Donald and Hillary's ceasefire: Rivals pull their punches and COMPLIMENT one another as Clinton says she likes his children and Trump praises her as 'a fighter'
- Sunday's debate ended on a light note, with an audience member asking Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump to say something nice about each other
- Political smackdown was dominated by slings and arrows until that point
- Clinton said she respects Trump's children, 'and I think that says a lot about Donald'
- Trump countered: Hillary 'doesn't quit. She doesn't give up. I respect that'
The final question in Sunday night's presidential debate was a cool-down moment from 90-minutes of accusations and recriminations.
'Would either of you name one positive thing that you respect in one another?' a member of the town-hall audience asked.
Hillary Clinton wouldn't praise her Republican opponent directly, but said she had 'respect' for the job he has done raising his children.
Trump declared that a 'compliment' and responded in kind by called the Democratic nominee 'a fighter' who 'doesn't give up.'
LIKE OLD FRIENDS: Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump were asked to say something nice about each other as Sunday night's presidential debate ended in St. Louis, Missouri
PRIDE AND JOY: Clinton praised Trump's children (2nd from left: Ivanka, Eric and Donald Jr.) and said they are a reflection on him
NOT SONNY & CHER: Donald and Hillary went after each other for 90 vicious minutes until the cool-down moment came at the end
'I respect his children. His children are incredibly able, and devoted. And I think that says a lot about Donald,' Clinton offered first.
'I don't agree with nearly anything else he says or does, but I do respect that.'
'And I do think that is something that, as a mother and as a grandmother, is very important to me,' she said.
Clinton observed that 'this election has become in part so conflict-oriented, so intense – because there's a lot at stake, this is not an ordinary time and this is not an ordinary election.'
'It's one of the most consequential elections that we have,' she added. 'And that's why I've tried to put forth specific policies and plans, trying to get it off the personal and try to get it on what I want to do as president.'
ALSO WONDERFUL: Trump's younger daughter Tiffany was in the audience Sunday night, hearing something whispered by sister-in-law Vanessa Haydon
Trump listened to Clinton, considered his options, and ultimately said the nicest thing about her that has escaped his lips in the last two years – that she never gives up.
'I consider her statement about my children to be a very nice compliment,' he began. 'I don't know if it was meant to be a compliment, but it is - I'm very proud of my children. They've done a wonderful job and they've been wonderful, wonderful kids, so I consider that a compliment.'
'I can say this about Hillary: She doesn't quit. She doesn't give up. I respect that,' Trump said.
'I tell it like it is,' he offered to anyone who might have doubted his moment of kindness.
FIGHTER: Trump praised Clinton as a dogged politician who 'never gives up'
Trump offered the same asterisk on his praise that Clinton had invoked.
'She's a fighter. I disagree with much of what she's fighting for,' the Republican said.
'I do disagree with her judgment in many cases, but she does fight hard and she doesn't quit and she doesn't give up. And I consider that to be a very good trait.'
Sunday's debate was mostly a slugfest, with Trump accusing Clinton of destroying evidence in the face of a congressional subpoena, mismanaging the State Department and deserving to be in jail.
Clinton parried by calling him 'dangerous' and saying he lives 'in an alternate reality.'
Most watched News videos
- CCTV captures final tragic moments of Mirna Salihin's life
- Mother shaves daughters hair after she 'bullies cancer girl'
- GRAPHIC CONTENT: 'Ghost' rises from body after fatal crash
- Bulls head butt each other then die instantly from brutal blow
- Shocking moment girl gets viciously beaten after starting fight
- Mother releases devastating footage of son's final moments
- Lorry smashes into car leaving driver with severe injuries
- Is this the creepy moment the corpse of a girl OPENS her eyes?
- 'Big fat gypsy wedding' in Romania goes on for FOUR days
- Groom ALREADY tired of marriage life just after 15 minutes
- 'Pascal's a G!' Kim Kardashian speaks well of her bodyguard
- GoPro captures the moment a croc swims amongst swimmers