some Tic Tacs, just in case I start kissing her.
'You know I'm automatically attracted to beautiful — I just start kissing them. It's like a magnet. Just kiss. I don't even wait.'
Trump added: 'And when you're a star, they let you do it. You can do anything.
'Grab them by the p---y. You can do anything.'
Dozens of Republican senators, governors and representatives have bashed Trump's comments over the past 24 hours.
Trump (pictured on Saturday stepping out of his namesake Manhattan tower) was caught on video saying stars could do 'anything' to women, including grabbing them 'by the p***y'
At least 24 have called for him to drop out of the presidential race.
Trump's own running mate Mike Pence said: 'As a husband and father, I was offended by the words and actions described by Donald Trump in the eleven-year-old video released yesterday.
'I do not condone his remarks and cannot defend them. I am grateful that he has expressed remorse and apologized to the American people.'
Referring to Sunday's presidential debate, Pence added: 'We pray for his family and look forward to the opportunity he has to show what is in his heart when the goes before the nation tomorrow night.'
Speaker of the house Paul Ryan said he was sickened by Trump's comments and declined to have him campaign at his side in Wisconsin on Saturday.
'I am sickened by what I heard today. Women are to be championed and revered, not objectified,' Ryan said.
'I hope Mr Trump treats this situation with the seriousness it deserves and works to demonstrate to the country that he has greater respect for women than this clip suggests.'
Even Trump's wife Melania called his comments 'unacceptable and offensive'.
Trump, who was seen stepping out of his Manhattan tower on Saturday evening, has pledged not to drop out of the presidential race.
Most watched News videos
- CCTV captures final tragic moments of Mirna Salihin's life
- Mother shaves daughters hair after she 'bullies cancer girl'
- GRAPHIC CONTENT: 'Ghost' rises from body after fatal crash
- Bulls head butt each other then die instantly from brutal blow
- Shocking moment girl gets viciously beaten after starting fight
- Mother releases devastating footage of son's final moments
- Lorry smashes into car leaving driver with severe injuries
- Is this the creepy moment the corpse of a girl OPENS her eyes?
- 'Big fat gypsy wedding' in Romania goes on for FOUR days
- Groom ALREADY tired of marriage life just after 15 minutes
- 'Pascal's a G!' Kim Kardashian speaks well of her bodyguard
- GoPro captures the moment a croc swims amongst swimmers