Girl, 2, dies after she was left in a hot car for 9 HOURS by mother who 'forgot she was strapped into the back seat' when she went to work
- The girl was found strapped in a child seat in the back of a Chevrolet
- Mom drove to parking lot of a medical center in Salisbury, North Carolina
- Authorities believe the girl was in the car for nine hours before she was spotted by a passer-by
- First responders broke the windows and tried to resuscitate the girl
- But the efforts were in vain, and she was pronounced dead at the scene
- Police are now considering whether to file charges against the mother
A two-year-old girl who was left in a hot car for almost nine hours by her mother as she went to work at a North Carolina VA Medical Center has died.
Authorities are now trying to determine whether to file charges against the mother, according to The Salisbury Post.
The woman, who has not been named drove to work with the child strapped in the backseat.
She arrived at the hospital just before 8am on Thursday.
The child was discovered in the black Chevrolet by a passer-by at around 4:40pm, while the windows were rolled up.
Investigators examine the black Chevrolet in which a two-year-old girl was found dead after being left there in the parking lot of a VA medical center in Salisbury, North Carolina
First responders called to the scene broke one of the windows of the car in a bid to save the child.
They attempted to resuscitate the girl, but to no avail. She was pronounced dead at the scene.
Scroll down for video
The temperature that day ranged from the mid-70s to the low 80s, meaning that the inside of a vehicle could reach in excess of 120 degrees.
Investigators are now interviewing the family and collecting information from hospital officials.
'Parents out there, check your vehicle,' Salisbury Police Captain Sheila Lingle told WSOC-TV.
'Check the back seat if you have a child before you get out of the car.'
The mother of the girl drove to the VA medical center (seen above) where she works and left her in the car just before 8am on Thursday
North Carolina authorities are now interviewing family members and hospital employees to determine whether to bring criminal charges against the mother
Most watched News videos
- CCTV captures final tragic moments of Mirna Salihin's life
- Mother shaves daughters hair after she 'bullies cancer girl'
- GRAPHIC CONTENT: 'Ghost' rises from body after fatal crash
- Bulls head butt each other then die instantly from brutal blow
- Shocking moment girl gets viciously beaten after starting fight
- Mother releases devastating footage of son's final moments
- Lorry smashes into car leaving driver with severe injuries
- Is this the creepy moment the corpse of a girl OPENS her eyes?
- 'Big fat gypsy wedding' in Romania goes on for FOUR days
- Groom ALREADY tired of marriage life just after 15 minutes
- 'Pascal's a G!' Kim Kardashian speaks well of her bodyguard
- GoPro captures the moment a croc swims amongst swimmers