Audience members LAUGH as Trump declares himself a 'gentleman' for giving Hillary the floor at presidential debate - but are aghast when he stands menacingly behind her to watch her answer the question
- Donald Trump gave his opponent the floor to address Affordable Care Act
- Muttered he was a 'gentleman' for doing so to the amusement of viewers
- He then stood behind Clinton, towering over her as she answered question
- Twitter users were horrified by his stance and likened him to a 'bully'
Donald Trump was laughed at by audience members at the second presidential debate on Sunday as he referred to himself as a 'gentleman' for allowing Hillary Clinton to answer a question before him.
The Republican candidate was asked for his views on the future of the Affordable Care Act, widely referred to as Obamacare, but gave the floor to his opponent.
The audience at Washington University in St Louis, Missouri, laughed as he boasted that he was a 'gentleman' for doing so.
Their laughter quickly turned to bemusement when Trump stood menacingly behind her, sneeringly staring at the back of her head as she answered the question.
Scroll down for video
Trump sparked horror and humour on Sunday as he stood menacingly behind his opponent after giving her the floor, describing himself as a 'gentleman' for doing so
The 70-year-old towered over Clinton as she offered her promises on the subject, peering down at her wearing a sneering expression.
Among those to react to the bizarre stance was CNN reporter Andrew Kaczynski who shared a photograph of the moment with Twitter followers.
The response was from perplexed Twitter followers was mixed. 'What is going on?' he wrote alongside the image.
Some claimed the billionaire was trying to intimidate his opponent, describing him as a 'sexual bully'.
'Trying to show his size compared to Hillary's. Thinks it makes him look more Presidential in his eyes I guess. What a fool he is,' another said.
Others, referring to his lewd comments in 2005 which have sparked mutiny in the GOP since being released on Friday, said crassly: 'Maybe he's trying to grab her p****'.
The move spawned humorous gifs and memes within minutes.
'Look out!' wrote some alongside the image while others joked: 'Watch your back Hillary.'
Viewers likened Trump to a 'stalker' as he stood behind his opponent on Sunday night
The 70-year-old's stance behind his opponent was the subject of hundreds of tweets which labeled him a 'bully'
Viewers were aghast by Trump's stance with some jokingly suggesting he was prepared to 'snap and bludgeon' Clinton
Trump circled his opponent as she spoke, pacing the floor with his microphone held tightly in one hand
He stood, his finger pointed firmly in her direction, as she sat calmly in her chair at one point
Audience members burst into laughter at his claim and later commented on his standing behind Clinton
Trump had been asked what he would do to bring down the cost of Obamacare and improve coverage when he said: 'That first goes to secretary Clinton.'
She declined, prompting him to insist: 'I'm a gentleman, Hillary, Go on.'
The audience laughed, the first of many outbursts in reaction to the Republican candidate on Sunday night.
The pair's debate was kicked off by the subject of Trump's leaked 2005 comments boasting about grabbing women 'by the p****'.
He reiterated his regret, as expressed first in a statement on Friday, but said the remarks were merely 'locker room talk'.
'It's just words, folks,' he later said.
Clinton addressed the issue by claiming the scandal had made her question Trump's fitness to serve as president.
Most watched News videos
- CCTV captures final tragic moments of Mirna Salihin's life
- Mother shaves daughters hair after she 'bullies cancer girl'
- GRAPHIC CONTENT: 'Ghost' rises from body after fatal crash
- Bulls head butt each other then die instantly from brutal blow
- Shocking moment girl gets viciously beaten after starting fight
- Mother releases devastating footage of son's final moments
- Lorry smashes into car leaving driver with severe injuries
- Is this the creepy moment the corpse of a girl OPENS her eyes?
- 'Big fat gypsy wedding' in Romania goes on for FOUR days
- Groom ALREADY tired of marriage life just after 15 minutes
- 'Pascal's a G!' Kim Kardashian speaks well of her bodyguard
- GoPro captures the moment a croc swims amongst swimmers