People think I’m mad! Britain's most prolific surrogate mother defies doctors as she prepares for her SIXTEENTH child - just days before she turns 50
- Carole Horlock was warned she could die if she has more children
- She said she would not have any more but has now changed her mind
- The 49-year-old has had two of her own and given 13 to couples in need
- She's gone to Greece to have two embryos implanted for a British couple
Britian's most prolific surrogate mother has defied doctor's orders by announcing plans to have her 16th and 17th children on the week that she turns 50.
Carole Horlock was told by medical experts that she was was at high risk of complications and that she needed to stop for the sake of her health, after losing last the child she attempted to have.
However, she has now done a u-turn and travelled to Greece to have two embryos implanted in her because she was not allowed to have the procedures in Britain.
She and the couple she is trying to help, who are based in the north of England, will find out next week if the procedure has been successful.
Carole Horlock, 49, from Colchester, Essex, has backtracked on her decision to give up her surrogacy 'career' after 13 babies
Baby number one - Carole became pregnant with her first surrogate child in December 1995
Double trouble: Numbers two and three arrive soon after in the form of these twin girls in 1997
The fact that she has had more than ten children increases the risks of pre-eclampsia, haemorrhage and other complications.
'Doctors in the UK have told me I shouldn't get pregnant again as I'm risking my life,' she told The Mirror.
She added: 'People may ask why I’m putting myself through this, and assume I’m mad to enjoy pregnancy and giving birth, but I do. Others think I’m evil for giving away babies.
'But I think people are mad who do bungee jumps or tombstoning from cliffs.
'To me, what could be more wonderful than bringing a much-wanted and much-loved baby into this world?'
Baby number four (left) was born in, followed by baby number five (right) in July 1999
Babies number seven (left), a boy, cries as and number eight (right), Maria, looks a lot more relaxed after her birth in 2002
Carole is pictured here with baby number nine, Daniel, in 2004. She went on to have another six
Carole, who lives in Colchester, Essex, with her partner of 16 years, Paul, has two daughters of her own, Steffanie, 24, and Megan, 21, and has given birth to 13 other children as a surrogate mother – including a set of twins and a set of triplets.
She last gave birth in April 2013 – to a boy weighing 9lb 14oz.
It is just over 20 years since she became pregnant with her first child for another couple after reading a newspaper article about surrogacy.
She went on to have twins in February 1997, triplets in March 2008 and other babies in March 1998, July 1999, October 2000, January 2002, April 2003, June 2004 and April 2013.
For each pregnancy, she was paid expenses of between £7,000 and £15,000.
Miss Horlock pictured with her daughter, Megan, 21. She says having babies is 'addictive'
During her last pregnancy she appeared on This Morning to say that she felt confident, even though her previous childbirth experience in April 2013, had been 'horrendous'.
A natural labour proved impossible and her life was saved by having a C-section and the doctors' ability to bring her sky high blood pressure back under control.
After the experience, doctors advised her not to get pregnant again. But Carole said she wanted to help one more infertile couple start a family and end her surrogacy journey 'on a high'.
The first nine surrogate babies were created using her own eggs and the last five via donated ones. Women can't be paid to be surrogates but can be given expenses and compensation up to £15,000 - but Carole said she's never been motivated by financial gain and would still have had all 14 if she was a lottery winner.
She had her own daughters in 1991 and 1994 and then had her first surrogate baby in 1995.
Most watched News videos
- CCTV captures final tragic moments of Mirna Salihin's life
- Mother shaves daughters hair after she 'bullies cancer girl'
- GRAPHIC CONTENT: 'Ghost' rises from body after fatal crash
- Bulls head butt each other then die instantly from brutal blow
- Shocking moment girl gets viciously beaten after starting fight
- Mother releases devastating footage of son's final moments
- Lorry smashes into car leaving driver with severe injuries
- Is this the creepy moment the corpse of a girl OPENS her eyes?
- 'Big fat gypsy wedding' in Romania goes on for FOUR days
- Groom ALREADY tired of marriage life just after 15 minutes
- 'Pascal's a G!' Kim Kardashian speaks well of her bodyguard
- GoPro captures the moment a croc swims amongst swimmers