Lionel Messi takes his family to the movies while sidelined for Barcelona and Argentina with groin injury
- Argentina face 2018 World Cup qualifiers against Peru and Paraguay
- Lionel Messi retired from international before announcing his return
- The Barcelona superstar is currently sidelined with a groin injury
- Partner Antonella Roccuzzo shared picture of family at the cinema
Lionel Messi made the most of missing Argentina's 2018 World Cup qualifying fixtures by taking his family out to the cinema instead.
The Barcelona superstar retired from international football this summer following Argentina's third consecutive final loss before backtracking in August and announcing his decision to return to the international fold.
However, the Albiceleste will be without their talisman for the World Cup qualifiers against Peru and Paraguay as Messi recovers from a groin injury he suffered playing against Atletico Madrid last month.
Lionel Messi takes a trip to the cinema with partner Antonella Roccuzzo (left) and son Thiago
Argentina coach Edgardo Bauza watches his players - but Messi will miss World Cup qualifiers with Peru and Paraguay with a groin injury
Messi has not played since picking up the injury against Atletico Madrid on September 21
The 29 year-old took the opportunity to relax with his family as he concentrates on making a return for both club and country - with his long-term partner Antonella Roccuzzo sharing an Instagram picture of them, including young son Thiago, from what appears to be an empty cinema.
Without Messi, Barcelona have sunk to fourth in La Liga following a shock 4-3 loss away to Celta Vigo.
As for Argentina, they too struggled in their last game without their all-time top scorer. Edgardo Bauza's side could only manage a 2-2 draw with Venezuela after 90 minutes, having initially gone 2-0 down.
Argentina currently sit in third place in the South American World Cup qualifying table equal on points with second place Brazil and one point behind Uruguay who take the top spot.
The 29-year-old retired from international football before backtracking in August
Manchester City's Sergio Aguero is likely to lead Argentina's attack in Messi's absence
Most watched Sport videos
- Arturo Vidal scores impossible goal during training
- Bradford goalkeeper Colin Doyle substituted after three minutes
- Sky Sports viewer captures moment Klopp told off for swearing
- 'New Messi?': Celtic youth's 12 year old Karamoko Dembele
- Karamoko Dembele in action at the St Kevin's Boys Academy Cup 2016
- Arturo Vidal scores a brace for Chile during Copa America
- Jesse Lingard welcomes Paul Pogba to Manchester United
- Pep Guardiola speaks post match after Man City Spurs loss
- Pep Guardiola says Toure won't play until agent apologises
- Where's Spurs? Klopp has a map of the English clubs in his office
- Hilarious moment Jesse Lingard nearly breaks golf club
- Clashes erupt among fans after West Ham clash with Middlesbrough
The comments below have not been moderated.
The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.
We are no longer accepting comments on this article.