Gunman shoots dead man, 21, and wounds eight after opening fire at party in Michigan

•  Juwan Boykin was gunned down at a party held at a Clearance Outlet store in Grand Rapids, Michigan on Sunday morning
  • Eight other revelers, aged between 19 and 35, were also shot but survived
  • Police are still hunting the unknown shooter and are investigating the motives behind the murder
  • Store manager had granted an employee permission to hold the birthday party at the store

A gunman shot dead one man, 21, and injured eight after opening fire at a Michigan party.

Juwan Boykin was gunned down by the unknown shooter in the early hours of Sunday at the party held at a Clearance Outlet store on 28th Street near Kalamazoo Avenue in Grand Rapids.

Eight other revelers, aged between 19 and 35, were also hurt in the blaze of bullets. All are expected to survive.

Juwan Boykin was gunned down by the unknown shooter in the early hours of Sunday
Juwan Boykin was gunned down by the unknown shooter in the early hours of Sunday

Juwan Boykin (left and right) was gunned down by the unknown shooter in the early hours of Sunday

Police are still hunting the shooter. 

Officers, who had responded to reports of gunshots at the party at around 3.45am, arrived to find Boykin dead at the scene. The gunman had already fled. 

A witness said the gathering, which had attracted be was supposed to be a birthday party at the store before it turned tragic. 

The store's manager said they had allowed an employee to throw the party at the store which was still bedecked with balloons and streamers when police arrived.

We're currently trying to figure out exactly what took place,' Sgt. Terry Dixon told Wood TV. 'We're very early on into this incident.''

Police say that shots were fired from both inside the party and outside from 28th Street.

Eight other revelers, aged between 19 and 35, were also hurt in the blaze of bullets at a Clearance Outlet store on 28th Street near Kalamazoo Avenue in Grand Rapids

Eight other revelers, aged between 19 and 35, were also hurt in the blaze of bullets at a Clearance Outlet store on 28th Street near Kalamazoo Avenue in Grand Rapids

Police are still investigating the motives behind the shooting and are hunting for the gunman.

Segen Abraha paid tribute to the shooting victims on social media.

'After Last Night I'm Good on Goin Out in GR,' Abraha wrote. 'I Shouldn't Have to Second Guess Losing My Life Just To Go Out & Enjoy Myself.. my Prayers Go Out To My Boy Tc Smith & The 7 Others Who Were Shot.. & My Condolences Go Out To The Family of The Young Man Who Lost His Life.. we Gotta Do Better Grand Rapids.'  

Anyone with information about the shooting is asked to contact the Grand Rapids Police Department at 616-456-3400 or Silent Observer at 616-774-2345.

No comments have so far been submitted. Why not be the first to send us your thoughts, or debate this issue live on our message boards.

By posting your comment you agree to our house rules.

Who is this week's top commenter? Find out now